Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times

Advertisements

Please pray for Hurricane Ike's helpless victims. I know there are lots of homeless stray animals that will perish on Galveston Island and in the areas hit hard. It makes me cry just thinking about how scared they must be. Also, I am sure there are some pets who were left behind for whatever reason, by evacuees. And the kennels, pet boarding places, animal shelters, who must now evacuate for safety. It breaks my heart. God bless our fourlegged furry friends.
I wish I could save them all. If I ever win the lottery or marry a rich man, I will devote the rest of my life to help our fourlegged friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,701 times
Cows, fish, yea I understand how they might not fit in a car or be a convenience in an emergency. Not a dog, wtf? How can anyone leave their dog behind?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
there are, unfortunately, many bad pet owners. there were plenty left behind in NOLA during Hurricane Katrina. it's very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Cows, fish, yea I understand how they might not fit in a car or be a convenience in an emergency. Not a dog, wtf? How can anyone leave their dog behind?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Please pray for Hurricane Ike's helpless victims. I know there are lots of homeless stray animals that will perish on Galveston Island and in the areas hit hard. It makes me cry just thinking about how scared they must be. Also, I am sure there are some pets who were left behind for whatever reason, by evacuees. And the kennels, pet boarding places, animal shelters, who must now evacuate for safety. It breaks my heart. God bless our fourlegged furry friends.
I wish I could save them all. If I ever win the lottery or marry a rich man, I will devote the rest of my life to help our fourlegged friends.

I agree. I worry more about them than people because they really are truly helpless and don't know what to do. I could never leave my girls behind no matter what and some people seem to have to do that. I couldn't do it and live with myself.

The strays..........It's sad enough how they have to live and then with a hurricane coming, how frightened they will be. Poor little guys and gals.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,923 times
Default From Canada to Texas

Evening,

First, I just would like to say Hello to Belle from Texas, and say how happy I am to see that somebody else does care as to what is happening to the strays and the left behind re: Hurricane.

I live in the Laurentians, north of Montreal, Quebec, Canada..and during Katrina and the weeks following after, I was more than proud to offer my services as an internet geek/VA in helping owners of displaced or simply forgotten animals.

I was able to do this through NOLA forum. Now, as Ike is doing its thing, I am now searching the internet trying to find another forum as above where persons are concerned and trying to help re: animals.

I do not know if this is the right place, but if so, please do not hesitate to contact me. It will be my honor to help in anyway I can through the internet.

This is serious, and done on a volunteer basis.

Elenora

Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,716 times
My dear Texans friends, how are you?

I'm worry because I have watched TV and I have known that you have hurricane Ike in arrive.

I hope that you are well.

I hug you

Old 09-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
My dear Texans friends, how are you?

I'm worry because I have watched TV and I have known that you have hurricane Ike in arrive.

I hope that you are well.

I hug you

Hey minniemouse,

How are you? I hope you're doing very well.

In central Texas where I live, Hurricane Ike didn't do anything except bring a little rain and wind. I was hoping for a lot of rain since it has been so dry, but that didn't happened.

I haven't even tuned in yet to the TV to see just how bad the storm was/is in the rest of Texas.

Thanks for asking about your Texas friends.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,716 times
Hi Canine*Castle,

I'm fine, thank but I'm very worry because the TV told that there were the dead yesterday.
Is this hurricane vary hard?

I know that this hurricane has been terrifing to Galveston and Houston area

I'm fond everyone !

Old 09-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hi Canine*Castle,

I'm fine, thank but I'm very worry because the TV told that there were the dead yesterday.
Is this hurricane vary hard?

I know that this hurricane has been terrifing to Galveston and Houston area

I'm fond everyone !
People really should have heeded the warning to evacuate, but there are always those who don't leave.

I think there were 25 deaths in Texas. I know if I lived down there, I would have left days before the Hurricane hit. I don't understand why people take chances when they have plenty of time to leave the area.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
A lot of people who don't leave have been through hurricanes before and know what to expect out of them, and too, there's a bit of complacency. It's been almost 25 yrs. since a hurricane (I mean a good cat 3 or more) hit Texas. Most people don't actually expect them to make it here. My mom lives in Clear Lake (Webster) and grew up in CC area, so she wasn't really worried. She's lived through a number of hurricanes in her life. She'd only leave for a Cat 4 or higher. The only thing they didn't like about staying put this time is because my stepdad didn't want to be without AC for 24 hrs. (the power was out). So after the storm was over, they came to my sisters house. Now, if I lived right on the coast, like I could see the beach from my house, I'd leave. I don't really think that's too smart. Still don't know the deal with my sisters friend in Bacliff, although they were doing high water rescues and had the whole area cordoned off. My mom tried to go there to check on her and they wouldn't let her in. Bacliff is on the water though and it wasn't smart of her to stay put, at least right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas