Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 12:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,242,936 times

Advertisements

Texas DPS Drivers License System is archaic and back in the 20th century by not printing physical drivers license cards at DPS site, forcing TX residents to have no other option to wait up to a month to have it delivered via US Postal Service. What would it take in the system to roll out printing DL cards on site, at least piloting at the DPS Mega Centers?

Every other state I have lived in since 2000 other than TX has issued a physical card on site. Waiting a month for it to arrive via US Mail leaves TX residents without a valid ID for business/personal travel, such that they cannot travel by air, check into a hotel, or rent a car. While TX facilities may recognize the temp paper ID, TSA and non-TX places DO NOT.

Also, USPS has been terribly unreliable and getting worse, frequently misdelivering mail, heaven forbid they deliver the TX DL to wrong address and it is either lost or used for criminal ID theft.

We need to get TX to issue licenses on site, or at least have options to do so at Mega Centers. Technology to do this has been around for decades.

If necessary, I would gladly pay a fee to have this printed on site as an optional service so the powers that be can tout it as revenue netural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 02:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
REAL ID requires IDs and DLs to be printed at a central secure facility and delivered by mail. My uncle was surprised when he received the temporary paper DL after moving from Illinois, which had instant issue cards.

From his former state:

https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/dr...ance/home.html

Quote:
Meanwhile, the applicant's information is sent to a centralized, secure facility in Illinois. After fraud checks have been conducted to ensure the applicant's identity, a higher quality, more secure DL/ID will be printed and sent via U.S. mail within 15 business days to the applicant's address.

This new process, central issuance, meets REAL ID requirements mandated by DHS. Illinois is not the first state to transition to central issuance. In fact, 39 other states have already done so. This includes heavily populated states like California, Texas, New York and Florida – as well as Illinois' neighboring states.

Also, central issuance allows better identity theft prevention by allowing the office to investigate possible fraud before applicants receive their DL/ID. In addition, the design of the DL/ID card has been upgraded with important features that over-the-counter technology simply cannot produce.
I guess Texas was ahead of the curve on this one!

Old 01-15-2022, 02:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 693,759 times
I’ve lived in 7 states. None issued on the spot.

And thank your GOP for the REAL ID act that only added more hurdles.

Then, be an adult and get a passport, with a passport card. I carry 3-4 forms of ID at all times. Get a CHL whip you’re at it too - those are real ID complaint.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post

Then, be an adult and get a passport, with a passport card. I carry 3-4 forms of ID at all times. Get a CHL whip you’re at it too - those are real ID complaint.

Well this effing SUCKS. I find USPS in TX to be grossly negligent in their consistent mishandling of mail, including important documents. A close friend of mine suffered from ID theft due to USPS mishandling his Texas DL.

Its not the TX DL Process that sucks, it's that USPS is SO BAD!!

Old 01-15-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Not getting a passport card at renewal since cannot get a USPS tracking number. Can at least expedite the regular passport and get a tracking number.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Well this effing SUCKS. I find USPS in TX to be grossly negligent in their consistent mishandling of mail, including important documents. A close friend of mine suffered from ID theft due to USPS mishandling his Texas DL.

So. You post about a Texas issue to complain about a mail issue? That’s really what this boils down to, right?

In short terms, your failure to plan is not their emergency.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:37 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Passport Card is useless unless you’re driving into Mexico. It can’t be used for air travel.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:44 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post

And that is news?

Old 01-16-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Passport Card is useless unless you’re driving into Mexico. It can’t be used for air travel.
Absolutely 100% can be used for air travel within the states, same as a DL. OP was complaining about a license renewal.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification

It’s the third item listed.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
So. You post about a Texas issue to complain about a mail issue? That’s really what this boils down to, right?

In short terms, your failure to plan is not their emergency.
I didn't fail to do anything. I do not trust my local USPS office to follow federal law and properly handle my mail.

Disappointed in how many a$$holes are out there these days (within USPS). What happened to common decency and common courtesy?

Last edited by Htown2013; 01-16-2022 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas