Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:37 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,612,278 times

Advertisements

After the bullet train was all but officially canceled, lost funding, and lost government back up, seems like a new project is here to make the same ultra fast transportation claim.

"Within 10 years"... Similar to the Bullet Train's announcement when it first came out.

https://aecom.com/projects/hyperloop-texas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
After the bullet train was all but officially canceled, lost funding, and lost government back up, seems like a new project is here to make the same ultra fast transportation claim.

"Within 10 years"... Similar to the Bullet Train's announcement when it first came out.

https://aecom.com/projects/hyperloop-texas/
Can you direct me to info. about Texas Central losing funding? Or that it has been all but officially cancelled? And what government back up are you talking about?

Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
TCR was supposedly seeking some sort of federal financing available to private RRs. Hopefully others can provide a definitive reference.

Nevertheless, the outfit has never provided evidence that they have sufficient investment capital to undertake the project. Given the insanely outlandish capital costs it will take to build the project, everyone should remain utterly skeptical that they can pull it off, IMHO. And the potential for massive high-value commercial development around the stations which would provide them another source of return is also oversold.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
TCR was supposedly seeking some sort of federal financing available to private RRs. Hopefully others can provide a definitive reference.

Nevertheless, the outfit has never provided evidence that they have sufficient investment capital to undertake the project. Given the insanely outlandish capital costs it will take to build the project, everyone should remain utterly skeptical that they can pull it off, IMHO. And the potential for massive high-value commercial development around the stations which would provide them another source of return is also oversold.
IMO it's not that dour. Assuming full licensure, permitting and the state or courts not throwing a curveball if/when TRC offers a large funding round it'll be well subscribed.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
IMO it's not that dour. Assuming full licensure, permitting and the state or courts not throwing a curveball if/when TRC offers a large funding round it'll be well subscribed.
Passenger rail capital costs in the U.S. are extraordinarily higher than in other countries (lots of folks have looked into this, but there's no one single explanation as to why). And HSR capital costs are even higher than regular rail.

I don't question the demand side of their model, so long as their fares are competitive with economy air fares. But I am really skeptical that it will be enough to balance the capital cost side for a sufficient return.

Why wouldn't HSR have offered some sort a large funding round to date, even if it was contingent upon full legal approvals? It would definitely be in their political interest to publicize large capital commitments. The fact that there's been nothing on this level publicized by TCR over the number of years this project has been in process makes me even more skeptical.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Passenger rail capital costs in the U.S. are extraordinarily higher than in other countries (lots of folks have looked into this, but there's no one single explanation as to why). And HSR capital costs are even higher than regular rail.

I don't question the demand side of their model, so long as their fares are competitive with economy air fares. But I am really skeptical that it will be enough to balance the capital cost side for a sufficient return.

Why wouldn't HSR have offered some sort a large funding round to date, even if it was contingent upon full legal approvals? It would definitely be in their political interest to publicize large capital commitments. The fact that there's been nothing on this level publicized by TCR over the number of years this project has been in process makes me even more skeptical.

There's no way to gather much funding money in advance of need and high confidence legal resolution to proceed among projects like this......IIRC CRS did raise $75 or $100 million a while back but that's pre-operational money only. Clear all that and there will be sovereign and pension funds, maybe-PE, and institutional investor monies interested......The Texas Permanent School Fund might be interested. Worldwide there is a cash glut and some of that cash is controlled by people looking for risk investment.

As an aside I'm not sure why green-types are not all over this as a means to decrease auto traffic on 45, 35 etc.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:20 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,612,278 times
I have a theory that the reason there's been slow comings of bullet trains and general transit is because new transportation technologies are rolling out. Not exactly what OP is mentioning, but the rise of BRT for example has a cheaper building cost with a self driving future to be able to operate at very high self driving capacities.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:19 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Simple,
it's not subsidized

But it's ok to spend 10 times more adding 2-4 lanes to highways.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Simple,
it's not subsidized

But it's ok to spend 10 times more adding 2-4 lanes to highways.
Well, there's still folks pushing for the publicly subsidized version in the I-35 corridor. Not saying that's a good idea.

And Texas did do highway expansions, yes, but also moved away from that substantially by going the toll route (see what I did there?) until political opposition built up too much from dunderheads who think there's endless dedicated gas tax revenue. That's a whole 'nother discussion...

Old 03-03-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
There's no way to gather much funding money in advance of need and high confidence legal resolution to proceed among projects like this......IIRC CRS did raise $75 or $100 million a while back but that's pre-operational money only. Clear all that and there will be sovereign and pension funds, maybe-PE, and institutional investor monies interested......The Texas Permanent School Fund might be interested. Worldwide there is a cash glut and some of that cash is controlled by people looking for risk investment.

As an aside I'm not sure why green-types are not all over this as a means to decrease auto traffic on 45, 35 etc.
The competition would be more with flying, in reality, though TCR publicizes itself as an option to driving. Of course, reducing flying still has significant emissions benefits. Remember, you're not supposed to take that European vacation anymore unless you're sailing over there (and I mean on a sailboat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: