Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 01:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The irony being that the power went out in much of Texas well before those record low temps were hit. When the power went out on the night of Feb 14th most places were cold but not record cold. Dallas was still around 10 degrees which is very very cold, but pretty much in the range of what temps were during a number of cold snaps in the 80s.
I lost power after the temps dropped and it began snowing like crazy. Tuesday or Wednesday - I get the days confused now. I didn't hear of much till then, they I started hearing more and more about it.

THEN the boil notices started coming in. GOOD TIMES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 04:39 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,344,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Before people start jumping down my throat at the thought of the thread I'm just making this based off a couple of comments I heard from Native Texans, transplants and those thinking of moving here. I don't know how people will feel once the smoke has settled and things get back to "normal", I know there was quite a few Houstonians that felt like leaving the city right after Harvey only to remain in the city once the city got back to some normality. But I wonder how people feel this time especially realizing how the state pretty much left their residents to fend for themselves. And it's not like these incidents continue to happen because of nature itself but men's negligence due to corruption and greed.

As much good news Texas has gotten due to an influx of corporations and migration here we continue to get these embarrassing responses to natural disaster and the people that pay for it the most are everyday citizens of this state. Like I said I don't know how people will feel as time moves forward but people can't continue going through these blunders. Especially in Southeast Texas where we've been hit with these "once in a lifetime" natural disasters what's now seeming like every 2 to 3 years in the past decade or so. Not to mention in the middle of a pandemic.

But I like to hear from the rest of yall on this subject.
Even with the crime rate, sprawl and flooding I still had Houston on my radar. The city is one of the very few in this country where a black working class citizen can do well, if not thrive in, despite its faults. But after the mess this week, nope. And it's not due to the "once in a lifetime" event. Again, the place gets floods.

The state had a decade to prepare for this. They were warned to winterize the infrastructure and warned to regulate the grid. You're in the middle of the country; you can't escape Artic air forever. But because of muh independence/regulation iz bad lolz, the pols shrugged 'em off and look what happened. Just like I can't reside in a city/state that rewards lawlessness, I can't reside in a libertarian(with a lower l)state that has a disdain for its citizens.

I feel for the residents. I get why people think Texas has an it factor--I believed that too. But there's a reason Scotty Kilmer left.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:45 PM

431 posts, read 257,944 times
Quote:
I've noticed something else more sinister too going on with people outside the state's reactions. And I'm no REPUBLICAN or conservative by any stretch of the imagination but I've seen a lot of ugly comments from liberals/democrats in other states. Or people in other states who have family members who moved down here and bragged about how much they like Texas better than such and such state they came from. I'm seeing a lot of glee in Texans suffering. And that's not even an exaggeration. I get the disdain in criticism aimed at politicians and people who stand behind those politicians who put us in this situation. But don't like broad generalization of Blue or anti-GOP Texans who are suffering just the same. That's how political divisive this country has gotten where everyday people not politicians are using disasters like this to shame people and gloat how so much better their party is. People could careless if people have died.
Well said. This should not have been politicized but we have the equivalent of trolls gloating that the state had to deal with this event.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Well said. This should not have been politicized but we have the equivalent of trolls gloating that the state had to deal with this event.
Exactly. It's often glee masquerading as concern. Personally I find it disgusting but hey, that's just me.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:34 AM

92 posts, read 44,539 times
I must say, its obvious at this point that Houston, in particular, is unprepared for everything. Any glitch other than the normal blistering heat and humidity causes city wide shutdowns. Hurricanes, too much rain, frost, snow, ice. Anything shuts the city down. It seems to be a horribly run city. Its saving grace is its self sustaining energy economy, which is ironic considering its the energy capital of the US but remained out of power for a week.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:22 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,271,763 times
Quote:
I've noticed something else more sinister too going on with people outside the state's reactions. And I'm no REPUBLICAN or conservative by any stretch of the imagination but I've seen a lot of ugly comments from liberals/democrats in other states. Or people in other states who have family members who moved down here and bragged about how much they like Texas better than such and such state they came from. I'm seeing a lot of glee in Texans suffering. And that's not even an exaggeration. I get the disdain in criticism aimed at politicians and people who stand behind those politicians who put us in this situation. But don't like broad generalization of Blue or anti-GOP Texans who are suffering just the same. That's how political divisive this country has gotten where everyday people not politicians are using disasters like this to shame people and gloat how so much better their party is. People could careless if people have died.
This is true, there's definitely an effect of divisiveness that's affecting reactions. As a matter of fact, the signs were present even without a disaster of this level. Even on this very site, any mention of Texas (or many of its cities for that matter) always brings about some sort of off-topic disdain - it doesn't matter what the topic is, or how detailed, nuanced the discussion was otherwise. I often find more interest in seeing the mechanisms of the situation, as well as details of the situation, rather than the "team-playing" soundbites people are using in defense of their respective sides. And this definitely goes for both sides -it was just as annoying seeing many fellow Texans laugh off the wildfire crises seen earlier in California. This is the reason way there's often more solace and unity revolving around specific hobbies, interests, etc, which creates more interesting discussions and knowledge rather than the general "team-playing" nature in processes like politics.

But it's possible that this is what the "Russian bots" wanted all along. All they need to do is sow the seeds of discord with anonymous accounts, and watch the implosion unfold...

Old 02-20-2021, 10:35 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,271,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire1 View Post
I must say, its obvious at this point that Houston, in particular, is unprepared for everything. Any glitch other than the normal blistering heat and humidity causes city wide shutdowns. Hurricanes, too much rain, frost, snow, ice. Anything shuts the city down. It seems to be a horribly run city. Its saving grace is its self sustaining energy economy, which is ironic considering its the energy capital of the US but remained out of power for a week.
The city has its issues, but you're exaggerating quite a bit. Especially as the problems from this current event have been statewide.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:39 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The city has its issues, but you're exaggerating quite a bit. Especially as the problems from this current event have been statewide.
It's an attempt to blame democrats for everything. The county has only been democratic for 3 years or so and its far better off now than the ****hole that the Republicans left

Old 02-20-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It's an attempt to blame democrats for everything. The county has only been democratic for 3 years or so and its far better off now than the ****hole that the Republicans left
I don't know why every single conversation devolves into political sniping. It's depressing.

But since you brought it up, let me add that the post you're referencing states that the issues were state wide. Last time I checked, Texas was considered a "red" state and has been considered as such for many, many years.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:05 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know why every single conversation devolves into political sniping. It's depressing.

But since you brought it up, let me add that the post you're referencing states that the issues were state wide. Last time I checked, Texas was considered a "red" state and has been considered as such for many, many years.
Infrastructure sucked in the previously red county, and it sucks in the overall red state. we know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas