Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Nope. It just happens to be a cool city. That's why I live there.
You're just too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM

342 posts, read 685,412 times
for the people that says houston is overhyped, yall are crazy. Houston is barely in the media, hardly get eny exploitation and still ranked up there with nyc, la, and chi. those four cities are in an elite class of their own, houston is still growing. so for a city in those ranks and never get mentioned, houston is more underhyped than overhyped. dallas is the most overhyped city in texas.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
for the people that says houston is overhyped, yall are crazy. Houston is barely in the media, hardly get eny exploitation and still ranked up there with nyc, la, and chi. those four cities are in an elite class of their own, houston is still growing. so for a city in those ranks and never get mentioned, houston is more underhyped than overhyped. dallas is the most overhyped city in texas.
Ok I know you're new to this forum and all but you REALLY should stop deluding yourself. Here's a good link listing Global and World cities.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and what U.S. cities are on there? New York, LA, and Chicago. Also San Francisco and Boston. Atlanta is listed as a world city. Guess who's NOT on there? Not Houston nor Dallas. So PLEASE for the sake of all that is sane and right in this world, get over your fascination that Houston is SO above Dallas and whatever other long list of cities you're thinking of.

Here's an older ranking (1998) of world cities.

GaWC - Inventory of World Cities (1998)

Guess who are ranked equally? That's right Houston and Dallas. Neither city really and truly blows the other out of the water in a broad sense. You can spew whatever nonsense you want but don't think I will just sit here and read it without responding. Of the three cities I think Austin is the most overhyped, but you sure are pushing Houston into a new realm over overhyped status.

p.s. the "elite class of their own" touch made me chuckle. At least you spelled "their" correctly.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Guess who are ranked equally? That's right Houston and Dallas. Neither city really and truly blows the other out of the water in a broad sense. You can spew whatever nonsense you want but don't think I will just sit here and read it without responding. Of the three cities I think Austin is the most overhyped, but you sure are pushing Houston into a new realm over overhyped status.
I agree with you.

But I think the difference is that while Dallas (and Austin even more so) have usually gotten good press and mostly positive attention from the national media, Houston never has. Houston has always gotten the opposite, even though it is just as much (if not more IMO) deserving of positive attention. So that's why it's considered underrated as compared to the others.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I agree with you.

But I think the difference is that while Dallas (and Austin even more so) have usually gotten good press and mostly positive attention from the national media, Houston never has. Houston has always gotten the opposite, even though it is just as much (if not more IMO) deserving of positive attention. So that's why it's considered underrated as compared to the others.
And I agree with you definitely. I personally think Houston is a great city and the least appreciated of the 3. I do think the national media tend to make Austin to be out a drop of water in a desert oasis known as Texas (gag me.) Also I think Dallas gets put in a better light more often than Houston, but not so much so like Austin is. I was just saying we shouldn't get too outta hand with our bolstering of our cities. Houston nor Dallas are on the same worldly level as New York, LA, not even Chicago. That's not to say the cities can never be there though.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Since I've only actually "lived" in Dallas I would have to say it is overrated. I've only passed through Austin and Houston and would have NO desire to live in either one. Dallas is okay but I didn't really see why everybody likes it, besides big business. I do miss how busy everything was but it gets old quick.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Dallas has culture and stuff to do unlike the majority of the cities in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Since I've only actually "lived" in Dallas I would have to say it is overrated. I've only passed through Austin and Houston and would have NO desire to live in either one. Dallas is okay but I didn't really see why everybody likes it, besides big business. I do miss how busy everything was but it gets old quick.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and what U.S. cities are on there? New York, LA, and Chicago. Also San Francisco and Boston. Atlanta is listed as a world city. Guess who's NOT on there? Not Houston nor Dallas. So PLEASE for the sake of all that is sane and right in this world, get over your fascination that Houston is SO above Dallas and whatever other long list of cities you're thinking of.
Why do we get shafted like that?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why do we get shafted like that?
Those lists take into various things. GaWC actually has lists which all of those cities are on. With the multitude of global city lists out there. It just depends on what's being measured, which can apparently be anything (the list goes on and on). It can include anything from Fortune 500 Companies to number of people who use public transportation, to number of tourists, to number of mountains per capita, to number of number of restaurants that aren't Burger King, etc. Just about anything is fair game.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
Well, I have to say that San Antonio is the most underrated city in Texas - it's not even mentioned on this list. People tend to talk more about Austin than they do San Antonio, and SA is larger, more populated, and has more amenities (they actually have amusement parks and a sports team for crying out loud). I'm only guessing that Austin gets mentioned over San Antonio because it's not as 'sleepy' (maybe because of it having congress and a prestigious university). So, yes Austin is indeed the most overhyped in Texas.
Well I would have to assume that's b/c there's not much hype to give SA. True SA does have great theme parks , etc. but that's because there's so much excess land that's very cheap. There's not much else to it--although it's improving every year. Austin on the other hand has many activities, shows, etc. going on constantly and imo only of course, I think it's one of the prettiest cities in TX so I think it deserves some of the hype. Dallas and Houston are huge cities with a lot of cultural diversity and amenities so you can't compare them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas