Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 04:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Heck why stop there. Maybe we should go back to you have to be a property owner to vote.
Stop. There is obviously a difference in requiring voters to know high school level “who is the head of the executive branch” facts and requiring voters to be a certain color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, language, literate or economic status.

A basic, facts only exam is certainly not a violation of the Voter Rights Act, right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 04:38 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Stop. There is obviously a difference in requiring voters to know high school level “who is the head of the executive branch” facts and requiring voters to be a certain color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, language, literate or economic status.

A basic, facts only exam is certainly not a violation of the Voter Rights Act, right??
Blame is flaming you.

If you don't know who the current president is or the name of the branches of government then you should sit it out. That is how we have the D only and R only voters.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:20 PM

723 posts, read 398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I find this to be a much more intriguing topic than Abbott. Talk about a cat with 9 lives. How is it that Paxton just keeps getting elected? I would love to hear thoughts on this which is a much more volatile topic than Abbott.
I think Paxton is a crook but I voted for him because I am a Republican and I did not want to throw away my vote and I was not about to vote for the democrat.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Blame is flaming you.

If you don't know who the current president is or the name of the branches of government then you should sit it out. That is how we have the D only and R only voters.
I follow @sharonsaysso on IG and the questions she gets are almost unbelievable sometimes. And they are questions from people following “America’s Government Teacher” on IG so I assume they sincerely do want to learn more about how government works. Questions like “does the electoral college pick all positions or just the President” or “who elects the Supreme Court” or “what’s the difference between governors and senators” etc.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I think Paxton is a crook but I voted for him because I am a Republican and I did not want to throw away my vote and I was not about to vote for the democrat.
Honestly curious…do you even know the candidate’s name who is running against Paxton? Did you do any research about her such as reading any questionnaires she answered for any newspaper voter guides - or anything?! (Watching negative tv ads does not count as “research”).

At what point is a candidate from your own party too immoral / criminal that you would vote against them just to get a clean slate? I guess what Trump said is true, he & his ilk can stand on one of the busiest streets in America & shoot someone and not lose any loyal voters.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:49 PM

723 posts, read 398,612 times
Quote:
Honestly curious…do you even know the candidate’s name who is running against Paxton? Did you do any research about her such as reading any questionnaires she answered for any newspaper voter guides - or anything?! (Watching negative tv ads does not count as “research”).

At what point is a candidate from your own party too immoral / criminal that you would vote against them just to get a clean slate? I guess what Trump said is true, he & his ilk can stand on one of the busiest streets in America & shoot someone and not lose any loyal voters.
I will never vote for a democrat because they want to take away my guns.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 11-03-2022 at 06:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2022, 06:12 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I will never vote for a democrat because they want to take away my guns.
And there you have it (after a quick edit). I guess the original answer wasn't palatable.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:36 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I threw my vote away on Mark Ash.
Same here.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
[/b]

This is not a new concept. Is this the side of history you really want to be on?
Yeah…he really does. Quite troubling really that this is still a thing.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:00 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
2) the need to pass a basics civics test with every state ID renewal to be a registered voter. If you don’t have a basic understanding of the job you’re electing someone to do, you have no business voting.
I have a better idea … only people with college degrees can vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas