Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:03 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
They brag alot and say its pride but it shows they are insecure for some reason. The question is why?
Oh perhaps.. we like where we live and who we are!!!!!!! That is called being very secure in who we are... The rest of our backyard just has to live with it.

We are not impressed with those who feel they are elite over others and they can't handle it so they reverse it by saying "It Bragging" or some fault...

We are not impressed with Central Park, 5th Ave, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Hills <community du jour > etc.... We don't care!

that seems to bother a lot of people

Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times
Bus Tickets do not cost that much to Louisiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I'm a native Texan and I just wanted to ask ILNC a favor.

When you leave will you PLEEEEEEEEASE take me with you?

I don't have the finances to leave at this time. It will probably take me years to save up, but 34 years here has been enough for me!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
Bus Tickets do not cost that much to Louisiana.
Perhaps that was sarcasm, but surely you know it requires more than a bus ticket to move a whole family and all of their belongings. Why would I want LA where the humidity if worse than it is in Texas?

Last edited by robinhood; 05-20-2007 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 12:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I'm a native Texan and I just wanted to ask ILNC a favor.

When you leave will you PLEEEEEEEEASE take me with you?

I don't have the finances to leave at this time. It will probably take me years to save up, but 34 years here has been enough for me!

Hey, that's not fair. If ILNC takes you, I want to go too. I'm still working on it, but if she leaves before I do, I want to be a stowaway.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:04 PM

127 posts, read 378,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
Oh perhaps.. we like where we live and who we are!!!!!!! That is called being very secure in who we are... The rest of our backyard just has to live with it.

We are not impressed with those who feel they are elite over others and they can't handle it so they reverse it by saying "It Bragging" or some fault...

We are not impressed with Central Park, 5th Ave, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Hills <community du jour > etc.... We don't care!

that seems to bother a lot of people

And I might add, they are super sensitive!

Old 05-20-2007, 01:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Houstoner, APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

So true, so true. Texas kind of has a spirit that is not found in too many other states. There are a few others but not as many. Why does this spirit exist? Because our ancestors came here w/ nothing but hopes and dreams and made something out of nothing by sheer hardwork and determination (remember some of us are not but 3 generations removed from the days of Indian raids and got to hear these stories firsthand). Texans are proud and rightly so as we've been taught that we don't look for handouts and we take care of our family anyway possible. I don't see where being proud of our rich heritage and the love we have for our native state is something that is negative. Perhaps it is the other way around in that those that are not from here and have not had the opportunity to hear and live firsthand the hardships faced by our ancestors are more possibly jealous than anything else. Were a happy bunch that is proud of where we come from and determined to make the best of it no matter what. You don't see us all running from state to state looking for the next "hot spot" and putting down those states along the way. Putting down the natives of those states because the way they act, behave, talk, etc is different. Instead you see the vast majority of us native sons and daughters taking advantage of the great resources that our great state offers and then being able to go out and explore and be adventurous around the country and the globe. Yet we still come back home and when we do come back we don't come back telling others how horrible these other places were and how backwards the people were. Instead we talk positively about the many different things we saw and did that we may not be able to do here. I'd say we are a more accepting bunch than what has been demonstrated by a lot of people from other states that have come to live or visit Texas. We are told that we are backwards hicks (rich hicks w/ a good college education ), unaccepting, we don't change to fit THEM, we don't do things the same way they did back in their home state(s), etc. Well, I didn't go out to California or Florida or anywhere else and tell them all that they were backwards and do things wrong. I went and enjoyed my trips and times there and came back home with a positive attitude. Whose the ones being accepting and open to others then?

As a true Native Texan I'd love to know what it is that those that are not natives believe makes a real native? Do I HAVE to wear cowboy boots? Do I HAVE to drive a truck or ride a horse? Do I HAVE to hunt every weekend? Do I HAVE to talk like an ignorant hick? If I don't do any of those things am I still considered a Native Texan by non-natives? If I'm proud of where I came from and happy to live here how does that make me a bad person?

Like I said earlier and I don't mean it in a bad way or "rude" in any way, shape or form but it is kind of funny how we are the ones considered "unaccepting" yet it is really the other way around. You can come here and live or visit and accept us for who we are and show that you really are open and accepting to people that are different than you and not put us down because we are happy w/ where we live. It is actually rather obvious that there are MANY more people from other states that hate us and our state and very vocal about it in negative ways. You don't believe me then take a gander over to the California side and look at how so many put it down and most of it is inaccurate. Yet you don't see one thread on here of us natives wanting to know who has been to another state and have openly bashed it to pieces. Instead you'll find us posting in other states asking about things to do on visits. Oh well, I really don't care if others like or don't like me or us Native Texans. I'm happy w/ who I am and where I live and VERY secure with it and myself .

Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner
What I love about Texas: it's a vast expanse of land whose diversity of geography and climate is reflected in its people. We've got big cities and small towns and rural countryside. We've got seven different types of terrains to explore. If you live in one part, you could easily take a day trip or vacation to another and still be at home. The lakes and forests of the Piney Woods are my favorite because I grew up there, but I love the feeling of the Gulf winds in Houston just as much. I lived someplace with drier air and my skin was cracking by December. Not for me. We've contributed greatly to the fabric of American music and have our own musical styles (see?), our own foods (Tex-Mex and BBQ, beef!, locally made salsas and syrups, a national beer, and I could go on here), debatably our own language (accents and colloquialisms found nowhere else... hehehe), a rich history and heritage filled with colorful characters of all sorts, from Indians and outlaws to slaves to oil tycoons, much too long to go into here; suffice it to say when I was in school we were required to take an entire year of Texas history! Texans lack pretension and can be brutally honest, which isn't everyone's cup of tea but personally I find such 'realness' refreshing. We're opinionated but mostly in jest. We really don't take ourselves that seriously. We've got all manner of weirdness, eccentricities and attractions not just in Austin but all over the state, from the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo to the Forbidden Gardens in Katy to historical Jefferson, Texas to Galveston with its stories of pirate Jean Lafitte, Mardi Gras, Victorian architecture, and beaches. Texans are tough; you have to be to withstand the heat. Our women have long been feminists, whether they've thought of themselves that way or not. We are kind and welcoming... so don't come here and bash us. Texas has long been a land of opportunity. If you can't find it in Texas, build it, make it happen! We want you to, and we'll support you in your efforts. Folks love Texas because they chose to come here, for whatever reason. Every native Texan has a family history of an ancestor who was the first transplant who came here to make a new life or make something of themselves, and they succeeded. Many famous, and infamous, folk were born or have lived in Texas, a testament to our progressive, independent spirit. We've had our good times and our bad times, but we've worked hard to make the desert bloom, as they say in Israel, and it has paid off. I could go on... but those are just a few of the reasons I've got Texas pride.
Amen and hallelujah, houstoner. Some people don't get it; some people don't want to. Either way, I'm happy and secure with my Texas pride.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
It's called aggressive ignorance. They're ignorant and aggressive about it!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
Twinkle Toes,

I think you have very effectively proven that Texans aren't the only ignorant people in this country. Your statement is not only ignorant, it's rude. Judging a whole state and it's people by your nine unhappy months in San Antonio is what I would call "aggressive ignorance".

Personally, I have lived in Texas for a little over two years now. I haven't encountered the whole Texas pride thing that people talk about on this forum. But if I did, I certainly wouldn't consider it being ignorant. Taking pride in one's home is a good thing in my book.

The title of this thread is asking why native Texans hate other states so much. How can all native Texans be lumped into one category? How can anyone actually think that all native Texans hate other states? It seems to me that plenty of people from other states hate Texans just as much as they supposedly hate them. Why doesn't any of that surprise me? Kind of sounds like human nature, at it's worst of course.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I don't know, but it seems to me reading through the posts and various Texas threads that anything not Texas is like voodoo. If you even mention something non-Texas and say anything good about it, you have stirred up the wrath of Texas. The rest of the country is not "Texas' backyard".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas