Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

Just wondering if anyone has a good/poignant story to share about a Christmas when loved ones were there...maybe even if wasn't really expected...?

OR...if you got home for a Christmas when it was uncertain if you could actually make it? Memories from those who honored our country by serving are for sure of particular note...

I will always remember the one my grandfather used to tell about when he and all his brothers happened to make it home in time for the Christmas of 1945. They were all officially still in the service (World War II) but it worked out they all got to spend that one with their family. What was kinda funny about it was that their mother (my great-grandmother) was a very "hard-shell" Southern Baptist and thought drinking was about the worst thing in the world. It was a big extended family reunion and he said he and his brothers (and some brother-in-laws, many of whom who were also home from the war) slipped outside to partake a bit.

They were all having a jolly good time when "granny" (which is what I used to call her) came outside un-noticed. One of them noticed her and tried to hide the bottle, while the rest tried to get sober and pretend they had no part of it.

She just said something like, "Never mind, boys...I'm just happy the Good Lord saw fit to bring all y'all home for Christmas. So come back into the house and bring the "cough medicine" in with you...THIS time."

While you all think over your own to share, enjoy this old "commercial" jingle. Some of you may remember it...

Merry Christmas...y'all!

YouTube - Miller Christmas (1981)

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-20-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 09:55 PM

Well apparently THIS thead has gone over like a lead balloon! *rueful grin*

Oh well, I DO have what I think might be a good poll/thread in mind after Christmas, that might work better. Involves black-eyed peas!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:37 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Hey REB,

Well this is not what your looking for.. but I will tell ya how we started on our Country Christmas Tradition.

For years now my mom and aunt host Thanksgiving, so we take on Christmas. My mom and aunt serve turkey for thanks giving and with Christmas so close having Turkey again is a bit much for us. So our answer was to look for a meat of a different type. Yes we could of had Ham, or duck, But we choose to go to our Texas roots and start serving Brisket. There is nothing more Texas than Brisket.. with it we serve Cheesy Ranch Beans, Pineapple Coleslaw, Cornbread, Mashed Potatoes with the skins still on and Ranch Dressing in the mashing process, Corn on the cob, and Dinner rolls or Pumpkin bread, and a nice tossed side salad, For desert we have Pecan Pie, or Peppermint Brownies, Pumpkin Turtle Cheesecake with ice cream.

All that stuff is made fresh. So every year now for the last 5 or more years we have hosted Christmas Dinner done on Christmas Day. Also every year we set up the mom and aunts house with Decoration, and we are the only ones on our street to decorate as well. Kinda funny considering I am not Christian, nor is the wife. Were Pagan. We buy Presents for the family, and not so much for individuals. Or we craft stuff, make what we give. I am a novice carpenter, last year I made a chinese checkers board, the year before that a game board for games like chess, checkers, sorry as well as a few brain games as well as all the pieces.

Oh another Tradition is the 25 day box calendar.

New Years you have to have Black Eyed Peas.. have too.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well apparently THIS thead has gone over like a lead balloon! *rueful grin*

Oh well, I DO have what I think might be a good poll/thread in mind after Christmas, that might work better. Involves black-eyed peas!
Well, you've just told a funny story that is hard to match, LOL!!!

I for one am not looking forward to a 400 mile drive...I'm glad I only do it once a year. This will be my second long drive.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
We'll be here in Texas for Christmas, first at my sisters and then my husband's family in Houston. My sister is tired of turkey, so this time we're having Italian food. My husband's BIL is grilling Cornish Hens. Last year it was steak and shrimp. I love Muhnays idea of handmade gifts and am intrigued by the 25 day box calendar. What does it look like?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,441 times
I want to be home for a Texas Christmas! Does that count?????

Muhnay - you made my mouth water talking about Brisket! Here in Oregon, you just don't find a decent brisket or any bbq for that matter. When you do find it - well let's just say that it ain't Texas BBQ by any stretch of the imagination!

I'll be thinking about ya'll on Christmas while I am dreaming of a Texas Christmas!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Hey REB,

Well this is not what your looking for.. but I will tell ya how we started on our Country Christmas Tradition.

For years now my mom and aunt host Thanksgiving, so we take on Christmas. My mom and aunt serve turkey for thanks giving and with Christmas so close having Turkey again is a bit much for us. So our answer was to look for a meat of a different type. Yes we could of had Ham, or duck, But we choose to go to our Texas roots and start serving Brisket. There is nothing more Texas than Brisket.. with it we serve Cheesy Ranch Beans, Pineapple Coleslaw, Cornbread, Mashed Potatoes with the skins still on and Ranch Dressing in the mashing process, Corn on the cob, and Dinner rolls or Pumpkin bread, and a nice tossed side salad, For desert we have Pecan Pie, or Peppermint Brownies, Pumpkin Turtle Cheesecake with ice cream.

All that stuff is made fresh. So every year now for the last 5 or more years we have hosted Christmas Dinner done on Christmas Day. Also every year we set up the mom and aunts house with Decoration, and we are the only ones on our street to decorate as well. Kinda funny considering I am not Christian, nor is the wife. Were Pagan. We buy Presents for the family, and not so much for individuals. Or we craft stuff, make what we give. I am a novice carpenter, last year I made a chinese checkers board, the year before that a game board for games like chess, checkers, sorry as well as a few brain games as well as all the pieces.

Oh another Tradition is the 25 day box calendar.

New Years you have to have Black Eyed Peas.. have too.
That's a great story, Muhnay! And of course you are spot-on about the black-eyed peas on New Years Day!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I love Muhnays idea of handmade gifts and am intrigued by the 25 day box calendar. What does it look like?
Ours looks something like this one.

http://www.bubblyfunk.co.uk/images/a...al%20Image.jpg

But you can get them in stores too.. look for a Christmas 25 day Advent Calender.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM

52,698 posts, read 47,975,215 times
I wish I had a story for you, but Christmases just haven't had anything stand out through the years. Sorry, folks. Not even Rotten Ralph showed up on my past Christmases, or we would have had a huge event.

So, on Wednesday night, I'm celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve night with my mom. She'll have a prime rib roast in the oven. It will just be the two of us, and we'll be opening a few presents. We'll just make it happen.

And, hopefully, all of you will have something to celebrate during this holiday season.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Aww, I like that. I think I'll have to find one.

Last year, my niece and my daughter said something funny. I don't remember what I was doing, but I noticed them sitting in front of the fireplace. First they'd look at the grate. Then they'd look up into the flue and then look down again. They did this for a few minutes without saying anything. Well, this got me tickled a little so I asked what they were doing. Just as innocent as they could be, they said "How does Santa come down the chimney without burning his butt on the fire and poking himself on the pointy things?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas