Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 PM

717 posts, read 899,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
See, I find that train of thought intriguing. In my opinion, to say that the vegetation in a city like Lufkin or Huntsville, or the Woodlands, or even Beaumont, isnt comparable to any cities in the southeast just belies what Ive experienced.
Those cities are comparable (Beaumont to a lesser extent), but only the northern parts of Houston fall into that region. Atlanta is still more green then those places though

What I'm saying is that as a whole the Atlanta area is much more forested than the Houston area as a whole.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Those cities are comparable (Beaumont to a lesser extent), but only the northern parts of Houston fall into that region. Atlanta is still more green then those places though

What I'm saying is that as a whole the Atlanta area is much more forested than the Houston area as a whole.
Then again, thats a bit like saying that Lufkin is more green than Houston. Obviously, a city the size of Houston is not going to have the same consistency of vegetation as a city half its size. There isnt where around Atlanta that is greener than Lufkin, or Conroe. Nevertheless, although I disagree with it, your point is taken.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Then again, thats a bit like saying that Lufkin is more green than Houston. Obviously, a city the size of Houston is not going to have the same consistency of vegetation as a city half its size. There isnt where around Atlanta that is greener than Lufkin, or Conroe. Nevertheless, although I disagree with it, your point is taken.
Not sure I understand what you're saying here. Atlanta is around the same size of Houston with much more tree cover and more consistently tall trees. I mean, that's pretty much a fact.

This is generally what most of the Atlanta area looks like. Most of Houston don't look like this

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ep-top-17.html

ATLANTA, Georgia - January 2011 - SkyscraperPage Forum

atlanta ga - Google Maps

Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,770 times
LOL, I find it funny that Atlanta has made its way into the Dallas vs. Houston thread. The only experience I have with Atlanta is a stop on the way to England. The airport was ghetto as hell, so I have trouble caring about the city itself.

I did LOVE the series, "The Walking Dead" which was filmed in and around Atlanta. That's all I've got.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
LOL, I find it funny that Atlanta has made its way into the Dallas vs. Houston thread. The only experience I have with Atlanta is a stop on the way to England. The airport was ghetto as hell, so I have trouble caring about the city itself.

I did LOVE the series, "The Walking Dead" which was filmed in and around Atlanta. That's all I've got.
Yes, airports are a great indicator of what a city of over 5 million people is like.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,846,154 times
This is Houston vs. Dallas lets leave small economy Atlanta out of this.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 PM

It's not really about Atlanta as much as it is about trees. Metro Matt was exaggerating the "barrenness" of DFW, but then turns around and says that Houston is in the same league as cities like Atlanta, when it comes to trees.

I'd actually say that Houston is more like half way between the two.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,846,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
It's not really about Atlanta as much as it is about trees. Metro Matt was exaggerating the "barrenness" of DFW, but then turns around and says that Houston is in the same league as cities like Atlanta, when it comes to trees.

I'd actually say that Houston is more like half way between the two.
Ignore that particular poster...he loves stiring up mess.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I have to agree; I joke a lot about it, but the truth is; Dallas is not barren. Nowhere close to it. The areas around it are, but the city of Dallas is pretty lush imo.

I just think people consider it barren because the trees aren't as tall as what you see in the eastern parts of the state.
Dallas isn't barren really, but it can look barren in some spots. It's not as bad as Fort Worth though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
palm trees + pine trees + live oaks > pine trees

Houston also has a ton of Post Oak trees too, hence the street name Post Oak Blvd.

I'm not saying Houston & Atlanta aren't comparable with their tree coverage because they are. Houston just has a more diverse variety. Atlanta has more overall vegetation because its not near the coast like Houston is where the whole southern side of town becomes coastal prairie. In Dallas that's all there is, prairie.
That prairie in DFW can be nice though. I wish Houston had the hilltop views that you get all over DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Not Texas city should even be compared to SE cities as far as tree coverage goes and it's not because it's no competition but due to how cities in Texas are built. Trees are torn down here with a quickness; whereas in the SE;the trees are spared and incorporated into developments.
That and we are flatter here. Harder to develop in the SE with the bigger hills/low mountains. Not to mention all of the winding streets like in Atlanta (thus making it much less dense than Houston or Dallas). If Houston was located thirty miles north, or if Dallas was located 40 miles to the east, we wouldn't be having this conversation, IMO. Both would look just like Atlanta.

Last edited by Trae713; 07-08-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
If Houston was located thirty miles north, or if Dallas was located 40 miles to the east, we wouldn't be having this conversation, IMO. Both would look just like Atlanta.
Similar, yes, but not just like it. While heavily forested, East Texas still sits within the coastal plain. It would actually look more like some of the southern parts of Georgia like Columbus, Warner Robins, or Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas