Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2024, 06:55 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times

Advertisements

Should be visiting this May & have a few things that I def need to accomplish & looking to get advice from you experts on anything else to fill in the gaps.

Must be done:
1. Rangers Game
2. Astros Game
3. 2 nights in San Antonio (visiting friends)
4. Looking for a scenic route from Houston to Dallas. East TX?

Haven't booked my trip yet but a bit of flexibility in the days. I am used to driving a lot. Was just on a vacation last month & drove 1200 miles in 6 days. Really enjoy visiting places that are non touristy, cheap/free, cool to check out.

Saturday-Fly into Dallas & drive 2-3 hours South to be in a good position Sunday.

Sunday-Make it a goal to get to San Antonio.

Monday-Full day in SA with friends.

Tuesday-Head to Houston. If I leave earlier enough should have no problem going to Astros game at night (they are in town). Also interested in possible venturing to Sugar Land because I have enough friend down there but would really only need 1-2 hours for that detour.

Wednesday-Head north towards Dallas but looking for scenic drive north. I've heard East Texas has some great scenic views but not sure which highways/routes.

Thursday-Continue north on scenic drive. Maybe check out older historic towns that aren't to much out of the way of whatever route/highway I take.

Friday-Arrive in Dallas at decent hour to check in & go to Rangers game (home game in town).

Saturday-Fly back

Any feedback on some of the days that are driving to a place? Historic towns to drive through? Must see landmarks that can be done without spending to much time & getting trapped with tourists.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 07:25 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Should be visiting this May & have a few things that I def need to accomplish & looking to get advice from you experts on anything else to fill in the gaps.

Must be done:
1. Rangers Game
2. Astros Game

Haven't booked my trip yet but a bit of flexibility in the days. I am used to driving a lot. Was just on a vacation last month & drove 1200 miles in 6 days. Really enjoy visiting places that are non touristy, cheap/free, cool to check out.

Saturday-Fly into Dallas & drive 2-3 hours South to be in a good position Sunday.

Tuesday-Head to Houston. If I leave earlier enough should have no problem going to Astros game at night (they are in town). Also interested in possible venturing to Sugar Land because I have enough friend down there but would really only need 1-2 hours for that detour.

Wednesday-Head north towards Dallas but looking for scenic drive north. I've heard East Texas has some great scenic views but not sure which highways/routes.

Thursday-Continue north on scenic drive. Maybe check out older historic towns that aren't to much out of the way of whatever route/highway I take.

Friday-Arrive in Dallas at decent hour to check in & go to Rangers game (home game in town).

Saturday-Fly back

Any feedback on some of the days that are driving to a place? Historic towns to drive through? Must see landmarks that can be done without spending to much time & getting trapped with tourists.

Thanks!
Going north you could head up I-69 into the Piney Woods of East Texas.

The alternative is going 290 towards Austin. Lots of bluebonnets around Brenham. Its about the right time of year. And you can visit the Blue Bell Creamery! https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...th/ar-BB1k4rZ0 edit--I see you aren't coming until May. The bluebonnets will be gone, but its still a nice drive and Blue Bell will still be there.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:16 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:

Must be done:
1. Rangers Game
2. Astros Game

Saturday-Fly back

Thanks!
Here is my suggestion. Obviously you love baseball so I would propose the following:

Tuesday-Head to Austin area and attend Round Rock Express game Tuesday night
Wednesday-Drive through the Hill Country and potentially visit historic towns such as Fredericksburg and Johnson City, if you enjoyed Tuesday’s game take in another game on Wednesday night
Thursday-Head to Houston and take in Astros game Thursday night
Friday-Drive to DFW and take in Rangers game Friday night
Saturday-Fly back

You shouldn’t run into too much tourist traffic. It’s during the week and kids are still in school. I honestly don’t know of a “scenic” route from Houston to Dallas without veering you off into the Hill Country. My proposal keeps you in the Hill Country for most of your days. You could use San Antonio as your home base (or Austin). In case you didn’t know, the Round Rock Express is the AAA affiliate of the Texas Rangers. It was the Astros AAA affiliate for many years and the team is owned by Nolan Ryan.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 03-20-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Here is my suggestion. Obviously you love baseball so I would propose the following:

Tuesday-Head to Austin area and attend Round Rock Express game Tuesday night
Wednesday-Drive through the Hill Country and potentially visit historic towns such as Fredericksburg and Johnson City, if you enjoyed Tuesday’s game take in another game on Wednesday night
Thursday-Head to Houston and take in Astros game Thursday night
Friday-Drive to DFW and take in Rangers game Friday night
Saturday-Fly back

You shouldn’t run into too much tourist traffic. It’s during the week and kids are still in school. I honestly don’t know of a “scenic” route from Houston to Dallas without veering you off into the Hill Country. My proposal keeps you in the Hill Country for most of your days. You could use San Antonio as your home base (or Austin). In case you didn’t know, the Round Rock Express is the AAA affiliate of the Texas Rangers. It was the Astros AAA affiliate for many years and the team is owned by Nolan Ryan.

Enjoy your trip!
Ya know. Your idea about minor league game might be good because I def could see myself trying to find something to do in the late afternoon and a baseball game could be relaxing. Express are home that whole time as well. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2024, 10:30 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I travel a lot from Houston to Arkansas on I-69 and I love the drive and also love to stop at Nacogdoches
They have a very nice historic downtown area.

Nacogdoches is supposed to be Texas oldest town (1779) but I find it hard to believe that a town that far inland is the oldest town in Texas

Old 03-20-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Going north you could head up I-69 into the Piney Woods of East Texas.

The alternative is going 290 towards Austin. Lots of bluebonnets around Brenham. Its about the right time of year. And you can visit the Blue Bell Creamery! https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...th/ar-BB1k4rZ0 edit--I see you aren't coming until May. The bluebonnets will be gone, but its still a nice drive and Blue Bell will still be there.

As far as Piney Woods. Do you know a highway that touches that area? I'm trying to find it on google maps.
Thanks for the help.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I travel a lot from Houston to Arkansas on I-69 and I love the drive and also love to stop at Nacogdoches
They have a very nice historic downtown area.

Nacogdoches is supposed to be Texas oldest town (1779) but I find it hard to believe that a town that far inland is the oldest town in Texas
I've heard about Nacogdoches. That might be an option to stop by.

Does I69 end in TX? I see it then it stops on google maps.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:46 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
I've heard about Nacogdoches. That might be an option to stop by.

Does I69 end in TX? I see it then it stops on google maps.
Ok, I'll share my secrets with you

I-69 (used to be I-59) gets a little confusing past Nacogdoches
At that point, you have several ways to get to Texarkana (they way I travel)
Between Nacogdoches and Carthage, you have 2 options, I like to go on the Western option (Mt. Enterprise) because I think is faster route.
From Nacogdoches to Texarkana, there's 2 options, straight to Texarkana or go East through Shreveport.
I think driving through Shreveport is better because the highway from Shreveport to Texarkana is very nice and empty.
But ... The other way to Texarkana takes you to Marshall and Jefferson which I believe are 2 very old historic towns.

I got tired of the traffic on I-69 between Houston and Nacogdoches and now I drive North to Huntsville and then I go from there to Lufkin ... it's a very nice, relaxed drive.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:40 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
These towns are the oldest, in terms of people occupying the site long before a town was formally founded.

Presidio - 1535
Ysleta - 1680
Nacogdoches - 1717
San Antonio - 1718
Austin - 1730
Goliad - 1749
Laredo - 1755
Port Isabel - 1770s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas