Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. irizarry: la vuelta 2 View Post
A lot of you Texan employers are lividly scared of the native NY'er accent. A lot of you guys know that New Yorkers are about money and would bring prosperity and a higher capital gain, but nooooooooooooo - a lot of Texan employers feel threatened.

Even when I have tried to apply to some IT companies based out of DFW and Houston metro area that are predominantly South Asian (i.e. Indians) and when they hear the accent, they blatantly ignore not returning my calls.

If Texans weren't go gung-ho about keeping it "Southern", then maybe Texas would expand EVEN more instead of relying on its native Texans to keep Texasgoing - even though it's one of the most prosperous states in the Union.

I thought Americans were capitalist; I guess Texans aren't American then.

See, up in NY, they don't care if you are a k*ke, a sp*c or a n**ger, as long as you can bust your ass and do the job and deliver results even if you embellished your own resume - as long as you interviewed outstandingly and deliver results on the job, then you will make a lot of money.

How does TX have the best economy statewise in the nation yet they are scared of go-for-the-gusto New Yorkers will an excellent job track record??

Oh wait, who's quarterbacking the economy of TX? Bush and Dick "Head" Cheney de Haliburton. If it weren't for them, TX would probably just be as sucky as most other states in this recession right now.

Jealous? How's that NY economy working out for you? You lost me on half of what you wrote. Regarding Texas being capitalists, have you checked the tax structure of NY vs Texas? I think you have it backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 AM

19 posts, read 39,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
No, I don't think it's because they hate NY'er's. The quality of life and speed of life are completely different in the south than it is up North. It's a more relaxed pace...not GO GO GO all the time. I think Southerners probably work as hard as Northerners, but they don't have to do it for 16 hrs a day to keep competitive with their coworkers or competition.

Down South they don't care what color you are either for the same reasons. Do you work hard? Are you trustworthy?

You sound like my sister regarding the South Asians. She lives and works in Dallas and she also seems to think that they are very "cliquish" when it comes to hiring people or how they interact with coworkers, among other things. I would say that maybe you guys are being a little paranoid, but I've actually heard lots of people say this, so it may have some grain of truth to it. If it does, it seems like maybe they could learn a thing or two if they keep relocating their companies to the US.

Texas has a better economy because we DO have lots of go getters here. It's not a huge welfare state with lots and lots of government programs, etc...

I appreciate your decent response here. It was logical although I agreed with most of it. I'm glad that you see that there is at least some truth to what I'm saying about them.

What nationality is your sister by the way?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_D_Robb View Post
well, accents, twangs, whatever. I personally enjoy the sound of America.
I like that.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
I think most southerners do not like the aggressive nature that comes with Northeners. I have lived both up North and in the South and out West and there is a difference. Yes up North one with a southern drawl is looked down upon. They are revered as unintelligent. It may not be the case, but most people from the North have that view. I do not have an accent, I am originally from the midwest. Although some southeners believe I have a New York accent and attitude. I believe that is said because Yes NYers are more aggressive and confident than those coming from the south. When I fly up North coming from the South I have to remind myself where I am because up North no one is going to open the door or hold an elevator for you. Where as what I have seen in Texas, you are greeted with a nod or smile, doors are held for you and they actually start up conversations. In the north it is hustle and bustle and you keep to yourself. When my In laws moved to Fla from NY they couldn't understand why everyone in the neighborhood was so nice and waved at at them. Being friendly was a culture shock to them. I thought that was sad,but that is how things are in the big city.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
I appreciate your decent response here. It was logical although I agreed with most of it. I'm glad that you see that there is at least some truth to what I'm saying about them.

What nationality is your sister by the way?
She's a white girl and married to a guy from NY, actually She's in cancer research, I think through UT, or used to be with UT. She works with the VA Hospital right now and they are running trials for some new treatments. Her coworkers and bosses are largely Asian (from several different countries) and she says she notices a sort of discrimination in her field.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
I love southern accents. I love Louisiana the best (it's so different), then TX and GA. I do not like upper east coast accents (NY, ME, NJ...etc), at all..
Whe iw as in the service guys use to paractice trying to get a Savannah GA accent or one from south carolina .They got all the girls.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
This thread was intriguing to me, even though it's kind of old, because I wondered what kind of stupid you had to be to waltz into a Texas forum and insult Texans in every concievable way. Then I read all of the OP's past posts. Wow. Misery loves company, I guess.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 03-20-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
It was logical although I agreed with most of it.
No offense intended, but that has to be one of the funniest sentences I've ever seen.

I like all the accents. They make speech interesting.

If you've ever driven in North Dallas, it isn't all 'sleepy time down South' there. It's go,go,go..."Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way". If NY is as it is said to be, i would think a New Yorker would feel at home there!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
Well Haw y'all! Awe think awe got somethin ma awe. Translation: I think I got something in my eye.
I have lived in TX three years now and this is by far the friendliest place I have ever lived. I find the Texas accent endearing.
~K~

Old 03-20-2010, 03:53 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
No offense intended, but that has to be one of the funniest sentences I've ever seen.

I like all the accents. They make speech interesting.

If you've ever driven in North Dallas, it isn't all 'sleepy time down South' there. It's go,go,go..."Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way". If NY is as it is said to be, i would think a New Yorker would feel at home there!
LOL LOVE that line, Catman (and I hadn't thought about that song in years...wasn't it Louis Armstrong...??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas