Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

I'd gladly retire in Texas out in the Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis area. But I'll probably end up in New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 PM

219 posts, read 811,219 times
no lakewooder I did not see a small part...I have travelled through the entire state...and the entire United States...if you go to the hill country which I do like a little bit and you think that is hilly...that is not what I consider hilly...there are areas of the US that are BREATHTAKING...Texas is not my cup of tea...no matter where it is...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It goes back to the fact that Texas before joining the unon was it's own coutry;the republic of texas. Also the fact that it is so large and so varied.
Wouldn't was be the proper linking verb to use rather than is as it is just another state in the union, nothing special.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
I agree that though TX may be vast and varied, there are simply many other superb places in the US. I, for one, am not close to retiring and will do more "research" (aka travelling) over the next decade(s).
A major advantage of TX is that it does have a low cost of living and the winters (in most areas) are quite tolerable.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
I can't wait to get back to Texas, so YES I plan on dying in Texas. I live in a lush hilly... beautiful place (Kentucky... for 5 yrs) but for me, scenery isn't everything. The people in Texas are what I miss the most. Yes, I do have tons of family in TX... but besides that... there is just nothing that compares to the Texas hospitality. I also love the pride Texans have for their state.... you see Texas flags being flown everywhere.... I hardly ever see that here, and I've looked for it.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'd gladly retire in Texas out in the Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis area. But I'll probably end up in New Mexico.
Although I have been looking at rural retirement homes in my native State of Texas, there seems to be an increasing probablity that I will stay in New Mexico where I am now. Property prices are much higher in New Mexico than in Texas but Texas property taxes can easily add back that extra cost in just a few years.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 PM

219 posts, read 811,219 times
I am not trying to bad mouth Texas but that pride in Texas that you mentioned is the actual down fall of South Texas. They have so much pride they turn a blind eye to the corruption and drug traffic.

As for hospitality. I find people in TN for example are much more friendly and polite then TX. Yes sir and yes mam from the children in that area is so cool.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Default Property & Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Property prices are much higher in New Mexico than in Texas but Texas property taxes can easily add back that extra cost in just a few years.
I'd say it depends where in NM you are talking about, but in general I agree, particularly about the taxes!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i know what the poster is trying to say...just like Texas Tourism has its slogan "Texas, It's Another Country"..along those lines......
btw, military retirement is not taxed, so i doubt govt pension would be. LOTS of military retirees here!
Actually, no income is taxed by Texas, military or any other. However, Uncle Sam loves to tax military pensions, and at a higher rate as that amount is added on top of your regular income.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Wouldn't was be the proper linking verb to use rather than is as it is just another state in the union, nothing special.
No. Texas IS a "big state". The size of it IS still LARGE compared to most other states. Was is past tense. The size of Texas has not changed in a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME! One would say, Texas IS large and varied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas