Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 PM

384 posts, read 1,414,545 times

Advertisements

does mcallen have a music scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:56 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,061,456 times
You mean McAllen wants to be the New New Orleans for clubbing

Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 AM

mccallen doesnt have a music scene.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM

78 posts, read 203,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
mccallen doesnt have a music scene.
Of course there is a music scene.... TEJANO!

LOL

McAllen doesn't have to be like New Orleans or Austin. There are other arts in the works. Filming is growing pretty fast. If I'm not mistaken, parts of Twilight was filmed in Brownsville, TX. WOOHOO Valley! Also got the Art Walk that is near completion off of Main Street and Harvey.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:14 PM

well i hope it works out.

Last edited by jabbit; 12-27-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 11:12 PM

78 posts, read 203,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
well i hope it works out.
Thanks, jabbit! I hope so too.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 31,444 times
Default Love mcallen and am Homesick!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
Of course there is a music scene.... TEJANO!

LOL

McAllen doesn't have to be like New Orleans or Austin. There are other arts in the works. Filming is growing pretty fast. If I'm not mistaken, parts of Twilight was filmed in Brownsville, TX. WOOHOO Valley! Also got the Art Walk that is near completion off of Main Street and Harvey.
Wow, I didn't know this fact about filming part of Twilight. Although the Director of Twilight is a '75 Graduate from Mcallen High School :]

I am deeply in love with the valley! Just living in Austin is completely different from living in Mcallen. I love how mcallen is a bustling progressive city. The education in Mcallen is subpar (I used to work for the school district)

I too have been a victim of mexican on mexican racism. I don't speak spanish fluently only because I'm fluent in American Sign Language and English and have been told off by a spanish speaking minimum wage worker making tacos from Stripes for NOT knowing proper spanish!

I also worked retail at La Plaza Mall (macy's and Sharper image) in Mcallen and most arrogant shoppers were the Mexican Nationals.

I am proud of the moving scene of Art walk. I first attended 3 years ago, would attend every month, and just recently attended in january and it was so packed!! I didn't get to get the full art walk experience of before but at least people are being exposed to art and culture!!

Last but not least, I HAD to move out of the valley to finish my college education. The only college in the valley that offered my major was UTPA. Now, UTPA is becoming very elitist in who they're accepting in their college programs.....I didn't get accepted into their program but NOW moved from the valley to attend a tier 1- division-1 private university that is nationally ranked!!!!

I didn't want to move from Mcallen and have plans to move back to the valley as soon as I graduate. I am too much in love with the valley.

Every City has its pros and cons, that's for sure.
It is true though, the only jobs that are easy to get in the valley are either in the Medical or Education field. Alot of times it is who you know in order to acquire a job.

But I have seen increase in diversity and selection of ethnic restaurants in mcallen along with things to do in mcallen!

I even posted something on a website awhile back

People say there isnt' much to do in the valley but I say they're wrong!

I may be biased but after living in the valley most of my life I have seen it grow before my very own eyes!

Also, seeing the valley from a plane is a visual beauty!

Last edited by HEARTnRGV; 02-09-2009 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,418,371 times
the mcallen area music scene is probably the best in the valley at the moment. brownsville's died a couple of years ago.

at around the same time brownsville's scene died, matamoros' and reynosa's scenes died too, and they were the best in the area.

The rude mexicans are fresas, the same way rude white people tend to be wealthy upper class folks like wasps.

oh and the greater brownsville area > the mcallen/edinburg/mission/psja area

Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 19,593 times
Within the next 15 years, McAllen should reach the 250,000-500,000 population mark. This is indeed possible since a large surge of nationals from northern areas within the U.S. are finding extremely affordable living here in the McAllen Metropolitan area. McAllen is also experiencing a growth in its African-American population, contingent of the Katrina Hurricane refugees. The City of McAllen is aldo in the works to develop, but moreover expand, the "downtown" are of town in order to accomodate and facilitate the construction of skyscrapers in the downtown area-banks and corporate companies need the ample amount of land for the towers they already plan to build HERE IN MCALLEN! Combine the 17th Street development project, which is already renewing the image of downtown by luring in a higher-class of clubers, ofeering them high-end clubs, restaurants, pubs, cafes, and entertainment...McAllen wants to be in direct competition with Austin's 6th Street. The Art District is also growing and will allow for the introduction of a more cultured and refined populace, residing here in McAllen. Take also the Boeye Reservoir which is to be drained soon in order to allow for the development of a New York mimic "Central Park", surrounded by upper-crust hotels, restaurants, science museums, a planetarium, and the Valley's first IMAX theater. Not to forget the rumored "Riverwalk" the city of McAllen intends to place stretching from the "Central Park" into Downtown (17th Street and the Art District). McAllen also plans on expanding its airport to meet the demand set forth by the region. Clearly and evidently, the City of McAllen (and the whole Rio Grande Valley...) is experiencing a major boom in growth, development, and planning, despite the recent recession. McAllen will become a major city in the United States and also a major export/import epicenter at a worlwide level, connecting Europe, Africa, Asia, and South America to McAllen, Mexico, and the whole United States. McAllen will soon be, in essence, the San Fransisco or Miami of the Southwestern United States; just wait and see!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,418,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coroller70 View Post
Within the next 15 years, McAllen should reach the 250,000-500,000 population mark. This is indeed possible since a large surge of nationals from northern areas within the U.S. are finding extremely affordable living here in the McAllen Metropolitan area. McAllen is also experiencing a growth in its African-American population, contingent of the Katrina Hurricane refugees. The City of McAllen is aldo in the works to develop, but moreover expand, the "downtown" are of town in order to accomodate and facilitate the construction of skyscrapers in the downtown area-banks and corporate companies need the ample amount of land for the towers they already plan to build HERE IN MCALLEN! Combine the 17th Street development project, which is already renewing the image of downtown by luring in a higher-class of clubers, ofeering them high-end clubs, restaurants, pubs, cafes, and entertainment...McAllen wants to be in direct competition with Austin's 6th Street. The Art District is also growing and will allow for the introduction of a more cultured and refined populace, residing here in McAllen. Take also the Boeye Reservoir which is to be drained soon in order to allow for the development of a New York mimic "Central Park", surrounded by upper-crust hotels, restaurants, science museums, a planetarium, and the Valley's first IMAX theater. Not to forget the rumored "Riverwalk" the city of McAllen intends to place stretching from the "Central Park" into Downtown (17th Street and the Art District). McAllen also plans on expanding its airport to meet the demand set forth by the region. Clearly and evidently, the City of McAllen (and the whole Rio Grande Valley...) is experiencing a major boom in growth, development, and planning, despite the recent recession. McAllen will become a major city in the United States and also a major export/import epicenter at a worlwide level, connecting Europe, Africa, Asia, and South America to McAllen, Mexico, and the whole United States. McAllen will soon be, in essence, the San Fransisco or Miami of the Southwestern United States; just wait and see!
Wow, is all this really true or just a breath of hot air? If McAllen is really planning all of this then kuddos to them! I wouldn't be surprised. McAllen is growing at such an astonishing rate, especially for south Texas. McAllen puts Corpus to shame now.

BTW, do you have any links about these plans and developments coroller? I would love to read up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas