Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,823,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
Because I am still living in the Houston area, I have lived in both metros, I gave my input and then was attacked by many trying to defend an area that I do not care for. Not everyone is going to like Houston or advise people to move there. Just sayin'

Hey last time I checked, it was a public forum

Haha, you guys are really a trip.
Well consider this your lesson that any 'Houston or Dallas' discussion will be this volatile and impassioned. People in Texas seem to have more civic pride for where they live/are from then other parts of the country.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:47 AM

371 posts, read 544,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Well consider this your lesson that any 'Houston or Dallas' discussion will be this volatile and impassioned. People in Texas seem to have more civic pride for where they live/are from then other parts of the country.
Definitely why I am not a "real Texan" even though I have had to be here my whole life- but a job is about to not even be worth that anymore I definitely do not fit the typical mold for sure. Good thing we all do not want to live in the same place!

Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,603,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
Because I am still living in the Houston area, I have lived in both metros, I gave my input and then was attacked by many trying to defend an area that I do not care for. Not everyone is going to like Houston or advise people to move there. Just sayin'

Hey last time I checked, it was a public forum

Haha, you guys are really a trip.
We're a trip? You're the only one taking up thread-space on a topic that doesn't even apply to your needs, so, uh... no. All you're doing is complaining about where you live. Just move, if it's that inhibiting to your lifestyle. Why complain about it in a thread that has nothing to do with your personal misery?

And thanks for reminding me that it's a public forum. All this time I was thinking that the internet was my own private playground. For the record, I don't even live in Texas. I grew up there, but I live in Washington state. I don't go on threads in the Washington forums... let's just say hypothetically a thread titled "Which city should I live in - Seattle or Spokane?"... and whine about Washington's weather or lack of (hypothetical recreational activity). If it ever got that bad, I would just move. However, I happen to love it up here.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
For my taste in outdoor activities, I would personally take Dallas. Not because either offer much in the way of outdoor activities, they dont. Houston has better parks than Dallas does, but thats not it either.

Its because I can make it to the foothills of the Ozarks in 3 hours from Dallas. I prefer land activities to beaches.

Just personal taste.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:39 PM

371 posts, read 544,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
We're a trip? You're the only one taking up thread-space on a topic that doesn't even apply to your needs, so, uh... no. All you're doing is complaining about where you live. Just move, if it's that inhibiting to your lifestyle. Why complain about it in a thread that has nothing to do with your personal misery?

And thanks for reminding me that it's a public forum. All this time I was thinking that the internet was my own private playground. For the record, I don't even live in Texas. I grew up there, but I live in Washington state. I don't go on threads in the Washington forums... let's just say hypothetically a thread titled "Which city should I live in - Seattle or Spokane?"... and whine about Washington's weather or lack of (hypothetical recreational activity). If it ever got that bad, I would just move. However, I happen to love it up here.
I think living in both metros (and still living in one of them until plans are finalized to move) in the last almost 30 years gives grounds to be able to state an opinion if someone was asking what would you choose between the two. I just said I would choose Dallas over Houston and gave why I would make that choice- I did not just whine and not answer their question. Sorry but if I was moving from far away, I would like to know the good and bad from others- see what would apply to me most (they may be concerned with climate and outdoors or not who knows- it was not stated)- I just always like to know first hand. If they are more worried about politics or the urban lifestyle- then my opinion would not matter so much to them as maybe someone who has better input on what they are concerned with more. They can take all peoples' responses with a grain of salt. I was not coming on there just because I dislike living in the Houston area so much. I advise all people to truly see what it is like because it is a big change from most places.

And I heard Washington state is a beautiful place to live. Glad you enjoy it there.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:49 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,786,070 times
I'm doing this from my phone...

Dallas boots Houston from top 10 investment markets, report says

Candace Carlisle
Dallas Business Journal
Wednesday, October 8, 2014, 12:40pm CDT

Quote:
Dallas-Fort Worth has ranked as one of the top 10 growth cities targeted by global real estate investors, booting Houston outside the 10 coveted positions, according to a Cushman & Wakefield 2014 'Winning in Growth Cities' report released Wednesday.
Quote:
1. New York
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. Paris
7. Chicago
8. Washington, D.C.
9. Dallas
10. Hong Kong
Full article

Old 10-08-2014, 01:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

Candace Carlisle
Dallas Business Journal

Full article
Quote from the article below...

"During the time, Dallas received more than $14 trillion dollars of investment from around the globe"

They have got to be kidding 14 trillion? Thats almost equal to the entire GNP of the United States, they must have meant 14 billion!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Quote from the article below...

"During the time, Dallas received more than $14 trillion dollars of investment from around the globe"

They have got to be kidding 14 trillion? Thats almost equal to the entire GNP of the United States, they must have meant 14 billion!
right? and the article is hyping Dallas moving Houston to number eleven. barely out of the "top 10"..

Old 10-08-2014, 01:16 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

Candace Carlisle
Dallas Business Journal

Full article
The sensationalist way that the article frames this kind of obscures the story here, but technically it is correct. (And sensationalism is par for the course for nearly every Dallas media outlet.) However, this investment level changes from year to year. Last year Houston grew faster, this year it is Dallas. Next year could see a similar flip. There's only a few hundred million dollars difference between the two on a year-to-year basis if you look at the underlying data.

Good stuff though. Both metros are still doing very well.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,696 times
in other news... HSR plans slowly move forward.. meetings in cities near the proposed route.

http://oscarmail.net/photos/20141008...il_meeting.png

and the 3 proposed routes, from 2 months ago. they are either holding meetings in cities on all possible routes, or likely chosing the red BNSF route, straight up the middle of most of the cities holding meetings..

http://impactnews.com/downloads/3160...74c8c8e44f83a9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas