Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM

179 posts, read 199,683 times

Advertisements

If you're in one of the conservative suburbs or rural areas of the state, what do you think of the big socially liberal, accepting-of-gay-lifestyle, multiple religions, cities? Especially Dallas with gay sheriff, 75% voting Kerry, etc? I mean do people in these communities hate these places? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
Variety is the spice of life. If we were all the same it would be very boring. That's what I like about Texas...always a surprise and usually a pleasant one. Tolerance is one of the things that comes with Texas. Keep it a secret. We don't want no more liberals here than we can handle. I like where I live and hope those who live in the big cities of Houston, Dallas and Austin enjoy it too. If they don't, they can leave. I bet they know that too.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM

251 posts, read 710,541 times
I fully support those cities. I think the bigger man is the one who can keep an open mind and change his views and not the one who keeps to the same ideology and refuses to walk a mile in someone elses' shoes.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Well, Shane, I don't think they want to leave. If they don't like it, they'll change it--that's what ticks alot of the conservatives off.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Having spent part of my growing up years in small-town Texas, I don't think anyone really gives a nickel for what you think (liberal or conservative). It is what you actually do that everyone watches. If the Dallas Sheriff keeps his personal life to himself, does a good job, acts professionally and fairly to others then there is no problem. I think persons would find a Sheriff (or pretty much anyone else) who flaunts his/her sexuality in public pretty rotten be they gay or straight.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Growing up in Waco,tx (Supposedly most consevative town ever). Many conservatives were very open-minded and like to experience new things. Waco only gets press because of the bad things,but never the good.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Dallas' Sheriff is totally incompetent. She couldn't pass her law enforcement licensing test. The Dallas country jail has failed inspection after inspection. The fact that she is a lesbian has nothing to do with the hatred of her by the populace. Just one more reason for people to flee to Collin County.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
If you're in one of the conservative suburbs or rural areas of the state, what do you think of the big socially liberal, accepting-of-gay-lifestyle, multiple religions, cities? Especially Dallas with gay sheriff, 75% voting Kerry, etc? I mean do people in these communities hate these places? Just curious.
No. People in rural or conservative outlying areas don't hate big cities for their loose or non-existent morality. Quite the opposite. That's what weekends are for, going to the big city. Frequently to visit a gay son or daughter, partying and/or general debauchery, usually disguised as shopping.

Calid00d... are you like some ferriner or sumpthin?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 PM

179 posts, read 199,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Dallas' Sheriff is totally incompetent. She couldn't pass her law enforcement licensing test. The Dallas country jail has failed inspection after inspection. The fact that she is a lesbian has nothing to do with the hatred of her by the populace. Just one more reason for people to flee to Collin County.
I know it doesn't. Dallas is one of the most pro-gay cities.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post

Considering the # of people who regularly respond in this forum, I can't help but notice how weak the participation in this thread is. It might have to do with politeness, following the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" saying, and not shoving potentially offensive beliefs down throats like the 'tolerant' left. Texas, outside of the large metros, is not known to be a penchant for tolerance and acceptance. Certain parts of this state are literally decades behind the large cities. However, it's probably safe to say this is no different than any other place in small-town America. Even though that setting is not for me, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Different strokes for different folks. Fortunately, there is a place for almost everyone in this state. You just need to find yourself, find an income source, and then find a place that makes you comfortable!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas