Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas keep "Confederate Heroes Day" as a state holiday?
Yes 19 28.36%
No 48 71.64%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 05:35 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,549,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I guess I just see the World differently .., I don’t count the number of people at the theater that are the same color as the people in the movie I’m watching.
If it were LIVE THEATRE or a LIVE CONCERT then yes I will notice the race/ethnicities/age/gender of the attendees, but not for a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 07:44 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,311,830 times
I guess <KathrynAragon> went around the theater with a flashlight counting people

Old 01-27-2022, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I would wager the hispanics in Texas look less hispanic on average than hispanics in other states, besides maybe New Mexico.
Why would you wager that?

Old 01-27-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I guess I just see the World differently .., I don’t count the number of people at the theater that are the same color as the people in the movie I’m watching.
It was easy for me to notice considering it was on a Monday night during a pandemic and the theater wasn't crowded, as I already stated. Otherwise I don't generally pay attention to it one way or the other.

Also, the lights were on for all the previews so no need for a flashlight. No one came in after the movie started (I did notice that because they would have had to walk in front of me).

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-27-2022 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
If it were LIVE THEATRE or a LIVE CONCERT then yes I will notice the race/ethnicities/age/gender of the attendees, but not for a movie.
Sigh. Listen, here's the deal:

I usually don't notice it one way or the other. I go where I like and see whoever I want to see and actually pay very little attention to who is where in ANY venue. But I've explained why I happened to notice it this time.

Get this - I also noticed that most people who go to one of the malls around here are African American and they look to be young, like under 30. I must totally be a racist AND an ageist to notice this!

Old 01-27-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
OK let's be for real here.

If you went to a movie and everyone in the theater was one color, would you notice that? Why or why not?

But I've always been very interested in marketing concepts. For instance, I can generally tell whether or not I'm going to like a particular movie based on the previews shown - which are marketed to a particular demographic group.

I didn't have to "count" anyone anyway - it wasn't a big crowd since it was a rainy Monday evening (repeating myself).

Old 01-27-2022, 08:25 AM

I am not your enemy - don't make me into one.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:39 AM

18,134 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK let's be for real here.

If you went to a movie and everyone in the theater was one color, would you notice that? Why or why not?

But I've always been very interested in marketing concepts. For instance, I can generally tell whether or not I'm going to like a particular movie based on the previews shown - which are marketed to a particular demographic group.

I didn't have to "count" anyone anyway - it wasn't a big crowd since it was a rainy Monday evening (repeating myself).
I was joking around and messing with you

I don't see the people the way most people do in the US.

I grew up in a latin country where it's common for people to have relatives in all colors.
Here .. my dad's family would be labelled black

at the same time, one of my kids is blonde with blue eyes.

I see skin color the same way I see red or blue shirts. I see it, but I'm not stuck on that.

You ask me how many white/black people were in an event, you might as well ask me how many people had red/blue shirts in that event and I'll give you the same answer.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I was joking around and messing with you

I don't see the people the way most people do in the US.

I grew up in a latin country where it's common for people to have relatives in all colors.
Here .. my dad's family would be labelled black

at the same time, one of my kids is blonde with blue eyes.

I see skin color the same way I see red or blue shirts. I see it, but I'm not stuck on that.

You ask me how many white/black people were in an event, you might as well ask me how many people had red/blue shirts in that event and I'll give you the same answer.
Ok and thanks for the information.

My immediate family is very, very multicultural, multiracial, etc. For some perspective, only one of my eight grandkids has blue eyes and blonde hair, and she's definitely multiracial (this was sort of a surprise to us but she's gorgeous!). The rest have dark hair and dark eyes. We have African American, white non Hispanic, Hispanic, Asian, you name it - all in my immediate family.

So I don't focus on color generally but like I said, occasionally I will notice it, like I did this past rainy Monday night, in an uncrowded theater.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:27 PM

256 posts, read 156,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Canadians are correct for not using the “indigenous” misnomer. Are the Canadians playing semantics?

Columbus deserves recognition for opening the Western Hemisphere to European colonization and exploitation. I could care less if some want to celebrate it or not. It should not be a holiday for schools or government entities, but private businesses can choose to do so, IMO.

Confederate statues & memorials belong in museums or private businesses, not in public/government venues. Reconciliation of the past was fine, but to continue to glorify those who fought to preserve an evil institution is bad form. Those who want to honor them can do so without public monuments.
Canadians generally use the term "aboriginal", but you hear "indigenous" a lot. You especially hear it among those who propagate the Turtle Island perspective. "First Nations" is a distinctively official term.

And yeah, having a day that celebrates treason is an absolute embarrassment. But let's also not pretend that the whole purpose for Anglo expansion into Texas wasn't land speculation for the purpose of plantation agriculture, using some kind of bonded labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas