Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texans? Do You Cook/Eat Black-eyed Peas On New Years Day?
Native Texan -- Yes 34 51.52%
Native Texan -- No 11 16.67%
Non-Native Texan (Southern U.S) -- Yes 8 12.12%
Non-Native Texan (Southern U.S.) -- No 3 4.55%
Non-Native Texan (NE, Midwest or far West) -- Yes 4 6.06%
Non-Native Texan (NE, Midwest or far West) -- No 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times

Advertisements

It's the only time of the year I will actually eat them.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Don't know about the story - I wasn't born until 1949. However, I do know that my mother (who was born WAY before 1947) served black-eyed peas every New Year's and said it was a tradition for good luck that she remembered back to the Depression. So I'm stuck between believing Charlie Eckhardt and believing my deceased mother. Hmmmmm.

We have them cooked with either salt joe, bacon, or ham, depending on what's handy, cornbread, and greens.

Lived in Henderson County for a while, by the way. When I lived there in the early 1960's, it was STILL oil and farming and farming and oil.
I am kinda curious about what the Henderson county newspapers of the day might say about it...?

Regardless though, I have to lean toward believing what the old folks and kin say. And if they remember it before 1947? Then what is a mere newspaper article compared to those recollections?

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-26-2008 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 04:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
I don't know, I wasn't paying attention to the newspaper. I was paying more attention to the folks we hung out with, and since I was the Methodist preacher's kid in Athens, that was a fair cross-section.

There were some interesting characters there. Mostly in the oil bidness, either new or old. (One great old grandfather guy that my Daddy and I used to go fishing with - I was impressed by him because he had bass in his lake on his farm - was one Clint Murchison, Sr. - think Texas Oil Mafia.) Others were farmers - some very successful, some not so much. There were people in other professions, of course, but those were the primary ones.

The Black Eyed Pea Festival was a big deal, then, as was the Old Fiddler's Festival every year.

The family farm, though, was in Rusk County. More farming and oil country, just a different kind of farming.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:24 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,065 times
I don't normally eat them on new year's day, but I do throughout the year. After reading this thread, I do believe I'm going to the store tomorrow and buying the ingredients for the peas and cornbread.

I like mine with bacon or sausage, (although I've used beef before too) green pepper, and onions. I've gotten very hungry in the last few minutes, and that sounds so good. I doubt I'll wait for January 1 to cook them though.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't normally eat them on new year's day, but I do throughout the year. After reading this thread, I do believe I'm going to the store tomorrow and buying the ingredients for the peas and cornbread.

I like mine with bacon or sausage, (although I've used beef before too) green pepper, and onions. I've gotten very hungry in the last few minutes, and that sounds so good. I doubt I'll wait for January 1 to cook them though.
Don't forget to get fresh if at all possible, CC! But I am sure you know that already!

Well, everyone have a good evening! Outta here for now. My kids are down and this is the very first time I have been able to spend with my first grandson (4 months old). He is a little too young to have any this year, but next year, I hope to be able to feed my lil' buddy some ol' fashioned country cookin' jess like his granmaws used to make!

G'night y'all...and keep those recipes coming!

Old 12-26-2008, 04:59 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,903 times
Cool Turnip greens................

I love those turnip greens with small turnips still attached!!! Or a least a few chunks of turnips in there!!! Also I like mustard, collard or even chard. With a shaker of pepper sauce (the kind with hot peppers in vinegar).
When you talk about cabbage I have to have corned beef!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:20 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Don't forget to get fresh if at all possible, CC! But I am sure you know that already!

Well, everyone have a good evening! Outta here for now. My kids are down and this is the very first time I have been able to spend with my first grandson (4 months old). He is a little too young to have any this year, but next year, I hope to be able to feed my lil' buddy some ol' fashioned country cookin' jess like his granmaws used to make!

G'night y'all...and keep those recipes coming!
Actually, I don't buy fresh. Silly question, but do all markets sell them? I've never seen them. I don't buy canned but bagged which, I suppose, is better than canned. I've so much to learn. I can't believe I don't know that and I've lived here for so very long.

I remember when we first moved here from the big city in another state and my daughter, five at the time, went to kindergarten with a little boy whose dad was a peanut farmer. My sweet and too cute little one asked him where the peanut trees are. Jon has joked with her all her life about that.

How cool that you have a little grandson. I can only imagine how much fun you two will have as the years go by, and they go by way too quickly.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:51 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,664 times
If we don't go to Texas for Christmas my Mom will send a can or two for us to enjoy on New Years Day. Hard to find them here in California.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,903 times
Cool Canned?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
If we don't go to Texas for Christmas my Mom will send a can or two for us to enjoy on New Years Day. Hard to find them here in California.
Unless your Mom canned them... Get a ROPE!!!! LOL

Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Unless your Mom canned them... Get a ROPE!!!! LOL
Yes in a can. Didn't know they came any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas