Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Specs is opening in Dallas.
Goody Goody Liquor is a very nice chain of liquor stores in Dallas.
Spec's in Dallas? That's just wrong...oh well enjoy!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM

328 posts, read 471,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Spec's in Dallas? That's just wrong...oh well enjoy!
Hey, at least there will be one example of a store opening in Houston first, then Dallas later!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
The two cities are so similar in most things that it really is silly to nit pick the minor things to make one seem to stand out. Houston does some things better than Dallas and Dallas does some things better than Houston. It's when people from the other side can't admit that the other does do something a little better when the arguing begins.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
And where have you backed up your assertion that Dallas suburbs contribute to its density? What a joke! That's rich coming from you, somebody who doesn't live in EITHER city but talks out of his ass on both CONSTANTLY.

Obviously, Dallas freeways have bad traffic, too. Three things:

1. Conjestion isn't limited to freeways. I hate freeways and avoid them. But you don't need a freeway to get around the city proper. I can get anywhere inside 635 in 30 minutes or less on backroads. I DARE you to do that in Houston, a city TWICE the size of Dallas and TWICE AS CROWDED.

2. Dallas freeways have been outdated for some time and are currently undergoing expansion projects. Let's see that list again after Dallas finally gets the TxDOT love they've been neglected from for years.

3. Houston has four of the top 10 conjested areas in Texas according to that list. Looks like I wasn't too far off.
And as a result **** like this happens...

Dangerous curve needs traffic signal, residents warn | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

"A city engineer said she's not sure stopping traffic on Lemmon Avenue is a good idea, because it might cause more congestion near the Central Expressway."

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-14-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM

172 posts, read 411,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
IF I had to choose between the two, I'd take Dallas if for no other reason than the humidity is much less....and they're not subject to hurricanes as Houston is. Dallas also gets more of a winter than Houston, so that's another "plus."

But....having said that, I am not really a big city person....and would not really want to live in a place any larger than where I am now. I am such a wuss that traffic in EITHER place drives me NUTZO!!!

IF I had to live in a big city in TX....it would be El Paso.

Dallas hands down! el paso? hell no! to much crime weather blows no jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb123 View Post
Well, I will give a non-native, from-the-progressive-NW opinion... there is no city in Texas worth living, other than Austin! I know many people who share a similar viewpoint. It's Texas, without being Texas.

I love it and am so happy we moved here!

I have been to Dallas several times, and I could never live there... Houston, never been - but not feeling like I need to visit either. Though, my interest is piqued a bit as I am confused at what makes it so "International".

I am also interested in what "Big City Amenities" I am missing down here?? I am from Seattle, and before that, the DC area... so I think I've experienced several cities, and can't think of what is lacking?
im sorry not to bash you but is this a joke^^^ austin is the "only city to live in? austin is hardly real texas feel. You are likely a liberal yes? yes im just assuming but really. the people i find who love austin and who arent from texas all love austin's "progressive culture" and its SF type feel and how hip it is. The only part's of austin worth living to me are the LAKE and all around the lake basically anywhere west of Mopac all the way to marble falls is nice anywhere around the lake or in the barton creek, west lake anywhere in the eanes district or that of lago vista, steiner ranch is nice, north west austin is nice, the only nice parts of the city of austin within its immediate city limits is tarrytown, pemberton and circle c other than that your wasting your time.

But that is all preference their are very nice condo's downtown and tons of nice expensive renevated homes in central austin off congress lamar or south 1st, just not the best place to raise a family due to poor environment not very family friendly and not the type of shopping places that are prevalent in big cities let alone austin does not have a "high class life" or that of elite restaurants,

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am partial since I am a native and resident . Been to Houston numerous times, have friends and relatives that live there. The traffic has ALWAYS been a killer in Houston. Even decades ago traffic in Houston never had a true "rush hour". It could be bumper to bumper on the highways at 2 in the morning (one reason my dad as a truck driver hated having to do Houston). As for the Olmpic bid, well, the Cotton Bowl's age along w/ the conditions of Texas Stadium and Reunion Arena kind of helped edge Dallas out of the running for that. Along w/ the fact that the Dallas Convention Center had not undergone their major expansion at that time. Now, w/ the DCC and AAC (American Airlines Center) along w/ all of the new facilities in Frisco and surrounding metroplex we would easily displace Houston if they were to go toe to toe again.

As for the Cosmopolitan feel, Dallas hands down. I'm hard pressed to say that the Big D has a "Texas" feel to it being that I am one of the few natives. Overall the entire Dallas metroplex has more of a cosmopolitan flair vs a "Texas" feel. So much has changed in the last year even to add to that. This week I was downtown and in the Victory Park area for the NHL All-Star activities and just looking around at all of the changes in the landscape of the city made me accutely aware of what all has transpired. If one has not been to Dallas for more than a weekend visit in the last few years, just change everything that you thought of Dallas before. And I can say that as one of the few people that was down at the events this week wearing boots. That whole "metrosexual" vibe is alive and well. Trendy is the name of the game (and I play that game too ).

The cons for Houston for me are the traffic, the lack of zoning and the weather. Houston always had that "blue collar" label (ducking for cover now but hey, I AM a native and knew the Houston of years past ) and even now w/ more growth in the medical industry and banking the zoning issues make it tough to shake. Kind of hard to make it a hard sell when driving down the road you see a rundown shack next to a higher end store/restaurant/building. The weather, when even residents give the usual weather forcast as "partly sunny w/ an 80% chance of rain just like every other day here", well that sums it up. Like one cousin said that lives there, it rains everyday here in some way, shape or form somewhere in the area. The humdity is much higher there than Dallas. At least Galveston gets the breeze off the coast . I have friends that grew up in Houston and even the other day one said even though her family is there she could not go back after living here in Dallas. She said that in Houston she stayed in her "little bubble" and never went out of it but in Dallas she likes going all over. She still goes back to visit family but even then she said she never leaves "the bubble". Sad. But then there are people in the Dallas metroplex that never leave the little bubble they put themselves inside of.
^^ boom!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
El Paso has by far the lowest crime rate of any big city in Texas. It is consistently rated in the top 5 lowest crime cities with a population of over 500K in the U.S. One would expect some spill over from the chaos in Juarez, but in terms of official crime statistics, El Paso is one of the safest, and in some years, has the lowest crime rate of any major metropolitan area in the U.S. It is statistically much safer than Houston, Austin, San Antonio, DFW and many much smaller Texas and national cities. Go figure.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
Outside of Texas, to the rest of the country we're all a bunch of gun-toting, fatty fat fat rednecks! Come on, boy! Yee haw!

I'm better than you, my house is better than your house, my street is better than your street, my school is better than your school, my neighborhood is better than your neighborhood, my city is better than your city, my region is better than your region, my state is better than your state, my area of the country is better than your area of the country, my country is better than your country, my continent is better than your continent.

And these are all adults here?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The two cities are so similar in most things .
They are similar only if you piggy back FW.

Really it takes you guys a combo of two of the top 20 largest cities in the US just to come close to matching us.

You all know you would not be near us without FW.

All your Amenities were brought about because FW was near.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
They are similar only if you piggy back FW.

Really it takes you guys a combo of two of the top 20 largest cities in the US just to come close to matching us.

You all know you would not be near us without FW.

All your Amenities were brought about because FW was near.
I think its funny the new Cowboys stadium is closer to Fort Worth than it is Dallas. Even on one of the pre-season games they showed a shot of DT FTW at night with actual people walking the around the streets instead of dead DT Dallas.

It just goes to show other people outside of Texas are catching onto that.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I think its funny the new Cowboys stadium is closer to Fort Worth than it is Dallas. Even on one of the pre-season games they showed a shot of DT FTW at night with actual people walking the around the streets instead of dead DT Dallas.

It just goes to show other people outside of Texas are catching onto that.
And yet dtd is still more alive than the sleeping giant dt houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas