Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
As I've cited before, Dallas' and Houston's city proper look very much alike as far as intown tree cover. The Houston area's main area of natural occurring tree cover is on the far northside. Tomball and The Woodlands.

I prefer the cross timber terrain with vistas and hills of the Dallas area to the green coastal flatlands of Houston anyways.
Just from all my experiences in Houston and Dallas, Houston has always looked so much greener and seemed to have more tree canopy. Even outside of the northern parts. What about Memorial Park? And the whole Memorial area (which is a huge swath of the west side) for that matter. Then you go south of downtown and have West University and the museum district area, which have massive oaks. Then there's the River Oaks area. Where in Dallas, outside of White Rock and the university area are there large amounts of trees? Dallas metro is largely a prairie setting if you ask me. People always post these photos overlooking White Rock Lake area or something, but those photos are not very representative at all of how the city looks as a whole.

And sorry, I don't think Dallas is hilly either. At least coming from someone who used to live in Austin.

Not trying to argue... I just don't get it.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Just from all my experiences in Houston and Dallas, Houston has always looked so much greener and seemed to have more tree canopy. Even outside of the northern parts. What about Memorial Park? And the whole Memorial area (which is a huge swath of the west side) for that matter. Then you go south of downtown and have West University and the museum district area, which have massive oaks. Then there's the River Oaks area. Where in Dallas, outside of White Rock and the university area are there large amounts of trees? Dallas metro is largely a prairie setting if you ask me. People always post these photos overlooking White Rock Lake area or something, but those photos are not very representative at all of how the city looks as a whole.

And sorry, I don't think Dallas is hilly either. At least coming from someone who used to live in Austin.

I was thinking the same thing. The North side and West side of Houston all the way to the Beltway has decent tree coverage. The East Side isnt all that bad either.

Realistically, Dallas' vegetation is much more localized than Houston's more widespread foliage.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:47 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

You know AK, it's all a matter of each person's preference and where their livelihood is located. There are many transplants from cities that I consider having far more beautiful natural settings than both Dallas and Houston; yet, they still chose to move and more continue to arrive.

And, I don't think Houston is forested either. At least coming from someone who used to live in the DC and Atlanta areas.

Quote:
Same here.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
And, I don't think Houston is forested either. At least coming from someone who used to live in the DC and Atlanta areas.
It isn't more forested than those. But I think it is more forested than DFW. The thread is Houston-Dallas, not those other places.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Ughhh Dallas is soo boring! I hate going there to visit family, it's so hottt there, way hotter than Houston is, usually in the summer, but the lakes are nice. Houston has a far better cultural and theatre arts center, not to mention the vast amount of public parks. Anyway Houston's skyline is better.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Houston is easily more forested than Dallas. Houston sits at the end of the Piney Woods. Dallas is in a giant prairie. Most of those trees you see in Dallas were planted, while Houston's were natural. All you have to do is drive on I-45 from Houston to Dallas. You can easily see the changes.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
You know AK, it's all a matter of each person's preference and where their livelihood is located. There are many transplants from cities that I consider having far more beautiful natural settings than both Dallas and Houston; yet, they still chose to move and more continue to arrive.

Same here.
Uhh....Try going to the Woodlands or Kingwood.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Just got back from two weeks in Houston. Seriously you guys have a wayyyy higher opinion than that place deserves. Its not a bad place, but its not this meca that you guys make it out to be. Its like really, really flat Dallas-FW with half the stuff to do.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
I don't think Houston is forested either. At least coming from someone who used to live in the DC and Atlanta areas.
Houston is where the Piney Woods of Southeast Texas end & the Gulf Coast begins.

Generally speaking, everything north of downtown is forested. I'll take Houston's mix of pine trees & palm trees any day over Dallas' short canopy of sparse, prairie-like scrub brush vegetation. Winter time in Dallas is very depressing too with gray skies & no leaves on the trees, just brown sticks. At least Houston stays green year round for the most part.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianCKR View Post
Ughhh Dallas is soo boring! I hate going there to visit family, it's so hottt there, way hotter than Houston is, usually in the summer, but the lakes are nice. Houston has a far better cultural and theatre arts center, not to mention the vast amount of public parks. Anyway Houston's skyline is better.
Where in Dallas have you been? Dallas is not boring you must have not been everywere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas