Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 16,577 times

Advertisements

The title says it all ... I'm moving to Wichita Falls and I have some questions:

1) How good is Midwestern State?

2) My house is on Harrison street in between the "Wichita Falls Country Club" and the MSU Campus ... is that a good place in town?

3) I come from PA (originally born in Europe) what are some things that will potentially shock me? (haha) I've only been as far south as Georgia before.

4) I love to dance ... what are some very nice safe clubs in town?

5) Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
you say you have only been as far south as Georgia. i aint lookin at the map but i dont think Wichita Falls is further "south" than Georgia. Wichita Falls is a decent city. i never lived there, i lived about 45 min away out in the rural area, but worked in the city.
i used to go to Ropers and Graham Central Station (which is like 5 clubs in one-different kind of music in each club e.g. country/western, house/hiphop, rock, etc),

also there is/was OK Corrall, Outskirts, Stages West, Shooters, Iron Horse Pub, Texas Nite Life....now some of these may or may not be there any longer, perhaps someone who is there now, or recently can comment.

yes you will be in for a culture shock, especially if you venture out into the countryside. but remember Wichita Falls is also home to Sheppard AFB so there are alot of non-locals there

Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Keep them coming guys!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
MSU is the best-kept education secret in Texas. It's a very good school, especially strong in the sciences. Many students go there for pre-med work and are very successful when they get to the 'big-time" (like Southwest Medical School, etc), Unlike many colleges, it is located in a very nice neighborhood, some of the finest old homes in town.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
MSU is the best-kept education secret in Texas. It's a very good school, especially strong in the sciences. Many students go there for pre-med work and are very successful when they get to the 'big-time" (like Southwest Medical School, etc), Unlike many colleges, it is located in a very nice neighborhood, some of the finest old homes in town.
The campus is physically beautiful. Makes me think of a miniature Texas Tech! I am trying to talk some of my grandkids into considering it. It is an excellent small university.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default The Falls

Looks like you've selected kind of an older neighborhood, and that's where Harrison is, essentially. But you will like Midwestern State and the city. Nothing is far away and you'll have just enough amenities with a small-town feel, plus improving infrastructure.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Looks like you've selected kind of an older neighborhood, and that's where Harrison is, essentially. But you will like Midwestern State and the city. Nothing is far away and you'll have just enough amenities with a small-town feel, plus improving infrastructure.
There are old but nice neighborhoods, and old but nasty ... is this a nice one?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 PM

46 posts, read 181,787 times
There is a mix on Harrison, so it just depends on what side of Kell you are on. The side closer to MSU is the better one and that would be the area you described. There are some beautiful homes on that street. The other side of Kell just isn't as well kept.

I love the area around the university. Lots of charming, well kept older homes both big and small. It will be the most progressive (professors live there) area of the city and is very affordable. Beautiful trees for TX :-) Great for taking walks. MSU feels like a private school. You'll be able to get to know your instructors really well. I thought that was great.

WF is a very conservative place, but you will survive. It is more like the Midwest than the South. You will be just fine as long as you take things in stride and don't make local folks go on the defensive about their way of doing things.

I don't know about clubs, but the Iron Horse is an Irish pub that is an alright place to have a pint and here local music if you can stand all of the smoke.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,447 times
FYI- Graham's closed awhile back

Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Don't make any plans to be anywhere the morning of Saturday, August 23rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas