Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,032,836 times

Advertisements

Fort Worth has an amazing zoo and art district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gimme a small Texas town over any of those 3 big cities anyday. They all have an air of "I'm the best" which I don't care for.

Glad to see Ft. Worth is not there because I actually like visiting Ft. Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 PM

244 posts, read 805,826 times
All of them if you ask me, but especially Houston. The most "under-hyped" city is definitely Corpus Christi. It is so much better than most Texans give it credit for. I feel like out of staters appreciate it more. Not sure why that is.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
All of them if you ask me, but especially Houston. The most "under-hyped" city is definitely Corpus Christi. It is so much better than most Texans give it credit for. I feel like out of staters appreciate it more. Not sure why that is.
Don't tell anyone about CC or Port A..EVER !!! Send them on down to South Padre.
What beauty is left we need to keep as is.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,043,084 times
Quote:
I don't understand that statement at all. I was born and raised in Corpus and could hardly wait to leave! Very few of my high school friends stayed there. There are NO jobs there. The City recently paid Susser Enterprises several thousand tax dollars to keep a few dozen professional jobs in the city amidst taxpayer disapproval. Whataburger already pulled up stakes and will establish HQ in san antonio. Nearly all my old schoolmates have left for other cities. It is a VERY slow pace that is more suited for retirees than younger folks, imo. I'd have to be paid double salary to live there again, even when you factor in living closer to my parents.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM

199 posts, read 664,746 times
Austin gets my vote.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,872,069 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't understand that statement at all. I was born and raised in Corpus and could hardly wait to leave! Very few of my high school friends stayed there.
I don't understand it either. Exactly how can Houston be overhyped when it rarely gets anything except bad press? And of all the cities in in Texas, it's probably the closest one that would be able to be compared to some of the large, world-class cities around the US and world. The city offerings are amazing, and something that other Texans should be proud of instead of acting like Houston is some pit (not all do this, but too many do).

Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Big deal, so Whataburger pulled out. Life goes on. When the rest of the country is in a recession, Corpus Christi actually has a lot of new developments. One's that eclipse the Whataburger move. Chase power is about to build a $3 billion dollar energy center, a Chinese company is building a $1 billion dollar pipe manufacturing plant, downtown is making a comeback with a new arena, waterfront ballpark and 6 condo projects. Surrounding towns have strong housing markets with new resort developments. All this along with several other great developments. So, it depends on how you look at it. Some people just choose to look at the negative.

There's plenty for young people to do, a good night life for a market it's size, any outdoor activity you can imagine. Corpus Christi has everything anyone could need minus all the hassle and stress of living in larger, over-grown city. All the larger citie's seem to lack any true identity or charm. They're beginning to all look the same with one huge strip center after another. Not sure where the hype is in all that? As someone in my twenties, I'd choose Corpus Christi anyday.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,993,150 times
Quote:
This couldn't be because you live in CC right?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM

188 posts, read 522,010 times
Well, I have to say that San Antonio is the most underrated city in Texas - it's not even mentioned on this list. People tend to talk more about Austin than they do San Antonio, and SA is larger, more populated, and has more amenities (they actually have amusement parks and a sports team for crying out loud). I'm only guessing that Austin gets mentioned over San Antonio because it's not as 'sleepy' (maybe because of it having congress and a prestigious university). So, yes Austin is indeed the most overhyped in Texas.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
This couldn't be because you live in CC right?
Nope. It just happens to be a cool city. That's why I live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas