Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
If you dont like seeing it then I suggest you support politicians who offer real solutions for the homeless and for the mentally challenged. Aka anyone but a Republican.
That voting logic would suggest San Francisco should be void of any homeless problems, yet it is one of the worst cities in the entire country for homeless issues.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled_Hen View Post
Ditto
A friend of my husband, a cop who refuses to ever set food in Austin again, saw a bearded transvestite prostitute standing on a corner wearing a gigantic overstuffed bra over his dress. The place is ridiculous. I don't recommend it for anyone who has values or is wanting to raise a family.

That's just Leslie. He runs for mayor every year. He's a bit of a local celebrity.

Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-27-2009, 06:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
suggest that speckled ehn not go to many large cities because she/she will see many sites like this.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
suggest that speckled ehn not go to many large cities because she/she will see many sites like this.
She needs to stay away from large universities too. When I went to Texas Tech I saw some very interesting people there. If you think you're weird and you see some of these people suddenly you will feel like you're very boring and mundane.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
That's just Leslie. He runs for mayor every year. He's a bit of a local celebrity.

Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The weirdness is one of the things I like about Austin. It's a very colorful place. San Francisco and Austin I like the weirdness of these places. I get tired of seeing normal looking people all the time. Seeing weird things makes life interesting.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob000001 View Post
I'm working with a Texan who openly admits to everyone on site that he used to beat his kids in the face repeatedly just to toughen them up, he's adamant that it was the right thing to do and now that they've grown up "no-one messes with them cause they're so tough" (amazing what a bit of child abuse will do for a kid).
He's a high school dropout and only survives in our company by creating fear in the people around him - i.e. he's got the smallest amount of power and blatenly abuses it to threaten other workers.
As I've only met one Texan (Thank g*d!) I'm interested at how representative this is of Texan's as a whole.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled_Hen View Post
Ditto
Austin is awful - they pride themselves on being weird when what they really are is crazy and pitiful. I've not been impressed at all with the place. There are more aggressive panhandlers and angry homeless people there than you can shake a stick at. The place is so full of dread-locked hippies stumbling around, especially near the university, you'd think you'd happened upon Haight-Ashbury in '68. It's a city of extreme in-your- face politics - once my husband saw topless women walking around with signs saying that if men are allowed to go shirtless, so should women. A friend of my husband, a cop who refuses to ever set food in Austin again, saw a bearded transvestite prostitute standing on a corner wearing a gigantic overstuffed bra over his dress. The place is ridiculous. I don't recommend it for anyone who has values or is wanting to raise a family.
Yeah, **** people who are different. How dare they be themselves. Lets all act and be the same. It worked wonders in places like Nazi Germany.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:39 PM

21 posts, read 53,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

When I lived in downtown Chicago, I never saw anyone like the screeching topless women with the signs or the guy with the bra over his dress. Austin is apparently a magnet for these kinds of people.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
It never fails to amaze me how much some people value conformity. I look at leople like the 'screeching topless woman' as free entertainment. It sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 24,945 times
I see a lot of posts here where Texans are upset that Californians are moving in. Will I be shunned when I move to TX at the end of the year? I am a health professional and I'd like to think I will be a positive addition to the community I move into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas