Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,898 times

Advertisements

I am 40, single, female, two children getting ready to go to college, and I think I am ready to move. I have lived in Bloomington, Indiana my entire life and I am ready for a big change. I have traveled a fair amount and I really like Texas, well really most of the South West but Texas seems to be the place I end up the most. I have visited most areas of the state and most have their appeal. What do you all think? Where would you go if you were me, need to work and make a decent living, but also looking for time to explore my own interests after raising kids my entire life?? I enjoy gardening and agriculture so would probably look for a home in the country or suburbs of a city. Also, HATE tornadoes, I know it is tornado alley but if I could stay out of that, I would be happy. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM

714 posts, read 2,938,211 times
Fort Worth, large enough for opportunities and amenities, but not crowded like Dallas, Houston Austin or San Antonio.

I wish that when I settled in Texas in 1990, I would have landed there instead of the Dallas area.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,388,956 times
I would settle in Dallas/Ft Worth, because I love big diverse metro areas.

By your description, I think New Braunfels or San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio may be a good fit.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post

By your description, I think New Braunfels or San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio may be a good fit.

Both excellent suggestions. I have been to both areas and like them. Any idea how these areas are holding up in the recent economy? Where I live now, things are still okay, not a lot of layoffs and such, but I worry about moving to another area.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,388,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihill View Post
Both excellent suggestions. I have been to both areas and like them. Any idea how these areas are holding up in the recent economy? Where I live now, things are still okay, not a lot of layoffs and such, but I worry about moving to another area.
San Marcos/New Braunfels tend to go as San Antonio/Austin go. And, San Antonio and Austin are pretty much buffered from economic downturns. SA is a military, tourism and medical hub; Austin is the State Capitol, university and tech hub. There are layoffs in various job sectors (like anywhere) but overall this region of Central Texas is still experiencing economic growth.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,241,255 times
You might also try smaller places like Tyler or Longview. I know both those places are doing well with job creation right now.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,359,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post

I would avoid Dallas.

I live in New Braunfels, and I am from Illinois. I think its a great spot. You can easily get to Austin or San Antonio, and the two cities are both charming and different and have different things to offer, plus its close to San Marcos, there is a college there, plus colleges in SA and Austin. New Braunfels and San Marcos are smaller too and very pretty. Lots of opportunity in this area I think, and you dont have to live right in the city.

I do think the traffic is nuts, but that seems to be everywhere in Texas. I did not like Dallas at all.

I'm glad I landed at this spot in Texas, not sure if I would want to be anywhere else. I do like checking out other areas of the state and returning here.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,781,501 times
Without a doubt Austin is the best city in Texas. The rest of the state cannot compare, but Austin isn't necessarily represent the rest of Texas.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM

989 posts, read 2,501,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Without a doubt Austin is the best city in Texas. The rest of the state cannot compare, but Austin isn't necessarily represent the rest of Texas.
This comment is BS in my opinion. The great thing about Texas is that every city has a different vibe. I'd recommend spending a few weeks driving around the state and check it out.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 12,270,311 times
Depends on what you want. I would not have anything to do with the major metros other than visiting, but that's because I don't care for big cities and I used to live in the Texas Panhandle. Not as much opportunity or high paying jobs, but there are tradeoffs---slower pace of life, wide open spaces, down to earth people, etc. Just depends on what you want, but Texas is so varied that I would recommend you take time to visit all regions and decide for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas