Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2023, 03:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times

Advertisements

Again, I am not saying Dallas isn't changing.
What I am saying is that Dallas's zoning make for a more long and drawn out process.

Houston changes areas more rapidly. Like this:
https://www.econlib.org/wp-content/u...2924248401.png

Houston's inner loop neighborhoods are running circles and doing backflips around corresponding areas around Dallas.

Dallas folk are quick to point out tge neighborhoods immediately around Downtown because things are very different immediately after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 03:37 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
Please kindly provide a COMPREHENSIVE comparison between Dallas and Houston. For example DOES Dallas have any cultural icons like the Rothko Chapel/ Menil Collection and The Aga Khan center and THE MILLER OUTDOOR THEATER? Does Dallas have 93 Foreign Consulates? Does Dallas have the LARGEST MEDICAL CENTER IN THÈ WORLD? How about something comparable to the Helix Park or the Fred Hartman Bridge? Does it have a rich history like The San Jacinto battleground and monument where Texas was won OR GALVESTON FOR JUNETEENTH. How about the Port and large maritime culture, a Shipyard, Does Dallas have any quirky and funky artsy icons like THE ORANGE SHOW, ART CAR PARAFDE, PANCHO CLAUSE, THE BEER CAN HOUSE, How about a legitimate CHINA TOWN and a GHANDI DISTRICT. Do they have a University like RICE UNIVERSITY ( I know SMU) But NO! Having GALVESTON ISLAND nearby is nice too, Galvy has huge events like MARDI GRAS and THE LONE STAR RALKY, Dickens on on the strand, KAPPA BEACH PARTY, TOPLESS etc. HIOUSTON HAS MASSIVE PLANS FOR THE FUTURE AND IS WELL EQUIPED FOR THE FUTURE. Houston has a SPACEPORT.
There is obviously a lot more but don''t be so ignorant or shallow abd just snub the whole place or paint it all with a broom just because you don't live here. H-TOWN is booming just like Dallas is. Sure Dallas is a powerhouse for Jobs and upscale shopping/dining etc. It has great suburbs and is an attractive place. We'd like to hear more about it. But don't beluttle and snub Houston that shows a total lack of understanding. What's the problem? Humidity? it hasn't stopped HONG KONG, SINGAPORE, DUBAI, JAKARTA, MUMBAI, MANILLA and many other great cities. Is it the lack of zoning??? That's absurd and a huge exaggeration it's not that badly disorganized. Come on now!! Is it the diverse population? Well That's what makes Houston great! Is it flooding? Sure it floods in certain places but H-TOWN has been working overtime to correct flooding issues BILLIONS have been spent with BILLIONS more on the way. It just flooded on Dallas last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Gosh, please stop. You play into Dallasboi's hands with posts like this. He loves to think Dallas is on the same level as Houston. Literally in every objective ranking Houston always ranks higher. You belittle Houston by comparing to Dallas!
.....I see that I'm HATED and MISSED at the same time....

Dallas Has The Fair Park wich is filled with monumental structures.
Dallas has 45 Foriegn Consilates.
TMC being the Largest in the world is a boring stat that really no one pays attention to or care about.
No one ever see the Fred Hartman Bridge because its in a part of town that nobody goes to.
Everybody at RICE is MISERABLE and Graduate crazy from being stressed out the whole 4 years...People at S.M.U are Happy and have fun..And graduate running Dallas...A degree from SMU in Dallas is a Golden Ticket.

Dallas has one of the largest St.Patrick Day Parades In the entire U.S....Halloween on Cedar Springs can't be beat in Texas.

What are Houstons plans for the FUTURE?!!!!!.....Probably nothing if the transit system is good enough with only buses....Houst is and always have been a city that develop by demand with no thought put into it...jus "THE BASICS" for everyhing as they need it...SO BORING!!

Houston FLOODS because it's sinking.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:07 PM

278 posts, read 121,391 times
Default Tmc no big deal?

TMC NO BIG DEAL??
I guess you forgot to tell Texas A&M that it's no big deal. They
and you must have forgotten to tell UT also. Oh. And Baylor of course. Apparently they don't do very good research before spending Billions on a massive expansion project. And the Helix Park which already has tenants before even being completed. We'll, they should have consulted with you first. Their Engineers, Demographers, Scientists and surveyors needed your advice. They must not have realized that it's no big deal. We'll let the 120,000 people who work there know too.
I guess Uptown Dallas must not be a BIG DEAL either. I mean it provides less jobs, has a smaller footprint, less building square footage, generates less revenue and is just less substantial overall. So we'll just say it's NO BIG DEAL. RIGHT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

TMC being the Largest in the world is a boring stat that really no one pays attention to or care about.
No one ever see the Fred Hartman Bridge because its in a part of town that nobody goes to.
Everybody at RICE is MISERABLE and Graduate crazy from being stressed out the whole 4 years...People at S.M.U are Happy and have fun..And graduate running Dallas...A degree from SMU in Dallas is a Golden Ticket.

Dallas has one of the largest St.Patrick Day Parades In the entire U.S....Halloween on Cedar Springs can't be beat in Texas.

What are Houstons plans for the FUTURE?!!!!!.....Probably nothing if the transit system is good enough with only buses....Houst is and always have been a city that develop by demand with no thought put into it...jus "THE BASICS" for everyhing as they need it...SO BORING!!

Last edited by Texas100; 07-06-2023 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: TMC

Old 07-06-2023, 04:32 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Again, I am not saying Dallas isn't changing.
What I am saying is that Dallas's zoning make for a more long and drawn out process.

Houston changes areas more rapidly. Like this:
https://www.econlib.org/wp-content/u...2924248401.png

Houston's inner loop neighborhoods are running circles and doing backflips around corresponding areas around Dallas.

Dallas folk are quick to point out tge neighborhoods immediately around Downtown because things are very different immediately after that.
This report from George Washington University in 2019 shows all the established urban nodes around The Metroplex including the emerging and potential areas. These areas include the Bishop Arts/Davis and Jefferson in Oak Cliff (which I posted a video of and are both considered to be well established urban nodes by the report). It has been quite some time since this was made and rapid development has continued to occur in these areas. I wonder what it would be like today if they did another comprehensive study? That way it would consider the physical expansion of those areas and the complete street improvements.

I think density isn't the only thing that matters. I'd argue that it does not really matter as much unless it's urban and walkable. No need to have density if it is still very suburban and I still have to use my car to do everyday errands. That's one of the reasons the area in North Oak Cliff is being revitalized. People see the urban form (even when it is not in the greatest shape it could be in) and are attracted to the idea of being able to do things within close proximity to their home (I heard ppl say this and they are willing to wait out the transition). I think they call those people "urban explorers". The initial wave of new residents that come in before gentrification truly takes hold. The intersection of Jefferson Blvd and Bishop Ave has a walk score of 94. There's restaurants, retail, grocery stores, historic theaters/performing arts, boutiques, etc all within walking distance. That's 10 continuous blocks (1 mile) on Jefferson where the buildings meet the sidewalk.

I think zoning helps to build cohesive areas. Jefferson and Bishop Arts were rezoned years ago and that's why we are seeing consistent urban development that's intended to complement what's already there. Those areas use to be wayyyyyyy denser originally (which anyone can easily tell), but fell off due to white flight/decline and car-centric zoning. The zoning they have in place is intended for development to slowly bleed into the neighborhood, which I like. I don't think without proper planning, that would be even considered.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-06-2023 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2023, 05:21 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

I find it incredibly amusing (and ridiculously on brand) that nearly the first "fact" you throw out there couldn't possibly be more wrong. Dallas has seven missions/consulates, on par with places like Denver and Detroit.

Houston, on the other hand, has 44 on par with Miami and San Francisco.You don't have to believe me, you can see yourself:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

Pro tip: If you're looking for Dallas scroll down the page to the heading that says "other cities with diplomatic missions". You'll find it there.

Houston is, has been, and always will be the international city in Texas. It's kind of what having a major seaport and a key industry that's mostly international does for you.

You just say stuff and we all know it. It's funny at times, but I would hate anyone visiting here to mistake your random words for actual facts.

And SMU will never be in Rice's league academically. Nothing more to say there.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
This report from George Washington University in 2019 shows all the established urban nodes around The Metroplex including the emerging and potential areas. These areas include the Bishop Arts/Davis and Jefferson in Oak Cliff (which I posted a video of and are both considered to be well established urban nodes by the report). It has been quite some time since this was made and rapid development has continued to occur in these areas. I wonder what it would be like today if they did another comprehensive study? That way it would consider the physical expansion of those areas and the complete street improvements.

I think density isn't the only thing that matters. I'd argue that it does not really matter as much unless it's urban and walkable. No need to have density if it is still very suburban and I still have to use my car to do everyday errands. That's one of the reasons the area in North Oak Cliff is being revitalized. People see the urban form (even when it is not in the greatest shape it could be in) and are attracted to the idea of being able to do things within close proximity to their home (I heard ppl say this and they are willing to wait out the transition). I think they call those people "urban explorers". The initial wave of new residents that come in before gentrification truly takes hold. The intersection of Jefferson Blvd and Bishop Ave has a walk score of 94. There's restaurants, retail, grocery stores, historic theaters/performing arts, boutiques, etc all within walking distance. That's 10 continuous blocks (1 mile) on Jefferson where the buildings meet the sidewalk.

I think zoning helps to build cohesive areas. Jefferson and Bishop Arts were rezoned years ago and that's why we are seeing consistent urban development that's intended to complement what's already there. Those areas use to be wayyyyyyy denser originally (which anyone can easily tell), but fell off due to white flight/decline and car-centric zoning. The zoning they have in place is intended for development to slowly bleed into the neighborhood, which I like. I don't think without proper planning, that would be even considered.

This ^^^ is what I said would be the response.
It's always just these close in neighborhoods

The next neighborhood over any of those and it looks like housing stock you would find outside Houston's loop. And there's no retail.

Houston has consistently built neighborhoods with both retail and office all the way from downtown to Uptown, downtown to TMC

The Urban core in Houston is just much larger.

For example, this is 2 miles south of DTD
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4HiV72GEnzXjN4je8
Because of zoning it is just residential.

This is 2 miles south of DT Houston
https://maps.app.goo.gl/dVrrMmtSLd28abC77
Certainly not pretty, but you can see that the bones are still city grid bones primed for higher use.

This is 2 miles east of DTD
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4wC7WszGp5nUhCxg7
Again, no mixed use, just residential, no signs of development moving the neighborhood forward.

This is 2miles east of DTH
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7PRWW6CP4NiACVTj6
Again, it's not pretty, but the bones are way more urban and mixed use, and doing the 360 you see lots of multifamily going up.

2 miles north of dtd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2fHKEUHhhwNwhdqt7
Dallas wins here. The Urban core skews northward so 2 miles out in that direction still looks built-up.

2 miles north of DTH
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aqssw1B9yAwgSn6m8
Certainly not as built up as the corresponding areas in Dallas, and certainly not pretty, but again I see mixed usebones, density going in, transit lines on place , a decade or two and that area could be a spot.

2 miles west of DTD
https://maps.app.goo.gl/PpUYKQSYbaHU9Fmm8
It's kinda has Urban bones, but I don't see any new developments and things look a bit aged.

2 miles west of DTH
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CX4tY3KFD5ibLbWX7
Looks like you could still be downtown. Way more built up, new developments all around.

Yes Dallas is developing the core a mile in each direction from downtown with the north being the only direction that urban core expands more than 2miles.

But Houston is developing the urban core in each direction for 5 plus miles. Because it is a much larger area it will take longer to connect, but it already feels like a more intense core because the single family neighborhoods with no commerce doesn't hit you as fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I find it incredibly amusing (and ridiculously on brand) that nearly the first "fact" you throw out there couldn't possibly be more wrong. Dallas has seven missions/consulates, on par with places like Denver and Detroit.

Houston, on the other hand, has 44 on par with Miami and San Francisco.You don't have to believe me, you can see yourself:

Pro tip: If you're looking for Dallas scroll down the page to the heading that says "other cities with diplomatic missions". You'll find it there.

Houston is, has been, and always will be the international city in Texas. It's kind of what having a major seaport and a key industry that's mostly international does for you.

You just say stuff and we all know it. It's funny at times, but I would hate anyone visiting here to mistake your random words for actual facts.

Houston has 90 consular offices. Twice more than Miami and SF.

https://www.houstontx.gov/motia/consular-corps.html

Old 07-06-2023, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I don't live in Dallas OR Houston and as a Texan, I am proud of both cities, for differing reasons. But I like them both. To clarify, I wouldn't want to live in either of them but I enjoy visiting them both occasionally.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:02 PM

278 posts, read 121,391 times
Default What, you mean they've been SCAMMING US?

Are you trying to tell me that all those Dallas Homer's have been scamming us all this time? The've Been trying to puff Dallas up to look like it's better than Houston but then when you investigate you find out that it's just a man behind a curtain?
Is Dallas ALL TALK and no action? The way they talk is like Houston is trash and Dallas is the cream of the crop. Do you mean this whole thing is just baseless trash talk.
If this is just trash talk then we need to let people know and get Dallasites to stop spreading fake propaganda about both Houston and Dallas. And stop brainwashing all of ìts residents.
All of the trash talk and propaganda that has tarnished Houstons image and opressed millions of people all of this has been propagated by fascist bigots from Dallas who are motivated by envy and use unfair practices by slandering the competition. Well its time to hit back then.

Those California relocations are drying up in Dallas and so is the venture capital. Austin is eating up most of the Relocations now. Dallas had a lot of competition from Austin. The financial sector is laying off and AI is replacing a lot of those jobs. Tech is also laying off. The have overbuilt office space in uptown Dallas and now vacancies are piling up.
I can already start to feel the tides changing. All the coolness of what Dallas has done for the last 10 years is starting to wear off. The cranes are coming down and things are getting ready to cool. Real Estate prices are set to drop and a lot of promised projects are getting canceled including Ubers office in Deep Ellum. Has Goldman Sachs broken ground yet? They have been laying off too. Goldman has already downsized the project a quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets postponed or........ I won't say it. Yes there is a lot to admire about Dallas but be humble and give credit where it's due.

Quote:

The next neighborhood over any of those and it looks like housing stock you would find outside Houston's loop. And there's no retail.

Houston has consistently built neighborhoods with both retail and office all the way from downtown to Uptown, downtown to TMC

Certainly not pretty, but you can see that the bones are still city grid bones primed for higher use.

Again, no mixed use, just residential, no signs of development moving the neighborhood forward.

Again, it's not pretty, but the bones are way more urban and mixed use, and doing the 360 you see lots of multifamily going up.

2 miles north of dtd
Dallas wins here. The Urban core skews northward so 2 miles out in that direction still looks built-up.

2 miles north of DTH
Certainly not as built up as the corresponding areas in Dallas, and certainly not pretty, but again I see mixed usebones, density going in, transit lines on place , a decade or two and that area could be a spot.

2 miles west of DTD
It's kinda has Urban bones, but I don't see any new developments and things look a bit aged.

2 miles west of DTH
Looks like you could still be downtown. Way more built up, new developments all around.

Yes Dallas is developing the core a mile in each direction from downtown with the north being the only direction that urban core expands more than 2miles.

But Houston is developing the urban core in each direction for 5 plus miles. Because it is a much larger area it will take longer to connect, but it already feels like a more intense core because the single family neighborhoods with no commerce doesn't hit you as fast.

Houston has 90 consular offices. Twice more than Miami and SF.

https://www.houstontx.gov/motia/consular-corps.html

Old 07-06-2023, 08:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

.......what?!!!!!

https://www.embassypages.com/city/dallas

Old 07-06-2023, 09:11 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:

2 miles north of dtd

2 miles north of DTH

2 miles west of DTD

2 miles west of DTH

I mean, anyone can do what you just did. What does it prove exactly lol? Clearly, some of those neighborhoods that are within 2 miles of Downtown Dallas are older areas. Which many have been forgotten just like many areas in Houston. I still prefer the idea of established walkable cohesive areas. Nothing that you posted looks very cohesive to me or appealing. It has some construction though, which is nice. I used Oak Cliff as an example because it is in Southern Dallas and it happens to be where I am from. Places like it have been revived and now are expanding due to their existing bones. There's also another urban node being developed in Red Bird. I am sure that's another place that would be on the list of emerging places. Then nothing was really going on. Now, they have urban apartments and a new Tom Thumb is suppose to open there soon.

Also, how will the development be connected if there was never any planning and no zoning in place to help make it happen? The City of Dallas is trying to connect the nodes. Ross Ave (which the city completely rezoned years ago and now seeing urban development) from Downtown into Old East Dallas to Lower Greenville Ave. All the new urban development (all the empty lots were rezoned for urban development) that is planned on Henderson Ave from Lower Greenville all the way to Knox St. From Knox-Henderson down Cole/McKinney Ave to Uptown Dallas. Connecting portions of North Oak Cliff (including Bishop Arts) to Downtown via Streetcar link. Connecting the trail system and the development from the Design District to Victory Park (to Katy Trail) Is ALL intentional. That's just off top of my head.

Lower Greenville, another one of the urban nodes listed (which is basically a smaller version of Jefferson). This was taken in Feb 2023 and it has been fully revitalized. It is probably working at its best ATM.

1:00-4:00 is the busiest section

Grocery stores that people in the area can easily walk to

- Fiesta - left at 0:23

- Trader Joe’s - left at 3:19

- Sam’s Club Now - right at 3:52

Another section 5:00-5:15

Last section with the Granada Theater 6:00-7:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBwRNzaGK4&t=617s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas