Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 AM

12 posts, read 40,242 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been online looking for information on Texas and found this great forum and have spent some time reading the wonderful posts.

I need a bit of advice and this looked like a great place to ask.

Currently we live near Tampa Florida and would like to relocate for a few reasons. Florida taxes and insurance skyrocketing, threat of Hurricanes, high crime, and we need more space than our current home for our internet related small business.

We have only been to Texas a few times on quick business trips but we really found most of the people very nice. We think Texas would be a cool place to live.

I am not sure which area of Texas to really search but we need a mild climate and were thinking that between Austin and San Antonio might be a place to start but I have no idea what the land is like.

We need a Mild Climate. We would like good ground for growing a garden. We would like to cut food cost by growing some of our own organic veggies. My biggest concern is trying to find the part of texas that is still warm enough to be mild but still have good soil for growing food.

We will be looking for about 5 acres, instead of getting an office here in Florida our hope is to take that money and invest in a few acres where we can have our home and then have an extra barn/building we can use for our business. We are not really interested in living right in the city, more rural area but not more than an hr from a city.

Any information or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Kamper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I'd recommend Austin, and I'd recommend east of IH35 due to your soil requirements. We have an 11 month growing season here, by the way.

There are several areas in that direction within the distance you recommend (and closer) that would fit your specs thusfar. Tell us more and maybe I can be more specific.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,645 times
Quote:
I am not sure which area of Texas to really search but we need a mild climate and were thinking that between Austin and San Antonio might be a place to start but I have no idea what the land is like...

We will be looking for about 5 acres,
IMO, you picked the best part of TX. A family member who wasn't very familiar with TX moved to the San Marcos area a few months ago and is really enjoying his 5 acres - very safe and quiet, yet still close enough to the city amenities of Austin and San Antonio to go whenever he likes.

For gardening, you'll need to amend the soil pretty much anywhere west of I-35, but it's otherwise the most desirable area. Of course, the flip side of that is that the more arable land to the east tends to be cheaper.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 AM

12 posts, read 40,242 times
Thanks for the replies.

The long growing season as well as safe and quite is right up my alley.

If I need to stay East of highway I-35 then maybe I shouild search a little more of north east of Austin about 60 miles especially if the land is a bit cheaper?

One of the goals for the move is to take the price of the home here and buy more with the dollar. Not sure how land values match up but even in Florida there are outlying areas that are cheaper than in my area. I would like to buy in an area that is a bit less expensive and then the area will develop around us over the years. By having an internet related business it gives us the advantage of not having to worry about being so close to a big city for work.

In these areas, do people have like Pecan, Peach, or other types of fruit trees? Easily grow things without having to modify the land? Just wondering what kind of crops is Austin area known for?

THanks!!
Kamper

Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,645 times
Quote:
I would like to buy in an area that is a bit less expensive and then the area will develop around us over the years.
Then look at Lockhart - quite inexpensive and rural, yet there's a planned toll road from east Austin to east San Antonio that will go right through there:
Lone Star Infrastucture: SH 130 - Maps

It's a town best known for BBQ, but the drive from there to Austin (especially the airport) is easy, and will be even easier when the toll road goes in.

Quote:
In these areas, do people have like Pecan, Peach, or other types of fruit trees? Easily grow things without having to modify the land?
I know pecan trees do great with no effort, but don't know about the fruit trees.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM

493 posts, read 637,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Hi,

I have been online looking for information on Texas and found this great forum and have spent some time reading the wonderful posts.

I need a bit of advice and this looked like a great place to ask.

Currently we live near Tampa Florida and would like to relocate for a few reasons. Florida taxes and insurance skyrocketing, threat of Hurricanes, high crime, and we need more space than our current home for our internet related small business.

We have only been to Texas a few times on quick business trips but we really found most of the people very nice. We think Texas would be a cool place to live.

I am not sure which area of Texas to really search but we need a mild climate and were thinking that between Austin and San Antonio might be a place to start but I have no idea what the land is like.

We need a Mild Climate. We would like good ground for growing a garden. We would like to cut food cost by growing some of our own organic veggies. My biggest concern is trying to find the part of texas that is still warm enough to be mild but still have good soil for growing food.

We will be looking for about 5 acres, instead of getting an office here in Florida our hope is to take that money and invest in a few acres where we can have our home and then have an extra barn/building we can use for our business. We are not really interested in living right in the city, more rural area but not more than an hr from a city.

Any information or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Kamper
I think Belton would be a good pick for you...It is a little more than an hour to Austin...but it is not as expensive as areas closer to Austin going southwards...I think you could get a good deal on some acreage there...I see family all the time in Temple...while there isn't as much to do...Austin isn't that far from belton.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I'd suggest everything from Bartlett (maybe a little further north) down to Caldwell County (a little south of Austin), and everything in between, as being suitable on the east side. Are you looking more for blackland prairie soil, or sandy loam, or what?

Our place, just east of IH35 and north of Georgetown, is right on the Balcones Fault and is half Austin chalk and half Houston black (the latter will grow anything but needs to have some amendment - mainly from the chicken coop, in our case - in order to be more pliable).

Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I live North East of Austin in Hutto. Not quite as far North as TexasHorseLady, but close. Our soil is the same. We live in a standard subdivision and have a peach tree, pear tree, fig tree, and a pomegranate tree. All bear fruit, except the pomegranate, but I think it's just a little too young yet. Other poms in my near area do fruit. There are also lots of pecan trees around. We are also currently trying for grapes (don't know what will happen, but the haven't died yet ). Other things we've grown successfully are onions, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers and hot peppers, okra, and cantaloupe.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM

595 posts, read 2,723,209 times
Be careful of high property tax in the Hill Country.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 PM

493 posts, read 637,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
Be careful of high property tax in the Hill Country.
Is Georgetown as bad as Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas