Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times

Advertisements

It's so sad watching Austin and San Antonio sprawl extend into my beloved hill country. It seems like every where you look, you've got new single acre estates with half million dollar homes going in. Old ranch land is being converted into shopping centers and other places where hill country yuppies gather in numbers to pretend like they know what real country living is all about. You know the type. There are the people that have never eaten at Coopers, drank a beer at Luckenbach, camped/caught a rainbow trout on the Guadalupe, been to a Burnet vs. Marble Falls HS football game, killed a deer, shot doves over a tank, or have ever been to the towns of Leakey, Junction, Uvalde, Doss, ect.

It's depressing. I feel I am left with no choice but to head further west. I always dreamed about owning a ranch on the banks of the Llano, but at this point, I'm not sure it'll be there for less than $5000 an acre. And I'm not even sure it's the price that is as big a deal breaker as the expansion of suburban yuppies into what used to be real country. So I just might just settle further out towards the Sonora/Ozona area. Crockett county/Northern Val Verde county is looking pretty good at this point. I'm just concerned about how close I'll be to the border at that point. But I guess that's something that goes with getting away from the invasion of the suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
yes i agree. i understand what you are saying, but i am on the "edge" of the hill country and land and home values are VERY inexpensive here. and i can be in Marble Falls in under a half hour, same with Salado or Georgetown etc...........no need to go closer to the border dude! yer going in the WRONG DIRECTION!
look at Hamilton County for instance! CHEAP. and Coryell County-esp around Levita, Purmela, Turnersville, Pidcoke, Topsey, Rumley, Jonesboro.........the list goes on and on!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
It's so sad watching Austin and San Antonio sprawl extend into my beloved hill country. It seems like every where you look, you've got new single acre estates with half million dollar homes going in. Old ranch land is being converted into shopping centers and other places where hill country yuppies gather in numbers to pretend like they know what real country living is all about. You know the type. There are the people that have never eaten at Coopers, drank a beer at Luckenbach, camped/caught a rainbow trout on the Guadalupe, been to a Burnet vs. Marble Falls HS football game, killed a deer, shot doves over a tank, or have ever been to the towns of Leakey, Junction, Uvalde, Doss, ect.

It's depressing. I feel I am left with no choice but to head further west. I always dreamed about owning a ranch on the banks of the Llano, but at this point, I'm not sure it'll be there for less than $5000 an acre. And I'm not even sure it's the price that is as big a deal breaker as the expansion of suburban yuppies into what used to be real country. So I just might just settle further out towards the Sonora/Ozona area. Crockett county/Northern Val Verde county is looking pretty good at this point. I'm just concerned about how close I'll be to the border at that point. But I guess that's something that goes with getting away from the invasion of the suburbia.
Valid concerns. However, someone in the Hill Country is selling the land that, in-turn, encourages these types of developments. I wonder what the Indians thought when they lost their Texas land to the Spaniards, who lost to the Mexicans, and then they lost to the US government, who turned around and gave it to Americans. I guess in history, what goes around comes around.

BTW: I don't live in the Hill Country, but like to drive in it.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM

your post really hit home and was so well written, i had to look at your profile, and i was amazed-you are 19 years old??????????? dadgum!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
your post really hit home and was so well written, i had to look at your profile, and i was amazed-you are 19 years old??????????? dadgum!
What can I say? I'm a 4th or 5th generation (on my mother's side) native Texan through and through.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 PM

but that dont explain how you are so wise and well-spoken/written???

Quote:
What can I say? I'm a 4th or 5th generation (on my mother's side) native Texan through and through.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
but that dont explain how you are so wise and well-spoken/written???
Darlin, when you speak from the heart people can sense it. And when you really believe in what you are saying, the right words seem to fall in place. You don't even really have to think about word selection. They just come naturally from within. Of course, it helps to speak from experience. I've totally lived the authentic Texas Hill Country life. I've seen it, felt it, breathed it, tasted it, and loved it. There isn't a thing in the world I'd trade all of my experiences for. It truly is God's country and I feel so blessed just to have experienced all of the wonderful things I've been through in my short 19 years. I could honestly die tomorrow feeling 100% complete.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 PM

amen. it sure is God's country........but the yuppy type growth may start to take away the "character" of our area here.........so sad........i hear ya. believe me.
what makes me sick is these high dollar high fence managed hunt ranches. UGH! THAT AINT HUNTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Darlin, when you speak from the heart people can sense it. And when you really believe in what you are saying, the right words seem to fall in place. You don't even really have to think about word selection. They just come naturally from within. Of course, it helps to speak from experience. I've totally lived the authentic Texas Hill Country life. I've seen it, felt it, breathed it, tasted it, and loved it. There isn't a thing in the world I'd trade all of my experiences for. It truly is God's country and I feel so blessed just to have experienced all of the wonderful things I've been through in my short 19 years. I could honestly die tomorrow feeling 100% complete.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:19 AM

327 posts, read 755,314 times
You can blame a good deal of this on your fellow Texans. I know at least a small handful of people who used to live where I do who've moved out there, and I know quite a few more who want to.

Times change. Deal with it. People will always complain about how things aren't what they used to be, no matter where they're from.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
Y'all certainly make valid points about the hill country, but, if you want to see profound change, go to Houston, or most any of its 'burbs. It doesn't even feel like America anymore. I would take the "yuppie" change anyday over it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas