Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times

Advertisements

And the winner is.... Austin. No surprise there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
If I had a time machine, it would be cool to see what Austin was like in years past...
A quaint & quirky college town with several hundred thousand people in it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,629 times
I have to say it's a tie between Austin and Dallas. Truth be told, Dallas is really only known by the Cowboys and that's a fact! I don't know why Real World chose Austin as a place to film a reality show. Beaches (although not the best) are more interesting by far to do a film than hill setting in Austin. Just my opinion.

Moderator cut: quoting mod action

Haven't you figured it out? In the end, this will always end up being between Dallas and Houston, it always has been and always will be. The reason being is because these are the two chief cities in Texas. Nevermind SA's or Austin's explosive growth of cranes, Austin's high rise boom, or ability to get a reality show, Dallas VS Houston debates always seem to surface when talking about Texas. Houston is definitely not underrated in the Hip Hop community, but as far as Tourism or national recognition, it's very undemined.

Houston would be in the game if it marketed itself more. For Houston to claim itself as having the largest visitor's center in the country, it sure does a crappy job of getting the word out!

Last edited by houstoner; 03-20-2009 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,610,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I have to say it's a tie between Austin and Dallas. Truth be told, Dallas is really only known by the Cowboys and that's a fact!

Please give us a link that shows us this is a fact.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM

136 posts, read 726,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
More than 800,000 people outside the city limits of San Antonio, it does have a metro of 2.1 million, and is the main component of a six county corridor of nearly 4 million people.
4 million corridor? Then NYC is at the center of a 100 million person corridor, get real. The urban area of SA is probably is max 1.5 million, Austin UA is only 900,000.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned comment

It's the truth. America loves football and the short lived winning streak the Cowboys had in the mid 90's definitely gave Dallas a boost in recognition. When someone mentions Dallas, they usually associate Dallas and the Cowboys in the same sentence. At least Dallas is known for that. Be happy and move on with your life!!!

Last edited by houstoner; 03-20-2009 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you are referring to has been deleted

Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,534,336 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned comment America loves football and the short lived winning streak the Cowboys had in the mid 90's definitely gave Dallas a boost in recognition. When someone mentions Dallas, they usually associate Dallas and the Cowboys in the same sentence. At least Dallas is known for that. Be happy and move on with your life!!!
The Cowboys are not the only reason that Dallas is recognized across the country and the globe. People move here for great jobs and a reasonable cost of living. There are many great things and some undesirable things about Dallas...all in all, the DFW area is great...even though it gets quite hot in the Summertime.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by houstoner; 03-20-2009 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: orphaned/personal attack

Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
The Cowboys are not the only reason that Dallas is recognized across the country and the globe. People move here for great jobs and a reasonable cost of living. There are many great things and some undesirable things about Dallas...all in all, the DFW area is great...even though it gets quite hot in the Summertime.

The part I highlighted represents your ignorance, maybe you only associate Dallas with the Cowboys, but people who don't have their head buried where the sun doesn't shine tend not to do so.
I can appreciate your loyalty but Dallas was known to be the host to the coined "America's Football Team". Even if that's not the only reason Dallas is more recognizable across the nation, it is the primary reason. Emmett Smith's yardage and performances did alot for the team and Dallas. Not to mention, he was the only running back to win a Superbowl Championship. That's a history marker!

I know that Dallas has alot of great things going for it such as its amentities and the things you mentioned, but so does Austin, S/A, and Houston. The fact still remains is that Dallas is usually the first place people think of when they think "Texas". It's mainly because of the football hype and its former cowboy attitude its been trying to shake off for years.

De-nile my friend ain't just a river in Egypt.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 03-19-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM

136 posts, read 726,668 times
Quote:
I can appreciate your loyalty but Dallas was known to be the host to the coined "America's Football Team". Even if that's not the only reason Dallas is more recognizable across the nation, it is the primary reason. Emmett Smith's yardage and performances did alot for the team and Dallas. Not to mention, he was the only running back to win a Superbowl Championship. That's a history marker!

I know that Dallas has alot of great things going for it such as its amentities and the things you mentioned, but so does Austin, S/A, and Houston. The fact still remains is that Dallas is usually the first place people think of when they think "Texas". It's mainly because of the football hype and its former cowboy attitude its been trying to shake off for years.

De-nile my friend ain't just a river in Egypt.
I would propose that its actually the fact that Dallas is one of the top business centers in the country that it is so well renowned and that it is because there are so many business people that there are so many sports teams located here. DFW is all about business. Sports teams are just stuff for people to do in there free time, entertainment and nothing more.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I would propose that its actually the fact that Dallas is one of the top business centers in the country that it is so well renowned and that it is because there are so many business people that there are so many sports teams located here. DFW is all about business. Sports teams are just stuff for people to do in there free time, entertainment and nothing more.
Houston has more Fortune companies and visitors/conventions than Dallas though, so its more than just business. The Cowboys + TV Show Dallas are reasons why Dallas is more popular. The Cowboys are the first thing that many think about when you say Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas