Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,773,283 times

Advertisements

Houston

Much of the city of Houston was built on forested land, marshes, swamp, or prairie, which are all still visible in surrounding areas. Flatness of the local terrain, when combined with urban sprawl, has made flooding a recurring problem for the city. Downtown stands about 50 feet above sea level, and the highest point in far northwest Houston is about 125 feet in elevation. So Houston is pretty flat too!

Pic of Houston from space

Dallas

Dallas and its surrounding area are mostly flat; the city itself lies at elevations ranging from 450 feet to 550 feet. The western edge of the Austin Chalk Formation, a limestone escarpment, rises 200 feet and runs roughly north-south through Dallas County. South of the Trinity River the uplift is particularly noticeable in the neighborhoods of Oak Cliff and the adjacent cities of Cockrell Hill, Cedar Hill, Grand Prairie, and Irving. Marked variations in terrain are also found in cities immediately to the west in Tarrant County surrounding Fort Worth, as well as along Turtle Creek north of Downtown. So Houston is flater than Dallas!

Suburb Of Dallas Cedar Hill,Tx

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/CedarHillAntennae.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,773,283 times
Does Houston has a World Trade Center?? Dallas has one 100 acre complex called Dallas Market Center spans more than 5,000,000 sq ft. The World Trade Center Building 15 stories 3,100,000 sq ft, Market Hall 214,000 sq ft, Trade Mart 1,000,000 sq ft, and the International Floral and Gift Center 440,000 sq ft. Dallas Market Center is the world's largest wholesale merchandise mart.

YouTube - Black Label Pet Designers Showroom World trade Center Dallas

http://blog.antiquetrader.com/blog/content/binary/Antiques%20Dallas%20market%20Center%20Interior.jpg (broken link)

http://www.designersegallery.com/world%20trade%20center.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,787,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is where the Piney Woods of Southeast Texas end & the Gulf Coast begins.

Generally speaking, everything north of downtown is forested. I'll take Houston's mix of pine trees & palm trees any day over Dallas' short canopy of sparse, prairie-like scrub brush vegetation. Winter time in Dallas is very depressing too with gray skies & no leaves on the trees, just brown sticks. At least Houston stays green year round for the most part.
Go live in Chicago and then come back and say winter anywhere in Texas is depressing. I lived in Chi-town for 2 years and I had to move back to LA because the winters were so cold. Having visited DFW in the winter, its nowhere near as bad as 90% of the country. However, I agree Houston is definately more pleasant.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,384,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is where the Piney Woods of Southeast Texas end & the Gulf Coast begins.

Generally speaking, everything north of downtown is forested. I'll take Houston's mix of pine trees & palm trees any day over Dallas' short canopy of sparse, prairie-like scrub brush vegetation. Winter time in Dallas is very depressing too with gray skies & no leaves on the trees, just brown sticks. At least Houston stays green year round for the most part.
Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

When I decided to leave Atanta and make a return to Texas, Houston was an option and I visited extensively. I found Houston's northside vegetation was not enough to overcome the mundane flatness of the entire region. That along with an amalgamation of other reasons; not the least no zoing laws, led me back to DFW. I find the DFW area with it's vistas, plateaus and prairies mixed with stretches of dense woodlands, rivers and lakes to be much more attractive. The more defined change of seasons is a plus for me also.

Last edited by First24; 08-10-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,787,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

When I decided to leave Atanta and make a return to Texas, Houston was an option and I visited extensively. I found Houston's northside vegetation was not enough to overcome the mundane flatness of the entire region. That along with a amalgmation of other reasons; not the least no zoing laws, led me back to DFW. I find the DFW area with it's vistas, plateaus and prairies mixed with stretches of dense woodlands, rivers and lakes to be much more attractive. The more defined change of seasons is a plus for me also.
Thats what gets me about the pissing match between Houston and Dallas. Its really all a matter of preference and people seem to forget that as if opinions could be wrong.

Im kind of like the prarieland around here the same way Im sure I would have liked the trees around Houston. DFW is not near as flat and that helps being from SoCal, but its still very flat compared to SoCal.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,384,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats what gets me about the pissing match between Houston and Dallas. Its really all a matter of preference and people seem to forget that as if opinions could be wrong.

Im kind of like the prarieland around here the same way Im sure I would have liked the trees around Houston. DFW is not near as flat and that helps being from SoCal, but its still very flat compared to SoCal.
Good points.

Unfortunately most of these types of threads turn into huge pissing matches.

Truth is, both Dallas and Houston are great cities with awesome amenities and more alike than most who reside in them will admit.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 PM

848 posts, read 2,130,144 times
Why is flatness such a big deal?

Flatness is not generally held against Miami, Chicago and NY. But it's held against Houston for some reason. Nothing more than a bashing point, I suppose.

In terms of ease on my vehicle, I actually prefer Houston's flatness. San Diego's 805 was pretty rough on my other car's transmission, which seemed to be used to flatness hitherto, if such can be said about automobiles.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,976,983 times
^^Agreed. It seems that flatness is not death on this forum and Houston is not as flat as Miami or Chicago, but they get passes (though, Chicago's suburbs are more hilly). Even DFW is not all that hilly outside of SW Dallas County. Fort Worth has hills, but most of the suburbs are flat, with a few rolling hills here and there. Nothing too significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
snip
This isn't true. The highest point is not 125 feet. Even the Woodlands is higher than that, and that is where the "rolling terrain/hills" in the area start.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 AM

16 posts, read 68,251 times
Have you ever heard texans do not know how to drive in snow and ice but Dallas gets snow we sometimes we have white christmas

Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 AM

16 posts, read 68,251 times
and let us not forget Dallas has the largest inland forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas