Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times

Advertisements

Given all my emotional and life history attachments to Texas, I still take considerable interest in Texas politics. I'd like to avoid talking about the merits of any particular political position here if we can, e.g. progressive vs. conservative. Instead, I'd just like to consider whether or not people think the rhetorical shrillness is likely to abate and things swing more toward the centre in Texas politics overall after the 2012 election.

Do people think the rhetoric in Texas has already been turned down a bit? If Pres. Obama is re-elected, rather than the Republican challenger, will the political rhetoric decrease even though Texas will presumably still be a Republican-controlled State -- or not?

Can we have a civilised discussion about this without taking pot shots or swipes at one another? I'm just trying to understand the political climate forecast for Texas a little better. The rhetoric seems to have intensified there a great deal - as it has done in some other states - since I moved away in 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM

52 posts, read 126,757 times
I get frustrated that our elections have become more about slinging mud over personal flaws and soundbytes than a legitimate discussion over the issues.

It feels that no matter what the opposing party suggests, they're lampooned as the most evil people on the face of the planet who will kill your children and make America a third-world country. I do hope that Texas will not have those attack ads. But I don't see any end in sight.

I would like to see an end to straight ticket voting. There are a lot of good people on both sides -- especially when it comes to judges. Simply choosing to have a D or an R beside your name doesn't mean squat. In fact, many of them switch parties depending on straight ticket voting patterns!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
The same question could be asked of NY, Ca., Wa., and Or.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
If Obama wins in 2012, he still will not win Texas. Although the Hispanic demographic overwhelmingly voted for him in 2008, only 35% of Hispanics voted. He won 98% of black Texans' vote, but again low turnout.

As long as the voter turnout in Texas continues to be domiminated by white Republicans, the state will remain Repub-controlled due to the high amount of "straight ticket" voting.

I am a Repub but can't stand Perry. I personally don't want to see a more mod/lib Texas, just want a better Repub in charge

Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockholmes2501 View Post
I would like to see an end to straight ticket voting. There are a lot of good people on both sides -- especially when it comes to judges. Simply choosing to have a D or an R beside your name doesn't mean squat. In fact, many of them switch parties depending on straight ticket voting patterns!
YES! THANK YOU. I am a Repub but have voted for many a Dem judge either to NOT vote for their Repub opponent or simply because the Dem actually lined up with my viewpoints better than the Repub.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM

52 posts, read 126,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I am a Repub but can't stand Perry. I personally don't want to see a more mod/lib Texas, just want a better Repub in charge
Me too! Perry knows how to stoke the fires of the base. But I don't see him having any good ideas on how to fix Texas. He is the soundbyte governor.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,475 times
When the mudslinging stops working, they'll stop doing it. The responsibility is with us as voters to not put up with the mudslinging and not put up with the members of the media that glorify it. We should be voting for candidates, not against them.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 AM

96 posts, read 209,740 times
I hope not.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,743 times
I don't think it will settle down any time soon, and we shouldn't want it too. Studies have shown that the more people know about politics, the more likely they are to have extreme positions on one end of the spectrum or the other. The moderates are the least informed. With so much information available now, I don't see any reason why people would become more moderate.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I don't think it will settle down any time soon, and we shouldn't want it too. Studies have shown that the more people know about politics, the more likely they are to have extreme positions on one end of the spectrum or the other. The moderates are the least informed. With so much information available now, I don't see any reason why people would become more moderate.
I think it's the other way around. The more extreme people tend to be, the more they know about politics, their version of politics at least. There's a major difference.

It's been my experience that those who vote straight ticket are the least informed and just follow blindly follow the voting tendencies of the region they're in.

Often moderates are informed of both sides of the issues rather than the Fox/CNBC version of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas