Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times

Advertisements

Oh, do I hate Arlington. Just about everyone I meet hates Arlington as well. I prefer Mansfield A LOT better than Arlington. Mansfield seems to be doing better things than Arlington, especially for a town of its size.

I would much rather prefer living in Irving, or Plano than Arlington. I am only here until December. From there it is Houston. If I absolutely much stay here though, I would move to Irving (they do a great job with public space), or Plano.

The city leaders here would rather build the Cowboys Stadium, instead of putting up a mass transit system. Arlington likes to believe they are some big city, when in reality, it is just an overgrown bedroom community. Nothing more than that. I can't believe they didn't join DART. Arlington could have at least had a public transportation system of some kind though. The routes would be pretty simple (everywhere but southwest and far northern Arlington, where most of the users of mass transit would be). To put it simple, the city was built by horrible planners.

I doubt Fort Worth gets light rail. It would most likely be BRT. Dallas' new DART expansion will be the last of light rail we will see for a while, or at least until the feds stop promoting BRT so much. I do agree that Arlington should join up with Fort Worth.

A TRE stop in North Arlington wouldn't be such a good idea. The Centerpoint Station is right there, so another stop would do much.

For Houston's plans, go to MetroSolutions.Org.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Well lets see ... Houston is not a pretty city, it never has been, never will be - BUT it is also the best city in the state for affordable housing (and nice housing at that) and one of the best unemployment rates. It is also one of the best cities in the nation for new business start-ups (including small businesses). Ethnic diversity is excellent and so are the restaurants that go with that. If someone works hard enough they have very good odds of being successful here.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:47 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,648 times
houston beat dallas. case closed.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 AM

609 posts, read 2,922,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
houston beat dallas. case closed.
All I can say is "preseason."

We'll see who makes it to the play-offs this year.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Oh, do I hate Arlington. Just about everyone I meet hates Arlington as well. I prefer Mansfield A LOT better than Arlington. Mansfield seems to be doing better things than Arlington, especially for a town of its size.

I would much rather prefer living in Irving, or Plano than Arlington. I am only here until December. From there it is Houston. If I absolutely much stay here though, I would move to Irving (they do a great job with public space), or Plano.

The city leaders here would rather build the Cowboys Stadium, instead of putting up a mass transit system. Arlington likes to believe they are some big city, when in reality, it is just an overgrown bedroom community. Nothing more than that. I can't believe they didn't join DART. Arlington could have at least had a public transportation system of some kind though. The routes would be pretty simple (everywhere but southwest and far northern Arlington, where most of the users of mass transit would be). To put it simple, the city was built by horrible planners.

I doubt Fort Worth gets light rail. It would most likely be BRT. Dallas' new DART expansion will be the last of light rail we will see for a while, or at least until the feds stop promoting BRT so much. I do agree that Arlington should join up with Fort Worth.

A TRE stop in North Arlington wouldn't be such a good idea. The Centerpoint Station is right there, so another stop would do much.

For Houston's plans, go to MetroSolutions.Org.
I avoid Arlington like the plague.. I feel for you.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Houston is not a pretty city, it never has been, never will be
So is New York City. Look what happened to beautiful Philadelphia--it was overtaken by New York City.

Then again Dallas is the Los Angeles of the South. (insert KNX Traffic sounder here)

Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM

217 posts, read 346,548 times
houston is a better city because it has a cooler name. HOUSTON, no city can top that name.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
All I can say is "preseason."

We'll see who makes it to the play-offs this year.
Haha, yet all week, the Dallas media, players, and coaches were saying "the Cowboys play the pre-season like it is a regular season game". When the Broncos were complaining about how the Cowboys gameplanned, the Cowboys said "that is how we always play, rough". Now all of a sudden, the third and most important preseason game to the Cowboys was nothing. They just blew it off because they were blown out in Houston. For this season, I think we know who the best team in Texas is... If you are going to talk smack before the game, fine, but don't crawdad your way out of it after the results.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,048 times
Quote:
Haha, yet all week, the Dallas media, players, and coaches were saying "the Cowboys play the pre-season like it is a regular season game". When the Broncos were complaining about how the Cowboys gameplanned, the Cowboys said "that is how we always play, rough". Now all of a sudden, the third and most important preseason game to the Cowboys was nothing. They just blew it off because they were blown out in Houston. For this season, I think we know who the best team in Texas is... If you are going to talk smack before the game, fine, but don't crawdad your way out of it after the results.
I think we'll see where the dice fall once the regular season is on the way.
Never put much stock into the pre-season....except it gives me a few clues for my fantasy team.
I can say this...Texans will be better this year, but one game will not dictate a whole season. Shaub's still got lots to prove in his first year as starter with the TExans. The Texans still have a lot to prove with their running back as well.
AS for the Cowboys, their O-line still needs to prove something. I think their two back system works well for the most part...though I think marion barber deserves to be the starter and majority back. Tony Romo is still a big question mark. Their defense is still a big "if", but hopefully better with the Wade Phillips 3-4.
I'm not saying the Cowboys are going to the Superbowl, but I will say this, they'll be decent this year. I dont think you can comment who the best team in Texas is based on a pre-season game. You have to look at the season and how the players come together using the regular season schemes rather than a few preseason schemes.
In fact, when the Cowboys were 3-0-1 last year in the pre-season, it was heavily criticized that they revealed too much of their regular season plays that allowed teams like New Orleans to come in and whoop up on us late in the season.

Like I say, I'm not declaring any team the best team in TExas. I'm just commenting on the fact that too much stock on this board has been put onto the pre-season. If that were the case, we would think Indianapolis is consistently the worst team in football as they're regularly losing in the pre-season...but go figure, they're superbowl champs and they own one of the best records in the NFL these last few years.
Same goes for the Patriots. If you look at the Saints last year and place stock into their pre-season, you would say the same things.
So let's wait till the regular season falls out. If the Texans are in the Superbowl and win, then fine...if the Texans get to the playoffs and the Cowboys dont, then fine, agreed. But to say one team vs. another is better based on a pre-season game...dont think I can agree with that comment. I can agree on that given night, the Texans were better than the Cowboys. But the best team in the state of Texas has yet to be determined.
Let the season begin! lol..knowing my luck, I'm going to get a "Texan" on my team when the our draft begins on Sept. 2nd...

Last edited by metroplex2003; 08-27-2007 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
The players nor the coaches were saying that they felt good about winning because it brings confidence about before going into the season. Find me a quote where they said they play it lik ethe regular season. They blitzed. SO did every other team in the NFL. The Pats killed Vince Young, The eagles, steelers, ravens, etc. etc. all blitzed. All have broke the "code of conduct." The best NFL team this season in Texas is the Dallas Cowboys. A meaningless preseason game will not change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas