Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about visiting McAllen in a couple weeks and crossing into Mexico via Reynosa but I keep hearing conflicting reports. Some people say Reynosa is really dangerous others say that it is not too bad. Has anybody here crossed over lately and what was your experience like in Reynosa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 AM

78 posts, read 247,448 times
Last month there were 3 shoot outs in Reynosa just blocks from the International bridge. i dont think is safe, but if you go then dont go alone.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Don't go. Period.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
My husband's job has him going to all those places lately. He's been to Del Rio most recently. He said he didn't feel unsafe but that it's kind of freaky to see soldiers outfitted in black carrying heavy weaponry at the crossings.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,955 times
sit in your room. afraid.

don't do anything that may be unsafe.

stop driving cars.

don't eat fatty food.

watch tv.

don't move.

don't do anything illegal.

stay in your room.

just go.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 17,367 times
I just went today and even though there are always reports of bad things going on, where in the world is there not? I felt very comfortable, but if you go, go with a group, not alone.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Go up to Roma or Rio Grande City and cross there. Easier in Rio Grande City, because driving through Camargo on the other side is not confusing. From Camargo, a good road link to major highway connections. You will be perfectly safe in Camargo and on the highways leading south from there.

If all you want to do is go over to a Mexican town for a day of atmosphere, cross at Roma into Ciudad Miguel Aleman, which is a decent sized town, but not big enough to have anything going on for you to worry about. I think you can leave your car on the US side and just walk acros the bridge, and be right in downtown Aleman. At Camargo, it would be several miles from the border to the town, so you'd need to drive across.

If you are not going down into Mexico away from the border, there are no entry formalities in Mexico. Just walk or drive in, nobody will pay any attention. Your car insurance will not protect you while your car is in Mexico. You'll have to deal with Patriot Act Nuts when you try to get back, but returning to the US from Mexico nowadays is actually even easier than returning from Canada. Americans returning on foot from Mexico get no hassle at all, even if you're carrying a shopping bag from a pharmacy.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-11-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
Please don't go

Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Please ignore people who say Please Don't Go. Mexico is a nice country, and full of nice people. The border cities are pretty unrepresentative of the country, but at least by going there, you will know something. Ignore the people who know nothing.

In fact, this might be a better time to go. The people who are not drug lords and kidnappers and gun smugglers will be even more anxious to show you the good, friendly, hospitable side of Mexico. Mexicans are proud of their country, and now, more than ever, would love to impress you with how nice it is.

If at any time you feel scared or threatened, walk up to any Mexican (one who is NOT paying any attention to you---beware of people who say "allo-fran") and say "Ayuda me, por favor" (Help me, please). They will drop what they are doing and do what they can to find out what you need and assist you. If you are really in serious trouble, you will become a community project of people who are didicated to your safety, and they will see you through. You're never alone in Mexico.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-12-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 PM

12 posts, read 46,338 times
I live in McAllen and find the Progresso area to be the most safe. I try to stay out of the other places because of the problems in those cities. But, Nuevo Progresso, I feel safe because it is a fairly small place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas