Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:20 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Tell that to Ron Paul, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, etc.
Austin Petersen was the first libertarian to make a coherent libertarian argument against abortion that I ever heard.

Still, most libertarians I have been around live in a way which is pretty consistent with the LP’s plank on abortion. Even if they don’t personally like it for whatever reason, they aren’t going to use government to beat their point of view into your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 10:24 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's definitely libertarians who believe abortion violates the non-aggression principle. I mean if you consider a fetus a human being then killing it is murder. Most libertarians believe murder should be a crime so there's no contradiction there.

A lot of people just confuse libertarian to always mean "socially left, fiscally right" when in reality it's much more complicated.
Bingo...

Living in Texas, the vast majority of libertarians are more like Ron Paul than Gary Johnson. And with that said, most I have met are pro-life.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Bingo...

Living in Texas, the vast majority of libertarians are more like Ron Paul than Gary Johnson. And with that said, most I have met are pro-life.
Libertarians covers a while range of people. So yes, it’s not surprising that there are pro-lifers out there who are libertarian as well.

I’ve probably been in and around libertarianism long enough that I forgot it’s not something which goes without saying to most folks.

What bothers me more than any of that, is that a lot of people conflate libertarianism with some flavor of anarchism, usually anarchism-capitalism. But that’s another discussion entirely.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:42 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Well anarcho-capitalism is a type of libertarian

Old 02-18-2021, 11:25 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
The Libertarian party (spoiler: not libertarian) is a joke. Ron Paul, the godfather of libertarianism doesn't even support them.
Ron Paul is more like a paleoconservative, him not supporting the LP is not because they aren't libertarian.

That being said, yes many libertatians are pro life. But even then they tend to oppose Kay Ivey-esque abortion laws.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's definitely libertarians who believe abortion violates the non-aggression principle. I mean if you consider a fetus a human being then killing it is murder. Most libertarians believe murder should be a crime so there's no contradiction there.

A lot of people just confuse libertarian to always mean "socially left, fiscally right" when in reality it's much more complicated.
Libertarians are strongly against gun control, anti-smoking laws, firework prohibition, motorcycle helmet laws, etc. So they really aren't "socially liberal" in the sense that term is usually used. Plus they believe in freedom of association, meaning that they side with the baker's right to not make a gay wedding cake.

"Socially libertarian" is a more accurate description.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Well anarcho-capitalism is a type of libertarian
I kind of disagree. Sorta. But the annoying part is that’s what people think libertarianism is.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Wyoming, Montana, and all those states are way more libertarian
Idaho and Oklahoma too.

Kevin Stitt is probably the most libertarian governor.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I kind of disagree. Sorta. But the annoying part is that’s what people think libertarianism is.
It's the most extreme form of libertarianism.

The more common mistake people make is thinking that libertarianism is a weird mix of the Dem's social policies and the Republican's fiscal policies (in reality it is neither).

Old 02-18-2021, 11:58 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Just curious, what is the libertarian take on Game Theory and the Prisoners' Dilemma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas