Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:18 PM

46 posts, read 131,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
You are all going to die. I am buying my home unseen on the internet when I go. I know that is a bad thing but if I get a cash buyer, he/she is going to want to close fast. With the airport problems and cost I will never get there in time to close. So kill me
ROTFLMBO! You're adorable. Run like the wind!

(Bound for Texas, I'm glad I could save someone a bit of cash and hassle re the scrips at least.)

Old 08-27-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Babe View Post
Whataburger is pretty much the same thing
I haven't had a chance to go by Whataburger yet. When I lived here long time ago, Whataburger was the absolute best. So when I moved to CA, I missed it a lot. And then I discovered In N Out, which came the closest to reminding me of Whataburger.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Moving on....

Ok, so since I've been having immediate experiences immediately upon experiencing them, and electing to post some of them before my evaporating memory would lose them, and knowing that I would be posting numerous times and thus not concerning myself too darn much at this early juncture with recounting everything all at once, especially with a 5K word limit per post, which you don't know until you hit the Preview or Submit button, and I am now able to take some time to further elaborate, I hereby do so.

Certain aspects of life that normally have no religious influence on them elsewhere (outside of the Bible Belt) cannot help but be noticed when now they are influenced. As in buying a beer. That is something most people will not mention in polite or casual conversation. So, it's the sort of thing you kind of have to stumble onto.

I don't care what your religion is, I truly don't. But folks in small towns do care, just not overtly. I knew I'd be moving into the Bible Belt (check out Wikipedia) so I was ready for lots of Christian churches per square inch. I personally really don't care. I'm just not personally religious (spiritual yes, believe in God and morals, yes, but religious, no).

So, I wasn't shocked or offended when the first person I talked to about renting an apt. asked me my religion. Just like all over the world in small villages out in the middle of nowhere. Difference is that here the religion is of the Christian variety -- Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, etc. Neither good, bad, or indifferent. It just is. Now, I think that if you asked a local, they'd go out of their way to assure you that you have every right to practice any religion you want, they respect you utterly in whatever choice you make. They're totally sincere. They are trying to lead a good and righteous life. Which makes them 99.99% nice people who are constantly trying to be more like Jesus each passing day. But they might not cotton to you wanting to marry their daughter. Just saying.

I was kinda' surprised at how quickly I was able to slide back into Texan mode, accent and everythang. So I can conduct a casual conversation with folks just as easily as ever, and even more comfortably than in CA. See, I like to shoot the breeze, I like to say howdy, how are you. That's not so common in metropolitan CA cities.

Right this minute, I'm listening to a thunderhead grumble, feeling the air moistening up and just enjoying the simple pleasure of actual weather. A strike pretty close by! The power went out for a second. It was cool. I've always loved thunderstorms. Some people are afraid of them, and that's ok. Come sit on the bed on a pillow, to get your feet off the ground, turn off the TV, don't be on the phone, and smell the rain coming. Listen to how the rainfall sounds like a skate board rolling down a semi-smooth sidewalk.

I've seen only one cat and no dogs.

Part of being ok with living in a tiny town for me is the internet. I can blog and read around the world, but for half the rent.

Dating will be interesting. How do I meet a sweet Texas man who isn't afraid to go outside his religion or isn't already married?

Here's one of things about Texas I really like: it grows very handsome men. Of all shades. Sexy, strong, smooth-natured, funny and fun flirters. The Mexican men are extremely romantic but notoriously macho.

More later

Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Hehe, maybe that is why hubby doesn't want to go to Texas. He says, I'll love it there. Hummm, I guess I can't still look but I can't touch. Just kidding.

I like the way you tell your story. It almost makes me feel I am right there with you. Do you write books?

Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Ok, here's more.......

Why am I posting on a Saturday night? Because I haven't been asked on a date yet. But I learned that high school football season has started, so I'm going to go find the local HS's schedule and start attending. I like live football. And football is the national religion of Texas, and it is something that everyone can talk about without fear of going to hell.

Just watched "Invincible" too. Very nice little film. Now, this is the first time I've been out to a movie on my lonesome in quite a while. $3. $1.50 for a small beverage. And the seats were functional, the crowd was clean cut, the parking sufficient and the service staffed by teenagers. The young lady resented my asking for a paper covered straw for my small drink. The paper covered straw is really supposed to be for the jumbo drinks. But I won't suck on a naked straw that has been grazed by the fumbling fingertips of previous patrons who just paid for their ticket with filthy lucre. My personal hobby horse is unwrapped straws. If it weren't for the fact that her dainty fingers had just handled the cup around the rim, I would have skipped the straw entirely. The straw was long enough for me to nozzle someone else's drink if I wanted. As a result, I hardly had to bend my neck at all in order to partake. I had drunk about half and so I left the cup in the holder for them to recover and properly dispose. When the concession young lady appeared with the trash can to clean up afterward, I smiled at her. She kinda' stared for a second and then gave up a smile too. Ok, enough socializing, I'm outta' here.

Driver License Info: If you have a valid, current license for the state you're coming from, you just exchange it for a Texas license. You will need to bring your Texas vehicle registration with you as a form of third ID; if you haven't registered a car (or won't be needing to), then supply a birth certificate. I forget the cost for the license though, I'm sawwy. You'll need to get your vehicle inspected ($12.50) at an authorized auto shop. One of the things about Texas I appreciate - they make sure your car is suitable for the highway (your wipers work, your brake lights work, stuff like that). You'll need to have insurance first. Car insurance is apparently higher than in California, which is saying something.

I really wish there signs of dogs but there aren't... it's a little... odd. So for now, I keep checking cuteoverload-dot-com to ease the withdrawals.

I can't tell if the stares I get are because I'm new, Mexican-ish, my wrinkles are ghastlier than I wish to admit, or I have a hide-n-seek booger. Ok, ok, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

No, no, I know that part of it is because I'm Mexican-ish. Mexicans keep staring at me more openly than the Caucasians. I know they're dying to ask me something. Well, I'm not quite brave enough to start a conversation for no apparently other reason, at least, thus far. Maybe it'll get easier at the football game I find to attend.

The local newspaper is interesting... more on that later. G'night!

Last edited by CA2TX; 09-02-2006 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: my typo

Old 09-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
Hehe, maybe that is why hubby doesn't want to go to Texas. He says, I'll love it there. Hummm, I guess I can't still look but I can't touch. Just kidding.

I like the way you tell your story. It almost makes me feel I am right there with you. Do you write books?
Mighty kind of you. I don't write books but I do write a lot and it amuses a fair number of readers, who have encouraged me to keep it up, so I blame them entirely.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:02 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
CA2TX..i know what yer talking about, about Texas men-they dont grow em like that anywhere else...cant wait to get back there...maybe i will be able to find me a good man..sure aint any here in GA! (and definitely not my type anyway). and yes, nursing is a great field, it is what affords me to move all expenses paid and collect sign on bonuses...and unlimited work available. moving back to Texas this month-yeeaw!

Old 09-03-2006, 03:52 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Default True or False

In my search for places in East Texas I ran acrossed this post from another forum. Now, I don't know if its true or not, that is why I am posting it. These are the areas I found that I wanted to move. So you tell me. Should I and is this true?

CheroKKKee County
|Flag for Review Jun 16, 2006
It's good too see that Smith County is cracking down; why don't they move down south to that corrupt cesspool in CheroKKKee County and start cracking down on the narcotics sold in Precinct 3 while Elmer Beckworth says he's "investigating the misuse of county property..."
Since when is drug dealing out of the Troup city hall, New Summerfield constables office and out of the Rusk jail (all in Cherokee Co.) a "misuse."
Constable Thompson, Pct. 3 and Commissioner Moody Glass, Jr. are just two more examples in Cherokkkee Co. where law enforcement that are buddies with the DA can get away with anything.
Look at what the Alto PD did to a John Brown, a black man in Weeping Mary. They beat the brother down and broke his ankle. Those redknecks were 15 **** miles out their jurisdiction. Of course Beckworth tells the media that Mr. Brown, evaded arrest.
EVADED ARREST with a broken ankle on his front porch.
It's beat the black people down month in that sorry piece of crap county.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default No Dogs in Mt Pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2TX View Post
...I really wish there signs of dogs but there aren't... it's a little... odd...

Hmmmm....have you checked the menus at local restaurants? Look for the K9 special.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:41 PM

[quote=Steel Man;79742][quote=CA2TX;79214]...I really wish there signs of dogs but there aren't... it's a little... odd...
Quote:

Hmmmm....have you checked the menus at local restaurants? Look for the K9 special.
LOL... lol... uh... wait... um, garcon, what does this mean, here on the menu... yeah, that... fried... fried WHAT?! Uh... I'll have a Dr Pepper... to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas