Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 02:28 PM

447 posts, read 488,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
US World News and World Report ranks Utah public schools 10th and Texas public schools 34th.

Many public schools in Utah offer Dual Language Immersion programs starting in elementary school. Students have the ability to have a bilingual educational school experience and learn Chinese, French, Portugese, German or Spanish. They recognize that kids need to be able to compete globally not just locally. There are not any public school systems in DFW that offer anything similar that I am aware of?

Sorry, I just don't think Texas public schools are all that great. My child has attended public school in Texas since starting Kindergarten and is a junior now. She was pulled out in 1st grade for gifted and talented. She has never even learned about the Holocaust or WWII in school. What kind of quality education is that? These are topics most schools in other states cover in middle school.

My daughter is in the top 3% of her class and has taken college level classes since 9th grade. We value education in our home and have taught many topics on our own and had her in outside activities/programs. Overall, I've been pretty unimpressed by public education in Texas. It lacks.

Many school districts have issues with funding and voters consistently voting down bond packages to fund education. It's shocking to me people don't want to fund public education in Texas. There is a high percentage of students who live below the poverty line, have behavioral problems, drugs, etc. Throw in the nonsense with banning books now in school. It's a little backwoods/redneck to me. Texas needs to do better.
TX school system is ok. I'm not a fan of public school system in general but TX is "no worse nor better" than anywhere else in US. Actually, I would rank Montgomery county TX school system great, with a lot of extras in education. All my children went thru the public system.
Please, don't take US World Report ranks so seriously by the way they rank schools. They have their own agenda.
All this what you describing about your schools are here( Montgomery county) too. Dual Language immersion is here since pre-K, GT programs, preAP and AP classes is norm here. My son skipped 2 years of math- normal. Ended up with pretty much finishing HS with associate degree, possible here. Again, I don't know Dallas or other cities, but Houston burbs are highly competitive in education. Btw, school bonds passed here after some evaluation. People will pass things but they want to hold officials accountable for the spending and want to see where the money go to.

OP, what you describing would fit the Montgomery county. Check it out. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 02:41 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjar5 View Post
..............What, in your opinions, are some things we should know about TX? Could we find what we are looking for in the DFW area? If not, where else would you suggest we look? How you do you think these areas rank as far as our criteria? If you have experience with both TX and FL, which do you think has the most of what we are looking for?

Thank you so much in advance!
I would think so. We lived in Arlington, between Dallas and Ft Worth, for several years and miss it to this day.
We're retired and not going to go back - family is in Mississippi - but if we were younger and looking for a home where employment was plentiful it would be Arlington.

A young man changed lanes and hit my car one Sunday night in Weatherford, TX (West of Ft Worth). He stopped and got out to talk to me. There was no damage, and that young man stood up straight up with his starched white shirt and his cowboy hat and addressed me as, "Sir". I asked him if he had been drinking.
Yes, Sir.
Do you have far to go?
No, Sir. My girl friend has to be home in a few minutes. She lives at --- XX street. We're on our way there.

I let him go and smiled for days.....
I miss Texas.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 693,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
TX school system is ok. I'm not a fan of public school system in general but TX is "no worse nor better" than anywhere else in US. Actually, I would rank Montgomery county TX school system great, with a lot of extras in education. All my children went thru the public system.
Please, don't take US World Report ranks so seriously by the way they rank schools. They have their own agenda.
All this what you describing about your schools are here( Montgomery county) too. Dual Language immersion is here since pre-K, GT programs, preAP and AP classes is norm here. My son skipped 2 years of math- normal. Ended up with pretty much finishing HS with associate degree, possible here. Again, I don't know Dallas or other cities, but Houston burbs are highly competitive in education. Btw, school bonds passed here after some evaluation. People will pass things but they want to hold officials accountable for the spending and want to see where the money go to.

OP, what you describing would fit the Montgomery county. Check it out. Good luck
The only issue she might find with Montgomery Co would be her job prospects and commute. Hell - it can take 30 minutes just to get to the Hardy.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:54 PM

447 posts, read 488,183 times
Yeah, everything depends where you live. I have 99 5 minutes away. No problem for me.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
DFW and all of the major cities in Texas aren't conservative enough for you. Try Amarillo or better yet, Midland/Odessa.
I don't see why not.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
OP sounds easily triggered by any mention of vaccines and masks, so will definitely feel unwelcome in any of the big 4. At Midessa or Amarillo however people look at you funny if you wear a mask so I would say that's where they should go.
In San Antonio you are the odd one out if you wear a mask. I don't recall many people wearing masks in Austin or Houston either when I visited in the past few months.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
In San Antonio you are the odd one out if you wear a mask. I don't recall many people wearing masks in Austin or Houston either when I visited in the past few months.
Yeah. You see some out and about, I just assume they’re not vaccinated and go on with my life.

I don’t think some of the posters here understand the scope of how different TX is from some of the Uber-liberal cities on the west coast.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:55 PM

I think the people wearing masks are more likely to be vaccinated than not

Old 12-08-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I think the people wearing masks are more likely to be vaccinated than not
Who knows. The CDC guidance says otherwise so I don’t wear one as I’ve been vaccinated. Personally, I really don’t care one way or the other if people do or don’t, although it is annoying when someone is wearing one behind on of those plexiglass screens and mumbling and you’re left guessing wtf they were saying.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:30 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,254,071 times
I don't give a flying rip who wears a mask because I have my N95 on based on my own personal risk category.

The bottom line with the pandemic is that the healthcare system cannot handle it. If they could I doubt there would be mandates at all. I think they just can't have dead bodies piling up all over the place in the streets because that's not good PR for the Taxpayers, you know?

Try to take a step back and think objectively about the entire situation (instead of picking sides) and we'll all be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas