Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I don't think it will settle down any time soon, and we shouldn't want it too. Studies have shown that the more people know about politics, the more likely they are to have extreme positions on one end of the spectrum or the other. The moderates are the least informed. With so much information available now, I don't see any reason why people would become more moderate.
I've never seen any studies or facts stating that, but what I have seen is that educated people tend to vote more democratic than republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Looking around this country and the trends in recent years, I'd say that politics in the state and across the country will continue their downward slide. More polarization and partisanship, more yelling and finger pointing, etc. The noisemakers continue to get louder and more entrenched, and the older generations - with their civility, moderation, and ability to listen without reacting emotionally - are fading away.

Trying to fit the two parties (two limited choices) into three realms of thought (conservative, moderate, and liberal) will continue to cause problems. God help us all.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I don't think it will settle down any time soon, and we shouldn't want it too. Studies have shown that the more people know about politics, the more likely they are to have extreme positions on one end of the spectrum or the other. The moderates are the least informed. With so much information available now, I don't see any reason why people would become more moderate.
Irony noted.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never seen any studies or facts stating that, but what I have seen is that educated people tend to vote more democratic than republican.
The studies aren't that hard to find - I just found about ten that stated your hypothesis. What i also noticed about these studies:
1) most of them were single issue topics (ie, same sex marriage, or right to life issues.)
2) almost ALL of them came from a study at a University -- which are, for the most part, extremely Liberal and Democrat-heavy organizations
3) Two of the studies were done specifically For a Democratic base
4) Several of the studies were in the 1990's and were in response to Presidential races.

In other words -- you can pull just about any statistics together to support a bias. Not one of the studies I found sounded all that fair and unbiased.

As a highly educated, very intelligent and well-read voter - I find these "studies" offensive. They play into the "hillbilly" epithets that many Democrats toss off to marginalize those who don't agree with them. And as one who has gone to many events attended by "educated" people, I can tell you that book learnin' and wisdom aren't the same thing.

Personally, my hope is that Texas will stay conservative and remember its roots.

[Oh - and by the way - there's a difference between "Democratic" and "Democrat." ]

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
1. All US voters are democratic- we live in a democracy. Whether they vote Democrat or Republican is another issue.

2. I find your assertion offensive and incorrect.
Some of the wealthiest and most educated zip codes in Texas- University Park & Highland Park in Dallas, Southlake, West Plano, etc- are over 90% college educated- many with advanced degrees- and vote overwhelmingly Republican.

Heck, even the wealthiest zip code on Manhattan's Upper East Side is the largest fundraising source for the GOP. That neighborhood is full of MBA's from Harvard and Wharton.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
I've only ever seen studies that show that highly-educated individuals tend to have liberal leanings (we're talking socially, not fiscally) and that less-educated folks tend to fall into extremist positions and are more easily swayed by fear politics (see: Tea Party).

Where are your sources saying that educated people vote to the far right or left?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
1. All US voters are democratic- we live in a democracy. Whether they vote Democrat or Republican is another issue.

2. I find your assertion offensive and incorrect.
Some of the wealthiest and most educated zip codes in Texas- University Park & Highland Park in Dallas, Southlake, West Plano, etc- are over 90% college educated- many with advanced degrees- and vote overwhelmingly Republican.

Heck, even the wealthiest zip code on Manhattan's Upper East Side is the largest fundraising source for the GOP. That neighborhood is full of MBA's from Harvard and Wharton.

I didn't make an assertion; I stated a fact.

You shouldn't feel any need to be offended by that line unless you're stupid or uneducated. It doesn't state all dumb people vote republican, but educated people are more likely to vote democrat.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
And here are the facts from the 2010 elections showing Republicans are more educated:
Senate, House, Governor Races - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

3% of voters had no HS diploma -> 57% voted Dem, 36% voted Rep
17% of voters had a HS diploma only -> 46% D, 52% R
28% had some college education -> 43% D, 53% R
30% had a college degree-> 40% D, 58% R!!!
21% had an advanced degree-> 53% D, 45% R

The least educated voted overwhelmingly Democrat- although just 3% of voters. Then, at the top of the scale, those with the highest levels of education - those who studied longer at typically liberal leaning universities- also voted Democrat. But most college graduates, by a nearly 20% margin, voted Republican.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
And here are the facts from the 2010 elections showing Republicans are more educated:
Being "educated" and being "wise and intelligent" are not the same thing. You can have a head full of facts and knowledge, but that doesn't automatically translate into intelligent statements and actions.

It's better to seek folks who are wise and rational, regardless of how educated they are (or how educated they are to certain people). It doesn't take a diploma or degree or a big plaque on someone's goldplated desk to show one's smarts or value to society.

P.S., CNN is full of crap. But if you want data to match your views, then I guess you will "data" from there. But the opposite viewpoint could take that same approach, but from another source, and get complete opposite results. Statistics are overated, and are often as flawed as the faceless (hidden) folks who generate them. It's naive to put much stock in them...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-20-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
Here is a nice article at Cracked (you are warned) that is relevant to this discussion.

5 Reasons Humanity Is Terrible at Democracy | Cracked.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas