Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,961,892 times

Advertisements

One thing about Texas I dont like is the Minium Wage laws.

Have any of you ever worked as a waiter/waitress? Bartender? Tipped Employee? $2.13 an hour is not enough to live on, and as you know most people dont tip... I understand the way it works is that the employer has to make up what ever tips dont cover to make minium wage.

Thats just crap. A tipped employee should be paid the same as everyone else and make tips for the job they do is a pain in the butt. You deal with a drunk ******* at 3am.

Why is it that 5 states on JAN 1st raised the minium wage.. because an American forced to work at $5.15 an hour can not survive. And if you cant survive on that, then how can you at half that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,657,499 times
Hmmm...I was a waiter for 10 years, and feel somewhat qualified to comment.
- If, over two weeks, you do not average minimum wage, your employer must make up the difference.
- If you are a waiter/waitress and do not make at least minimum wage, the place you are working must really have some sleazy clientel, or you are in the wrong line of work.

I worked at two places for about five years each, one of which was 'moderate' (price-wise) and the other was definitely working-class. I averaged $12-14/hour after taxes (yes, I paid my taxes) in both places. These jobs were generally dinner-time shifts, but lunch shifts still made ~$10/hour, I would guess.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Thats great.. but in Oregon as an example they dont pay less than minium. you get what is it $7.65 an hour plus your tips. The Same with Washinton State. I have a buddy living in Tacoma that makes $8.50 an hour plus tips, and he is making on average 21-24 bucks an hour.

So why pay a tipped worker less than anyone else?

Oh and I am not a Tipped Worker, I owned a bar called the Eagles Nest with my Mom a wile back.. the Left El Paso for a bit to try my hand at something else.. and came back when my grandmother passed away, I am now working law enforcement on a military base.

Just one of my pet peeves about is the fact the pay someone in that job market less than minium. Even though by your standerds you made far more. But think of what you could of made if you were on an equal pay range.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
Yeah a little different up here in Albuquerque as the cities new minimum wage law kicked in today which is higher than New Mexico's. So people in ABQ will make more money than the surrounding cities but the Mayor is mad because he believes some employers will leave ABQ and go to nearby Rio Rancho Or Los Lunes...

Old 01-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Whats the Minimum there now? The Gov. should of made a state wide increase and that would of solved that problem.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM

It rose to 6.75 jan 1 and jan 1, 2008 to 7.15 and jan 1, 2009 7.50 in increments. Yeah the gov (richardson) has said he wants the whole state to be at 7.50 by jan 1, 2008 so we'll see what happens at the legislature stating later this month. However up here the wages are pretty good as thats why i live here instead of El Paso...

Old 01-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Humm.. My Wifes best friend lives there.. and you have a river.. we dont anymore.. You get snow.. hahaha.. and more rain than we do I think. I may have to look into moving up there as well. But its not as green as I would want it, and I dont think there is a large body of water to get lounge near and hang out with the kids.. without driving for hours.

Thats awesome though.. 6.75 is pretty good for a minium wage. Seems this area thrives on its minium wage jobs. $7.50 would be great, I hope it happens, means everyone here will move to Las Cruices and Almagordo.. and hell maybe even Chaperral.

Dont you have an income tax or something? I was always told to live in New Mexico but work in Texas.. something to do with taxes.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

Dont you have an income tax or something? I was always told to live in New Mexico but work in Texas.. something to do with taxes.
Yeap we do but its low and the gov cut the rates from 8.9 % to about 4 %. I get paid every 2 weeks so it like $40.00 out of my check but who cares as the wages are good here. Also our property taxes are lower than E.P. I have family in other cities and lived in a few different ones and i'm shocked that ABQ pays so well. Its higher than San Antonio, Tucson, and Oklahoma City in our region but Phoenix, Dallas and Denver pay better but thats to be expected.

We are farther than E.P. to Elephant Butte and the river here is a wildlife river with no recreation say like the Pecos river in Carlsbad where they can Jet ski right thru the middle of the town.Also with the exeption of Juarez our crime really bad here compared to El Paso. They even had a story in the paper a while back that auto theft here was as bad as E.P. and were 280 miles from juarez..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas