Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 11:33 AM

573 posts, read 342,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
So basically, the more Texas gets filled with non-natives...the worse it gets? More crime, less friendly, more expensive, declining schools and infrastructure.

I have thought this for a very long time, as one that was born and raised here. The people making Texas and Houston worse have mostly come here from other places. People on both side of the aisle like Dan Patrick AND Lina Hildago.
Ah, so that means the 1970s influx of Vietnamese, recent Afghanis and other ME, Indians from the late 70s and 80, and recent tech boom Indians, the never ending non-stop influx of Hispanics from Mexico and Latin America....and even Blacks from other states are moving here from other states and Africa.....in other words according to White Race Raider Scott (with no white privilege!), non-whites are the vast majority (95% recnetly!) of the unfriendlies, criminals, and cause of declines in schools and infrastructure.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08...s-2020-census/

People of color make up 95% of Texas’ population growth, and cities and suburbs are booming, 2020 census shows

Go show those recent 95% non-native non-white TX residents what happens to unfriendly expensive declining schools and infrastructure criminals by the No White Privilege Raiders of TX! Yee-Haw!

I, on the other hand, welcome all races, politics, beliefs, etc. to TX - bring more people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 01:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 843,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Ah, so that means the 1970s influx of Vietnamese, recent Afghanis and other ME, Indians from the late 70s and 80, and recent tech boom Indians, the never ending non-stop influx of Hispanics from Mexico and Latin America....and even Blacks from other states are moving here from other states and Africa.....in other words according to White Race Raider Scott (with no white privilege!), non-whites are the vast majority (95% recnetly!) of the unfriendlies, criminals, and cause of declines in schools and infrastructure.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08...s-2020-census/

People of color make up 95% of Texas’ population growth, and cities and suburbs are booming, 2020 census shows

Go show those recent 95% non-native non-white TX residents what happens to unfriendly expensive declining schools and infrastructure criminals by the No White Privilege Raiders of TX! Yee-Haw!

I, on the other hand, welcome all races, politics, beliefs, etc. to TX - bring more people!

You make no sense at all.

I was drawing a conclusion and asking a question, based on the info the the other poster had laid out. That Texas is not friendly anymore and that it was expensive, had higher crime, failing schools and was not as good a place as it used to be to live in. At the same time, more non-natives have moved in - that is a fact.

Do they correlate? I don't know...that WAS the question I was asking. Maybe...maybe not. People here LOVE to go on about how Texas is not friendly...maybe it is the newer transplants that make it unfriendly- who knows? This is sort of a hard thing to measure. Some people find Texas friendly...so do not. How Do you measure this?

I am still waiting for the brilliant souls here to tell me HOW I have any privilege or advantages over the non-whites. Laugh all you want but NONE of you have given me ONE specific example or fact, showing how this is true. I laugh back, wondering how you all came to these conclusions.

What REALLY makes no sense is the crazy, erratic lists the OP has made at the beginning. So THOSE would be your reasons for leaving? It is an odd gathering of grievances and likes.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:23 PM

5,605 posts, read 7,893,622 times
Quote:

I am still waiting for the brilliant souls here to tell me HOW I have any privilege or advantages over the non-whites. Laugh all you want but NONE of you have given me ONE specific example or fact, showing how this is true. I laugh back, wondering how you all came to these conclusions.
You are less likely to be shot by a cop for minding your own business.

And you are more likely to get loan application, job application, or housing application approved or accepted than someone with equal qualifications who is black.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:07 PM

18,194 posts, read 25,458,025 times
Quote:
I have thought this for a very long time, as one that was born and raised here. The people making Texas and Houston worse have mostly come here from other places. People on both side of the aisle like Dan Patrick AND Lina Hildago.
I guess you don't know much about Texas
Texas has ALWAYS been full of none Texans

Stephen Austin - Born in Virginia and raised in southeastern Missouri
Sam Houston - Born in Rockbridge County, Virginia, Houston and his family migrated to Maryville, Tennessee, when Houston was a teenager
James Bowie - Bowie was born in Kentucky. He spent most of his life in Louisiana, where he was raised and where he later worked as a land speculator
William Travis - Born in South Carolina, and grew up in Alabama
Davy Crockett - Born and raised in Tennessee

Old 02-24-2022, 05:01 PM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 6 days ago)

11,315 posts, read 7,348,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Davy Crockett - Born and raised in Tennessee
And along those lines, reading more about his life, I was surprised to discover that of his fourty-nine years of life, only a few months were spent in Texas. He truly was a newcomer on the scene, volunteering to help out (as he had in successful campaigns in TN), only to go down with the cause this time. But his legacy remains, and looms large.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-24-2022 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-24-2022, 05:10 PM

573 posts, read 342,682 times
Quote:

I was drawing a conclusion and asking a question, based on the info the the other poster had laid out. That Texas is not friendly anymore and that it was expensive, had higher crime, failing schools and was not as good a place as it used to be to live in. At the same time, more non-natives have moved in - that is a fact.

Do they correlate? I don't know...that WAS the question I was asking. Maybe...maybe not. People here LOVE to go on about how Texas is not friendly...maybe it is the newer transplants that make it unfriendly- who knows? This is sort of a hard thing to measure. Some people find Texas friendly...so do not. How Do you measure this?

--snip---
The classic duck and weave - a Tucker Carlson move.

"I have thought this for a very long time, as one that was born and raised here. The people making Texas and Houston worse have mostly come here from other places. People on both side of the aisle like Dan Patrick AND Lina Hildago."

Where is there a question mark in your statement? (questions have question marks in sentences - that's a fact.)

You also stated as a fact: "At the same time, more non-natives have moved in - that is a fact."

So you, in fact, 100% fact, believe that the 95% of the non-native, non-White residents of TX who came in the past 10, 20, 30 years, are "The people making Texas and Houston worse...". Gotta blame all those non-whites, huh? What are YOU going to do about all those non-white people who you believe caused the increase in crimes, expenses, etc. moving to TX and making it "worse"? Type? Abandon your birthright state, your beloved Texas that you are so proud of, and move to New Mexico as you've mentioned in the past?

I'm going to welcome any new neighbors that move in this neighborhood - especially since there is a 95% chance they will be non-white. It is wonderful!

Old 02-25-2022, 12:03 AM

32 posts, read 22,154 times
Quote:
7) Although there are a few charming towns that support local businesses, Texas is rampant with big-box retail and grocery stores. There are rows of bland shopping plazas that look no different from one another across the state. There is hardly any advocacy for local businesses. I mean, how many shopping plazas are needed with the same urban planning and stores like Walmart, Ross, Kohl's, T.J. Maxx, and (fill in with any big-box store).
I don't really get the OP's last two points, but this really resonated with me. As someone who grew up and has lived in the Texas metros their entire life, I don't really understand the love for cookie-cutter subdivisions filled with strip malls of the same stores over and over again at the expense of any natural beauty. For the Houston area, Katy, Sugar Land, Cinco Ranch and Pearland all come to mind as fitting this mold. It also re-enforces an already car-dependent culture when many urban areas areas are trying to move away from that. On top of this, the suburbs keep moving out, lengthening commute times and creating urban blight of unused stores and space like the Fry's Electronics and Sharpstown mall in Southwest Houston in the areas left behind. It's all just ugly and wasteful, but I guess some people like it because the houses keep selling.

FWIW OP, I've been looking at smaller towns like the Pacific Northwest and the Northeast; if you isolate your search to smaller cities, you'll find comparable COL to Texas.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:30 AM

20,170 posts, read 18,429,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseLeaveMeAlone View Post
There is a lot of thoughtful race debate on here, but it seems to be lacking in historical context.

During the industrial revolution, whites moved to cities for more lucrative job opportunities, which were at the time primarily reserved for whites as were comfortable urban living situations. Fast forward, minority populations started moving into cities for these better job opportunities. Around this time, whites left the cities for larger plots of land around the cities and gave their low value urban housing to minorities (at this time mainly blacks), which they then became stuck with as it's not very profitable real estate. This is how low income black ghettos were formed. Racism! Very hard to leave when your land isn't worth much and no one wants it. As they were low income, things turned to disarray, school systems were bad, and people tended to look towards less ethical means of obtaining money. Combined with higher incarceration numbers for blacks, you get a lot of single parent households where mothers are the primary bread winners and have to hold multiple jobs. The cycle of poverty keeps going because education is bad and how can you get a good job with poor education(yes raider scott, having a decent primary education is white privilege. Your blue collar parents presumably having good business and a reliable income is also white privilege, etc etc. If you're as "intelligent" as you keep trying to scream at everyone, I think you can extrapolate from here). This all trickles down into blacks having higher crime percentages because they are unproportionately impoverished because of (you guess right!) Racism! And all of this contributes to modern stereotypes, subconscious prejudices (how many of you here cross the street when you see a black man at night), and other unfair disadvantages. This is all called ~systemic racism~ (please all educate yourselves this is tiring to explain). Reverse racism is not systemic, so no black to white "racism"(systemically) does not exist(@raider Scott I'm looking at you).

Now that the history lesson is over (I don't recall everyone's username so apply to yourself as you feel necessary).

Need4Camaro you are on the right track, but I think missing the goal slightly. I agree that to some degree making gross concessions because of race can in some instances actually increase racism by highlighting and proliferating the racial divide while also stripping away accountability. But reading these comments have been mind numbing because it seems no one has taken a proper history lesson on Racism In America and now think they are an expert (I in no way think myself one btw)

BACK TO TEXAS because OP seems tired as well by this race debate, I think Texas likely does not have as rich a history as New England states and maybe perhaps be lacking in the physical representation of years of a vast multitude of ethnic pockets, as it seems that may be what you have a lust for. That seems reasonable and I think Texas will still like you even if you decide to leave. It seems as though people are underplaying the effect of nostalgia from living in a place for a while, and perhaps the accompanied grief of changing perspective and personal tastes. That in no way should detract from the wonderful memories of your time in Texas, and should no way make any implications that your time in Texas was wasted or not valuable, but that you have moved into a new chapter and are ready for a new adventure. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The black community's shortage of active fathers is only partially explained by incarceration rates.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:16 AM

4,402 posts, read 4,680,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Between us both which one of us is truly more racists? Someone who searches for racial queues in everything he reads or someone who accepts people for people and race as culture? How else would you have preferred I relayed it to you? I could say black people and white people do the same, that would be the only other way I could verbally relay it.. ..that doesn't necessarily mean that I do not see that all races are human and given the same opportunity, will likely commit the same acts. You believe that because you have been unfairly treated by a certain class of people that you have a justification of returning generalization based on racism. How do you truly intend to resolve racism like that?
Which one is truly racist? We're going there? Let's see who's made sweeping generalizations about a specific race in a negative light in this thread? That'll be Need4Camaro. So judging from your comments you'd be more racist. I'm in this thread pointing out how silly your reasoning sounds for mandating critical race theory in classrooms and you shift the topic to "blame the blacks for blah blah blah". I haven't made any sweeping generalizations about any race in this thread. I accept people for people. I'm socially and consciously mature enough to entertain any theories dealing with race, religion and sex. I'm not the one shying away from it and thinking it should be off the table because IT COULD cause more division. Trust me there are non Black human beings that I would identify with more than you because we share similar interest in certain topics. I do judge people based on their character than the color of their skin. Your pre-conceived notions tell me you think otherwise. But it's okay you're Black so no way can you harbor racial bias against your "own". LOL

Quote:
I personally have conflicts with progressive ideology.. the reason being ..I do not believe we can solve all things by politics, policy and law. This is the one area where I do believe conservatives have it right, less government and less mandate is typically in the end better for the people. Look through history of nations with more government - typically that just results in more inequality, more taxation and especially more government corruption - although this isn't to state the same issue doesn't exist with Trump, Bush, ect.. ..in a sense it just sickens me more when they do it while acting as if its for the best interest of the people when it is really their personal self interest. Progressives, especially as of late use their method to force ideology down people's throat in assuming they are mis-guided or mal-educated when they do not initially agree with their ideals and often times they see things on a narrow scope, typically - like conservatives - based on what best suites their personal insecurity or interests.. often times without any consideration or concern of how it may impact other people even if those people have legitimate concerns, and worse is they often times think they are better than the rest of society for it. What do I call it? Hypocrisy and its one of my largest pet peeves... I would rather someone straight up and tell me they're going to screw me over rather than candy wrap it like its going to be for my benefit.
I agree with some of what you're saying and other points you're just all over the place with broad sweeping generalizations. CRT has been a concept that was introduced dating back to the 80s. It wasn't even molded by progressives in the political sense. Progressives might be using CRT as a means for their own personal agenda but the theory itself is one that I have no problem with local and state governments exploring in a K-12 setting. Literally CRT is discussed in classroom settings all over college campuses with little to no issues. The foundation of CRT was created by a Law Professor Kimberle Crenshaw. What you're doing is projecting based on people's own personal agendas and looking at one side and only one side of the coin.

Quote:
I do believe we need to strive for more equity, but I don't agree with the methods that progressives push for to achieve it. CRT will do nothing more than improve on the foundation of division between races because the context of the matter still separates all race, the ideology that one class of people is different from another.
You type that with so much confidence. I didn't know you were a psychic. Will I win the lottery today oh foreseeable one?

Quote:
The subject of crime is the most often spoken of when speaking of racial inequality, that and police injustice. That along with the fact that lately it is all the media outlets focus on. That is why I refer to it. My issue with all of this, especially lately is I do not believe this is being institutionalized to help blacks. I believe it is to accomplish the exact opposite.
You said discrimination doesn't exist period though. Now it's specifically related to crime. Goalposting is an increasing artform clearly.

Quote:
So basically, the more Texas gets filled with non-natives...the worse it gets? More crime, less friendly, more expensive, declining schools and infrastructure.

I'm a born and raised Texan and I don't ever think Texas was so great to the point that the influx of people moving here are ruining the foundation of Texas. It's some things I love about my state than a lot don't. Ultimately though there are greener pastures in this country. Texas is not the end all be all. In some ways there's pros to the mass influx of transplants moving into the city and other ways there's cons. My issues specifically with Houston for example is not the transplants it's how the city is ran and the fact that I've outgrown the city and state. And now with rising cost is Texas really worth it? With cities becoming more overcrowded is it really worth it? Ever since I was a kid I couldn't wait to move out of East Texas. And it's not like I ever been a fan of small cities and towns to begin with. Texas has none that I would want to call home anyway.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:37 AM

18,194 posts, read 25,458,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseLeaveMeAlone View Post
During the industrial revolution, whites moved to cities for more lucrative job opportunities, which were at the time primarily reserved for whites as were comfortable urban living situations. Fast forward, minority populations started moving into cities for these better job opportunities. Around this time, whites left the cities for larger plots of land around the cities and gave their low value urban housing to minorities (at this time mainly blacks), which they then became stuck with as it's not very profitable real estate.
What most Americans miss in that equation is the fact that local governments invest in the suburbs and not in the inner city.
People move to the suburbs because they have better public service (schools, police, roads, etc)
You go to the inner city and in many places look like a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas