Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredzio View Post
Is the property tax less than 1.5% in CL? That's good. I thought it was around 2%.

BTW median house value in Canyon Lake in 2005 was $127,900 (it was $98,100 in 2000) according to: //www.city-data.com/city/Canyon-Lake-Texas.html. On real estate websites I've seen nice houses offered in that area for under $200.000, even for under $150.000.
I got my figures from Sperling's Best Places. Here is the link:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

If you want government handouts, $150,000 is way too much to spend on a home. I work, have health insurance, and my house is great and not worth anywhere near that amount. It's modest, but lovely.

You must be realistic. Are you really "for real?"

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Canine-Castle--
he is for real in the sense that the plague is for real--

Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Thanks! I know that. We used to live in WI for many years and got Medicaid after our children were born (wasn't easy). But we can't stand cold weather and since I can do what I do for a living anywhere, why not a nicer climate? Also, Texans are supposed be extra nice people , although I can't say anything bad about Cheeseheads.
Ah, I missed that part of your post. Seriously, if it's important to you to write full-time and you need health insurance don't come to Texas. The people and climate may be nice, but the laws are not favorable or conducive for what you're trying to do. If you're determined to come here anyway, someone will need to work and even then health insurance for a family of four can be very costly on a writer's salary. You can possibly look into companies like Starbucks and UPS that offer benefits to part-time workers. Or you may be able to get Medicaid or CHIP for the kids only, leaving you and your wife without coverage. Then there are programs like the Gold Card offered through Harris County, and I've heard they pass out welfare like cookies in Galveston. Don't know how true that is. Have you tried looking into getting a discounted health care plan through writers'/artists' groups, like https://www.fracturedatlas.org based in NY?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:27 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
Quote:
In my definition a medical healthcare for children isn't welfare. Why should I spend 33% of my income on medical insurance premiums only because I am not nursed by government or an employer like you probably are?
It's a form of welfare, no doubt about it. My kids are off and on state medical help, mostly because it pays my co-pay for my employment insurance when a kid has to go to the doctor and I don't have the $20, $40 or $60 to pay it. I also get subsidized childcare so I can work. It's still a form of welfare though. Don't kid yourself.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:35 PM

42 posts, read 108,868 times
Quote:
Or you may be able to get Medicaid or CHIP for the kids only, leaving you and your wife without coverage. Then there are programs like the Gold Card offered through Harris County. Have you tried looking into getting a discounted health care plan through writers'/artists' groups, like https://www.fracturedatlas.org based in NY?
I really appreciate your tips Houstoner. I didn't know about health care offered thru writers’/artists’ groups. I'll give it a try, although with some pre-conditions it is nearly impossible to find an affordable plan.

There are so many replies in this thread but so few answers.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:03 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
If you have pre-existing conditions, you'll need to get into a large group plan which waives pre-existing conditions. BTDT. The only other way is to get denied by enough private insurance carriers to be eligible for the state's high-risk pool coverage. It's very difficult to be self-employed and get good/affordable health coverage in Texas. The two things just seem to be mutually exclusive.

I wish we have more answers for you, but alas, things are what they are. Someone is going to need to have a job working for an employer in order to get insurance coverage.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 108,868 times
Most indignant here are probably folks with healthcare paid by government. But who pays for it? You think it perfectly fair that my sale tax, property tax, income tax covers your benefits but consider shamefully unfair that I don't want to give away one third of my income for only a portion of what you get for free as a result of my hard work and taxes? Why only the self-employed have to pay? And be it as it may, that's the reality, but why some of you on top of it are so full of indignation seems to me surreal .

Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Most indignant here are probably folks with healthcare paid by government. But who pays for it? You think it perfectly fair that my sale tax, property tax, income tax covers your benefits but consider shamefully unfair that I don't want to give away one third of my income for only a portion of what you get for free as a result of my hard work and taxes? Why only the self-employed have to pay? And be it as it may, that's the reality, but why some of you on top of it are so full of indignation seems to me surreal .
WRONG. I have been self-employed for years, and have paid my own HIGH health insurance. There is NO government involved!!

I have never had subsidized anything....and that includes health insurance. My premiums are sky-high (not to mention my copay), but I have not used my insurance since 1995, and I am relatively healthy.

You also choose to be self-employed. Why the hell should I as a taxpayer pay for you and your kids to have free insurance?

I resent the hell out of it, but it seems those of us in the middle class have to subsidize everybody else. The very title of your post indicates that you think that the rest of us should subsidize your childrens' health care.

I don't think so. That goes for everybody else, too.

Medicaid should be done away with....and Medicare limited to those above 65 (as it was originally intended, and no, I'm not anywhere near 65).

The definition of "disabled" is far TOO broad these days. Some ARE truly disabled. For those, yes, they should be taken care of. But too many others just simply ain't.

They abuse the system for all they can get out of it. I would place you in that category.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but YOU are the one who wants everyone else to pay so you can live a particular lifestyle. Some of us actually make realistic choices in our lives and work and earn our benefits. The government has nothing to do with it. I'm beginning to think you are a troll based on such a nonsense reply.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:

There are so many replies in this thread but so few answers.
The only answers you need are if you want to be self-employed, get your own health insurance and live a modest life, put your kids to work, have your wife find a job, and go on picnics rather than spend money at Schlitterbahn. You can work one or two other jobs as well for more income.

If you don't want to pay for health insurance, get a job where the company pays a good portion of it. There really are simple solutions. People have to do what they have to do in this life to make ends meet. I have no sympathy for those trying to "gain" from the government.

You speak of the indignant on this forum as probable collectors of government health insurance or whatever. How far from the truth. I pay over $150 a month and my company pays the rest; this is just for me, the employee.

We're indignant because we're sick and tired of people standing in line for handouts. It's sickening and many of us have watched it for numerous decades. People need to learn to help themselves and not rely on others to get what they want. Grrrr!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas