Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,240,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
So far, I'm not sensing much cause for optimism from these posts. My supposition is that much of the recent intensity of American politics comes from the tremendous financial insecurity that so many people have been experiencing, and that to the extent the economy and employment levels improve this insecurity will decrease, hence only a much reduced fringe of social activists will continue the shrill rhetoric over the usual suspects (abortion, issues revolving around social integration of homosexual persons, etc). I would think that shrillness over immigration issues would decrease, as I see that significantly fueled by economic insecurities and not a core part of the social conservative agenda (nor the liberal agenda for that matter). Perhaps that's all wishful thinking on my part.

I guess another thing I'm obliquely asking is whether the intensity of political rhetoric in Texas is likely to decrease once Perry is out of office, though I guess that won't be before 2014, so not really a part of the upcoming election cycle.
I may not be in the mainstream on this, but I don't think the rhetoric in Texas is as intense as you describe. It certainly is with Rick Perry and those that oppose him. Perry is a divisive figure and bombastic. That inflames the other side. But the typical Texas resident, whether they are inherently Democrat or Republican is not as fired up as some think.

I think national politics is very divisive today. The people I interact with regularly (family, coworkers, and friends) are more polarized on national issues than Texas issues.

It is just a guess, but I think Perry will finally wear out his support this term. I think many Texans would like a more sensible Republican. But who is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,272,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I may not be in the mainstream on this, but I don't think the rhetoric in Texas is as intense as you describe. It certainly is with Rick Perry and those that oppose him. Perry is a divisive figure and bombastic. That inflames the other side. But the typical Texas resident, whether they are inherently Democrat or Republican is not as fired up as some think.

I think national politics is very divisive today. The people I interact with regularly (family, coworkers, and friends) are more polarized on national issues than Texas issues.

It is just a guess, but I think Perry will finally wear out his support this term. I think many Texans would like a more sensible Republican. But who is that?
This.

People don't realize Texas in general just has a low voter turnout and we end up with these over the top politicians. However, they do not represent or speak for the general population of Texas.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,008,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This.

People don't realize Texas in general just has a low voter turnout and we end up with these over the top politicians. However, they do not represent or speak for the general population of Texas.
Very true. Well spoken

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,999,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Probably I should have been more specific, but I was in fact talking about the politicians. Perry would be the most obvious example but there are still people around like Warren Chisum (I know, he's been around forever) and members of the Texas Board of Education (Yes, I know the adoption of textbooks in Texas has been a circus for about as long as I can recall). Still, it seems there are quite a few loudmouths in the Texas legislature these days, and of course some members of the Texas congressional delegation in recent years have been very mean, ugly characters -- some got their comeuppance, of course. Still, my perception of the level of rhetoric was generally that the volume was lower during the governorship of GW Bush; not to mention Mark White and even Bill Clemmons - who became a virtual hermit during his second term. I realise that Ann Richards offended the sensibilities of conservative Republicans and I can't really comment on her level of rhetoric as governor (not as keynote speaker at the Dem Convention, a purely partisan gig in which she would fairly be expected to engage in strong and scathing rhetoric), as I was a big fan of her administration and at this remove in history can no longer be objective about her performance. Anyway, I wasn't talking so much about the citizenry as the political class.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,799,662 times
I certainly hope so. Texas has become a bastian of extreme right wing politics where even the text books have to be re-written to make conservative, Christian, whites to look in the best possible way without taking into account what our history actually is.

I dont want a liberal or a conservative Texas, but I would love a moderate one.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,008,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I certainly hope so. Texas has become a bastian of extreme right wing politics where even the text books have to be re-written to make conservative, Christian, whites to look in the best possible way without taking into account what our history actually is.

I dont want a liberal or a conservative Texas, but I would love a moderate one.
I agree with everything you say except one thing. These folks may try to come off as Christians, but in no way do they resemble or live like Christians in the Bible. In fact, they are completely opposite, and are more like folks that Jesus clashed with (the leaders of the towns and the elite). Time after time, the powerful folks and leaders hassled him and put him down and called him names, and he had to put them in their place. Just read books/chapters such as Matthew. It's very clear. Too bad more folks don't see this or care...

Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,362,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Being "educated" and being "wise and intelligent" are not the same thing. You can have a head full of facts and knowledge, but that doesn't automatically translate into intelligent statements and actions....
Unfortunately, exit polls - or any poll- can't distinguish the difference between educated and wise. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
P.S., CNN is full of crap. But if you want data to match your views, then I guess you will "data" from there. But the opposite viewpoint could take that same approach, but from another source, and get complete opposite results. Statistics are overated, and are often as flawed as the faceless (hidden) folks who generate them. It's naive to put much stock in them...
I'm a CONSERVATIVE using the LIBERAL'S CHOICE NEWS SOURCE as my data point......and it's still not good enough for you? Jeeezz. Give me a break.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,999,824 times
As a leftie, I would have thought that PBS and MSNBC, as well as NPR, were the favoured news sources for those of us on the left -- NOT CNN.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,362,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
As a leftie, I would have thought that PBS and MSNBC, as well as NPR, were the favoured news sources for those of us on the left -- NOT CNN.
Well CNN is certainly not a conservative news network a la Fox News.

My point wast that the facts I presented regarding the education levels & voting patterns from the last election cycle DID NOT COME from a conservative news outlet.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,276,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Well CNN is certainly not a conservative news network a la Fox News.

My point wast that the facts I presented regarding the education levels & voting patterns from the last election cycle DID NOT COME from a conservative news outlet.
Doesn't this kind of prove the point of the OP? We now have news sources that are deliberately designed to cater to our own political bias. They tell us that we were right all along and the other side is mean, evil and dirty. It further polarizes the political process and makes this more about the dirty tricks of the other side instead of the policies.

When Mitt Romney, as a Republican, enacted almost identical health-care law as Obama did as a Democrat, the opposite "sides" were crying foul. Blind allegiance to any party is a dangerous thing. And our admittedly biased news sources seem to only feed that polarization of "us vs. them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas