Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 02:41 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

I knew this would happen. It's just not the same.

From the article: But old Austin attitudes have clashed with the enterprising mindset of bosses in the tech industry. Founder and angel investor Mike Chang lamented to Insider that "Austin is where ambition goes to die."

But I digress.

https://www.chron.com/culture/articl...s-18346616.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 02:45 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
What are the operative factors? Is it the weather? The culture? The lack of ethnic restaurants? Or are folks just missing the "vibe" of their former home?

Old 09-12-2023, 03:01 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Jimmy was right . . .

It's those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same

Sorry 18Montclair. I just couldn't resist.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:15 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What are the operative factors? Is it the weather? The culture? The lack of ethnic restaurants? Or are folks just missing the "vibe" of their former home?
Breaking the record for most consecutive 100° days might have something to do with it.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
well, from a tech standpoint, the critical mass of talent is just not the same. At least that's what the article says but I sort of already knew that. I have friends who work for Oracle and they are constantly complaining about this and I'm like, boo-hoo, cry me a river, who told you to move there?

Old 09-12-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereonmars View Post
jimmy was right . . .

it's those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
nothing remains quite the same

sorry 18montclair. I just couldn't resist. :d
lol

Old 09-12-2023, 05:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
well, from a tech standpoint, the critical mass of talent is just not the same. At least that's what the article says but I sort of already knew that. I have friends who work for Oracle and they are constantly complaining about this and I'm like, boo-hoo, cry me a river, who told you to move there?
There’s plenty of “talent” all over the US. People in CA if anything seem more entitled.

What isn’t present is the geyser of private equity that can lead to insane gains if you hit it big. Of course, working the startup train means lots of layoffs and dysfunctional garbage companies too. Once you move to Texas your career will slow down a bit. But if you work at a dinosaur like Oracle—it already has.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:52 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
do you have any idea who is now using the old oracle building? way back it was up for sale. then apparently it wasn't. various things changed for awhile indicating it was empty. now i see somebody is using it. somewhat. and somebody somewhat uses that stupid new (chinese owned) facebook campus in burlingame. oracle could have been a great spot for very low income housing. but of course that would never happen. and the stinking city killed all the geese everywhere around. that infuriates me no end. the only upside to elan taking over twitter is he dumped a whole lot of H1B visa holders. we now have a whole lot fewer teslas running around haha. all that water in foster city and NO BIRDS LEFT ALIVE.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
What isn’t present is the geyser of private equity that can lead to insane gains if you hit it big. Of course, working the startup train means lots of layoffs and dysfunctional garbage companies too. Once you move to Texas your career will slow down a bit. But if you work at a dinosaur like Oracle—it already has.
I'm not familiar with Austin, but comparing the Midwest to Los Angeles, the bit about start-ups and VC is definitely true. Traditional upper-middle-class jobs can be found in any substantial city, and sometimes in insubstantial cities. These aren't limited to coastal California. But if you want to court the billionaire angel-investors and the marquee names in private equity, it's hard to beat the SF-LA-SD corridor.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:44 PM

408 posts, read 450,598 times
Austin is OK. But it's friggin surrounded by Texas. if you're at all progressive - or a female - it's a horrible place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas