Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,419,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
here you go again. seem awful defensive. chip on your shoulder? everyone has a right to an opinion. it doesnt mean that the poster is racist.....
That's funny... Because the rudest people that I have ever met are all white. They seem to be all the cocky and stuck up ones who think they are better than everyone else and if something ain't the way they like it its ghetto or "ew". Then they act like they are too good for anyone who ain't as rich as them. At least these Mexican nationals as you say work hard and appreciate what they have and have pride in themselves.They are the hardest working, kindes't people I have ever met.

I really don't have any idea on how u get that they are the rudes't people in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM

244 posts, read 805,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
That's funny... Because the rudest people that I have ever met are all white. They seem to be all the cocky and stuck up ones who think they are better than everyone else and if something ain't the way they like it its ghetto or "ew". Then they act like they are too good for anyone who ain't as rich as them. At least these Mexican nationals as you say work hard and appreciate what they have and have pride in themselves.They are the hardest working, kindes't people I have ever met.

I really don't have any idea on how u get that they are the rudes't people in North America.
Talk about racist...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,419,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Talk about racist...
That is not racist at all. I'm just saying how I feel. Its just anybody that I have ever really noticed being rude are really rich white people. I am not talking about whites in general. My mom is white. She is 100% German.

I am just saying, you don't see Mexican/Hispanic people being all stuck up and rude nearly as much as you do white people. But I think that is just because whites, on average, make a higher income than minorities.

Maybe I meant to say rich people, not white people.

But really though, saying Mexican nationals and hispanics are rude people is rediculous.

They are the kindest, hardest working, and most respectful individuals out there.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM

170 posts, read 599,154 times
So what are we to conclude? That making sweeping generalizations about Mexicans or whites is unreasonable, but calling all "rich" people stuck up is okay?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,586,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
You racist?
You ever been to a mall in the Valley? Obviously not! How about I go to your backyard, throw boxes in it, crash into your car and say "Too bad, I have no insurance", make snide comments about your family and see what YOU think about these people. I've heard nationals say in Spanish (I am a Spanish speaking Anglo married to a dark Valley native) "Why is this white guy married to garbage? What is he thinking?" as they passed by me, my wife and my daughter. And I've heard much worse. You want racist? Talk to a Mexican National. Are they all bad? Of course not. But the ones that are bad are the worst of the worst. Call me sensitive, but when somebody calls your daughter (In Spanish of course) a piece of mestizo **** to your face among many other things, one may not look at your group too favorably. Then again, dark on light Mexican on Mexican racism is something that exists in the Valley but is rarely spoken about.

Last edited by crbcrbrgv; 12-03-2008 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
starts slow applause
For good grammar?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,031,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You ever been to a mall in the Valley? Obviously not! How about I go to your backyard, throw boxes in it, crash into your car and say "Too bad, I have no insurance", make snide comments about your family and see what YOU think about these people. I've heard nationals say in Spanish (I am a Spanish speaking Anglo married to a dark Valley native) "Why is this white guy married to garbage? What is he thinking?" as they passed by me, my wife and my daughter. And I've heard much worse. You want racist? Talk to a Mexican National. Are they all bad? Of course not. But the ones that are bad are the worst of the worst. Call me sensitive, but when somebody calls your daughter (In Spanish of course) a piece of mestizo **** to your face among many other things, one may not look at your group too favorably. Then again, dark on light Mexican on Mexican racism is something that exists in the Valley but is rarely spoken about.
Very, very true. The Mexican Nationals were polite to me, a white person, but they consistently treated the darker-skinned Mexican-Americans like dirt. It was horrible.

And, as you said, there was prejudice within the Mexican-American community, too -- my light-skinned students would call the darker-skinned ones "negros" when they thought I wasn't listening. I had long talks with them about that but they didn't see the problem, sigh.

The Mexican Nationals reminded me of the French Canadians who'd cross the other border to shop. Same rudeness and arrogance.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM

195 posts, read 658,683 times
Good luck McAllen! I'm glad the city is aiming to be like a great TEXAS city rather than some sorry Californian city or something! Big Reg

Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Very, very true. The Mexican Nationals were polite to me, a white person, but they consistently treated the darker-skinned Mexican-Americans like dirt. It was horrible.

And, as you said, there was prejudice within the Mexican-American community, too -- my light-skinned students would call the darker-skinned ones "negros" when they thought I wasn't listening. I had long talks with them about that but they didn't see the problem, sigh.

The Mexican Nationals reminded me of the French Canadians who'd cross the other border to shop. Same rudeness and arrogance.
Thanks for the backup, teatime. I'm from Chicago originally and have quite a different perspective. I'm sorry, but I think the average outsider sees it this way. Don't you people realize that in the Valley, lighter people live in McAllen and Mission while the darker people live in Elsa and Donna? And even though crime is fairly evenly spread throughout the Valley, Donna gets blamed for everything. I remember when I lived in the Valley, there was a murder at 1015 and mile 12. The news reported this as "Near Donna." Valleyites all know that Weslaco is a little more affluent (and much whiter) than Donna. For the news to report this crime, which occurred about 2 miles from the city limits of Weslaco but a full 7 miles from Donna just shows the prejudice that still endures in the Valley.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,062,702 times
Even Euros hate Mexican National attitudes and racism. I wonder what they will say when Obama goes South of the Border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas