Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2023, 02:30 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,462,568 times

Advertisements

Dallas vs Austin....FAIRLY Presented by an Austinite.

..Big brother and little brother situations..........WE ARE BOTH THE GREATEST!!

https://youtu.be/gbrbnBnbPro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 11:10 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,066,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I mean, I agree with the earlier post about Dallas having some people that are pretentious or snobby (only mostly in affluent areas). Mostly because I have personally experienced it many times and Dallas kinda built a rep for that lol. But I haven't really experienced the overwhelming negative commentary that you've gotten from Dallasites about Houston. I often hear more positives (in real life) than the negative. People may say that Houston is humid or looks kinda weird due to lack of zoning. But that's not really a knock on the city itself. It is true when you compare it to Dallas. There's also some things that are true about Dallas that Houstonians might notice. I can think of one right off top, Dallas isn't as racially integrated as Houston even with a very diverse population. I take it as purely as an observation and not as a way for me to feel or get offended.
It's definitely true that there are a lot of snobby people in DFW. I used to live there and experienced it quite a bit when I would tell people I was from Houston. "Oh it stinks", "it's humid", "the traffic", "aren't you glad you're here now", blah blah blah. By the time I left it was so common I would just write the person off as a typical rude jerk and move on or if I was in a good mood I'd tell them something great about Houston and observe their reaction. People in that area are going to feel how they feel and unless they were saying something downright ignorant, I didn't feel the need to argue with them most of the time.

Hell, I was just up there yesterday catching the Rangers game and this lady Rangers fan referred to Houston as the armpit of Texas when I told her I lived here. I just smiled and said, "We have the best food, a real coast and clearly the best baseball team in the state. If you ever want to have the best oxtail tacos you've ever had, let me know if you ever make it down." Let's just say this lady's shape made me think that she may have been a bit of a food connoisseur.

Her response? "Why in the hell would I want to eat some oxtail tacos?!" Told me all I needed to know lol. She was fun, she still owes me a beer though after having to hold that L.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:57 AM

281 posts, read 126,229 times
Default Please help!

You have captured a perfect snapshot of what I was talking about . Thank you for sharing.
Please help me to understand
Why those people are like that? I never EVER have heard any Houston natives talk like that. I mean Why don't they complain about Waco or Midland-Odessa or Beaumont-Port Arthur or Brownsville or Corpus or any of the multiple East Texas Hicktowns They could complain about Killeen or How about Oklahoma City or Tulsa. Maybe even Shreveport. But no, the one place they can't stand it's Houston.
Please help to hammer this out. I want to understand what causes that. I suspect it's a propagated meme or Dallas cultural
Norm.
If you notice when they are confronted about it or get caught up in a debate or if they know their talking to a Houstonian they will back down. So it has to be an insider thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
It's definitely true that there are a lot of snobby people in DFW. I used to live there and experienced it quite a bit when I would tell people I was from Houston. "Oh it stinks", "it's humid", "the traffic", "aren't you glad you're here now", blah blah blah. By the time I left it was so common I would just write the person off as a typical rude jerk and move on or if I was in a good mood I'd tell them something great about Houston and observe their reaction. People in that area are going to feel how they feel and unless they were saying something downright ignorant, I didn't feel the need to argue with them most of the time.

Hell, I was just up there yesterday catching the Rangers game and this lady Rangers fan referred to Houston as the armpit of Texas when I told her I lived here. I just smiled and said, "We have the best food, a real coast and clearly the best baseball team in the state. If you ever want to have the best oxtail tacos you've ever had, let me know if you ever make it down." Let's just say this lady's shape made me think that she may have been a bit of a food connoisseur.

Her response? "Why in the hell would I want to eat some oxtail tacos?!" Told me all I needed to know lol. She was fun, she still owes me a beer though after having to hold that L.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:23 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,822,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
You have captured a perfect snapshot of what I was talking about . Thank you for sharing.
Please help me to understand
Why those people are like that? I never EVER have heard any Houston natives talk like that.
Yeah, when I was in school in San Antonio I heard the armpit joke a lot too. Always from people from Dallas. Someone would say they are from Houston and then Someone from Dallas would say, oh you are from the armpit of Texas and start laughing in that person's face

I found it really rude, and it was at that time I started sticking up for Houston.

I asked this guy to explain how it is the armpit of Texas once, and he tripped over his words for a bit, then stopped chuckling and gave up. I googled it and found that Kermit Texas was the most common reference that popped up. I guess if you flip Texas upside down. The RGV area looks like a head, Big Bend going to El Paso looks like a shoulder to an arm, the Panhandle looks like a body, and Kermit would be in the area under the shoulder between the arm and the body- the armpit. Dunno why someone would take the time to think of that.

I don't understand Dallas folk belittling Houston myself, so I am sorry I can't help you understand it. I will say this though, not once have I heard a POC disparage Houston. So I figured it may have something to do with Houston's diversity.

Back in the day dirty was a colloquial term for too much black, or mixed with black. I don't know if Dallasboi knows that when he comes on here and posts that Houston is dirty comments that this was a racially charged insult that goes back generations.

It is not the best sources, but the urban dictionary defines Diversity as to defile or dirty. Rappers are always shouting out that they are from the Dirty South. That reference was first used in referrence to the areas sullied by slavery.

You won't get the connotation in mainstream dictionaries because it is not something people like to acknowledge. Heck, I don't know if POC on here are even supposed to mention their struggles because it disappears in seconds even if you are being polite, respectful and 100% on topic.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:13 PM

Default Dallasites belittling Houston has racist roots

Thank you. This is what I've always suspected. This attitude stems from fascism.
I can't believe that even after all these years they still have that attitude.
This idea needs to be included in DEI education. I just can't believe how deeply rooted the fascist and racist mentality is in DFW.
I will say one thing. You can say whatever you want about Houston but is a place where everyone from all backgrounds can come here and be accepted for who they are. New York City is probably the only place in the world that is more accepting than H-Town. So let those folks continue their snobbery

Old 07-04-2023, 05:03 PM

680 posts, read 277,455 times
Happy Independence Day!

5:56 pm
Dallas temp: 96. RealFeel: 103. RealFeel Shade: 100
Houston: 90. RealFeel: 96. RealFeel Shade: 92

Old 07-04-2023, 07:49 PM

4,438 posts, read 6,315,118 times
I think some folks are reading into certain comments about Houston too much. Houston is a dirty city as in messy, haphazardly developed, more noticeable grit, etc.. And it's not just white folks that make that observation. I don't think "dirty" is meant anything other than referring to the aesthetics. There's parts of Houston that are very nice, but it seems like those areas aren't too far from areas that aren't very nice. It's just a place that has a different vibe than Dallas. Personally, it's not my vibe, but that doesn't mean I don't like Houston. As for racial... aren't both areas similar in a lot of demographic measurements? Houston's diversity has just been around a bit longer.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:57 AM

Default Dallas is dirty

[
Dallas is every last bit as dirty as Houston. I've driven all over Cedar Crest, Pleasant Grove, Lancaster, South Dallas. Hey, go spend an evening over there on Pennsylvania Ave near the 175 and let us know how much nicer Dallas really is. Or maybe you could take a trip down Lancaster rd and give a report on how organized it is. Hang out by the VA hospital for a while How often do you visit the Dallas ZOO? OH, you've never been? Oh that explains it all.
You've probably never been to River Oaks either or Tanglewood or Piney Point Village, I doubt you've ever visited the Heights or Rice Village, or West U, or Montrose. Maybe you haven't seen the massive transformation going on in Eado. Rice Millitary or maybe you haven't noticed all the changes and transformation that has occurred in Houston lately? You probably don't realize that many of those "gritty" pockets are being gentrified just as they are in Dallas. Do you think all the billions spent on this great Citiy's transformation were just wasted? Do You think maybe, just maybe Houston might have some redeeming qualities? Or is your perception of Houston blurred by the cloudy lens of Dallas Supremacy that you view from?
I never said that Houston is superior. I know that Dallas has a lot going for it but it's not better than Houston and your certainly in no position to say that Houston is dirty.

QUOTE=R1070;65507317]I think some folks are reading into certain comments about Houston toxins it all. much. Houston is a dirty city as in messy, haphazardly developed, more noticeable grit, etc.. And it's not just white folks that make that observation. I don't think "dirty" is meant anything other than referring to the aesthetics. There's parts of Houston that are very nice, but it seems like those areas aren't too far from areas that aren't very nice. It's just a place that has a different vibe than Dallas. Personally, it's not my vibe, but that doesn't mean I don't like Houston. As for racial... aren't both areas similar in a lot of demographic measurements? Houston's diversity has just been around a bit longer.[/quote]

Old 07-05-2023, 07:02 AM

848 posts, read 461,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
[
Dallas is every last bit as dirty as Houston. I've driven all over Cedar Crest, Pleasant Grove, Lancaster, South Dallas. Hey, go spend an evening over there on Pennsylvania Ave near the 175 and let us know how much nicer Dallas really is. Or maybe you could take a trip down Lancaster rd and give a report on how organized it is. Hang out by the VA hospital for a while How often do you visit the Dallas ZOO? OH, you've never been? Oh that explains it all.
You've probably never been to River Oaks either or Tanglewood or Piney Point Village, I doubt you've ever visited the Heights or Rice Village, or West U, or Montrose. Maybe you haven't seen the massive transformation going on in Eado. Rice Millitary or maybe you haven't noticed all the changes and transformation that has occurred in Houston lately? You probably don't realize that many of those "gritty" pockets are being gentrified just as they are in Dallas. Do you think all the billions spent on this great Citiy's transformation were just wasted? Do You think maybe, just maybe Houston might have some redeeming qualities? Or is your perception of Houston blurred by the cloudy lens of Dallas Supremacy that you view from?
I never said that Houston is superior. I know that Dallas has a lot going for it but it's not better than Houston and your certainly in no position to say that Houston is dirty.

QUOTE=R1070;65507317]I think some folks are reading into certain comments about Houston toxins it all. much. Houston is a dirty city as in messy, haphazardly developed, more noticeable grit, etc.. And it's not just white folks that make that observation. I don't think "dirty" is meant anything other than referring to the aesthetics. There's parts of Houston that are very nice, but it seems like those areas aren't too far from areas that aren't very nice. It's just a place that has a different vibe than Dallas. Personally, it's not my vibe, but that doesn't mean I don't like Houston. As for racial... aren't both areas similar in a lot of demographic measurements? Houston's diversity has just been around a bit longer.
I prefer Houston to Dallas but Houston is definitely grittier/dirtier than Dallas. It’s not necessarily a bad thing though. Some people hate it and others don’t mind it. I don’t really mind if Houston is dirtier/grittier. It feels more organic to me.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:23 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,822,482 times
DFW has become a lot more diverse the last decade or 2 but as I mentioned before, calling Houston dirty isn't new. That's why I mentioned that posters using it today might not even know they are promoting racial tropes. Things Clansmen in FW used to say.

The FW side especially was largely white just 15 years ago. Houston wasn't the only big majority minority cityin Texas. San Antonio and El Paso had Houston beat. The difference was Houston's large black population somehow stained or dirtied the population.

Houston is no where near haphazard as European cities. And Houston isn't what I would call gritty. New York, Philadelphia, New Orleans is gritty.

But haphazard, disorganized or whatever term you want to use for lack of zoning isn't synonyms for dirty. I don't know what sort of mental gymnastics you do to make that link.

Dallas has long had an inferiority complex due to Houston’s size. Yall are thinking the dirty claim are part of the rivalry, but it goes way past that. The dirty claims are a racial trope and you know it. If you want to say it is disorganized say that.

A city isn't major if it is not gritty. Suburbs are nice and tidy. I know that DFW is one giant burb so yall might not be familiar with what a city looks like, but go to Europe and you will see how roads and styles just change on a dime. You will see trash just piled up on the streets. Those streets will reek of Urine. THAT!! Is dirty. That is gritty. Houston, for a big city is middle of the road. If you are not as gritty as Houston you are more in the suburb category
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas