Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM

56 posts, read 293,850 times

Advertisements

Specifically, in the Longview/Tyler area (Kilgore).

I am going to be moving there from Maryland (Annapolis) in the next couiple months (job-related), and I am very excited. However, I am someone who always wants both sides of the story. So, someone try to scare me off.

Tell me, why shouldn't I move to East Texas?

To give you a little background:

Though I tend towards conservative values myself, I'm not one to impose my perspective on others. Live and let live, I say. Moderate with a Libertarian streak.

I am married with 4 kids. I lived the jet-set life in my younger days, so I'm not looking for a big-time club scene. If I want to do that, I know Dallas is a two-hour drive away. I'm just looking for a laid-back and friendly place, where I can raise my kids without being charged egregious taxes and or deal with an excessive cost of living (see: the East Coast).

So come on, try to abate my enthusiasm, and tell me why I shouldn't move to East Texas and/or Kilgore specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,031 times
Welcome to East Texas!!!! We moved here from the DFW area a little over a year ago and love it! What area are you moving to? We live in the Lindale area which is north of Tyler on the I20 and Hwy 69 intersection. We are only 1 hr 5 minutes from the eastern suburbs of Dallas. The Lindale ISD is wonderful and the only thing we miss is Super Target. LOL!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Kilgore? Well let's see...If you have daughters, they will grow up and unless you push them to excell, their goal in life will be to get married young as opposed to going to college (I grew up a few towns over, I know...lucky I had a pushy,Yankee mom). Your sons will become football fanatics. Unless you like out-of-doors, you may get bored silly as the cultural opportunities i.e. museums and similar are in Dallas. Sorry, all out of ideas.

On the other hand, east Texas is some beautiful country with much to recommend it. Make sure you check out the many lakes in the area for some great fishing and watersports. Get in some good gardening time...home grown is great. Go to the many festivals. See Marshall when it is all lit up for Christmas. Visit Canton Trade days. See the nature center at Caddo Lake. Take a tour of Jefferson. If you get some land...raise a few critters of your choice.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
East Texas is great. Shreveport's cool. Caddo Lake is mystical.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
I don't really think East Texas is a great place to raise a family. The only people that would be happy in East Texas are those that are retired.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't really think East Texas is a great place to raise a family. The only people that would be happy in East Texas are those that are retired.
Not true at all.

East Texas is one of the top, if not THE best place in Texas to raise a family. Low crime, cheap cost of living, great schools...what more can you ask for?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:32 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not true at all.

East Texas is one of the top, if not THE best place in Texas to raise a family. Low crime, cheap cost of living, great schools...what more can you ask for?
Well, you can ask that there not be so many drugs running around. The drug problem in the schools equals that of your average city, so escaping to the country doesn't help there (no illusions here, just reality). There are also myriads of drug labs (mostly meth) hidden back in the woods. The illegal drug manufacturers blow up trailers on an almost regular basis near our place outside of Longview and we can smell the stuff being cooked up every so often when the wind is right. That problem will hopefully be solved in the not too distant future.
I've also noted that the same, if not more, kids seem to die in auto accidents (many including alcohol) than in the city.

Still not saying it is a bad place to live (I personally love the area) but it is not perfect. Still has some of the same issues as everyone else.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,031 times
There is no place on earth that is perfect. But I will tell you this...we moved from a high economic area of north Texas and the pressure my children experienced with the pressure to only buy name brands, brand new cars, even church outings cost us 50.00 a night. (we were as guilty as the next person) Here we have very little pressure when it comes to these problems. I'm not saying it doesn't exist ...but it's a lot less. Social entertainment here is going out to someone's property and doing silly outdoor things....social entertainment where we came from was a night at the Mavericks or Dallas Stars game to the tune of 100.00. Our kids love it here.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Well, you can ask that there not be so many drugs running around. The drug problem in the schools equals that of your average city, so escaping to the country doesn't help there (no illusions here, just reality). There are also myriads of drug labs (mostly meth) hidden back in the woods. The illegal drug manufacturers blow up trailers on an almost regular basis near our place outside of Longview and we can smell the stuff being cooked up every so often when the wind is right. That problem will hopefully be solved in the not too distant future.
I've also noted that the same, if not more, kids seem to die in auto accidents (many including alcohol) than in the city.

Still not saying it is a bad place to live (I personally love the area) but it is not perfect. Still has some of the same issues as everyone else.
No place is perfect. You can't escape the peer pressure of drugs no matter where you live as a young person. I do however think & hope by your early 20's you should be able to make rational decisions in life. I grew up in Tyler & drugs were all around me, but that didn't mean I had to do them. Did I do some, YES. Did I experiment with "hard" drugs, NO.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
What do you base your opinion "on"? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas