Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:41 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Never vote an actor to governor, oops we voted two brainless ones instead. I like most of the people from Cali I met, most people who are moving here are young and full of energy, i see cali plates everywhere.
Lets hope those Cali folks checked in their looney leftist politics at the door!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1966 View Post
I moved around a lot growing up as a kid and always loved what I learned about how people live their lives in different places. There's a reason for the expression "When in Rome". Yes I lived in CA too, but I'm not from there orginally. I haven't had the pleasure of living in Texas yet, but get to find out what it'll be like when i get there in two months. My CA friends are in shock over my decision to move to Texas and when they ask "Why", i merely point out how CA is doing socially and economically and then tell them to point out these same problems in Texas. Then comes the backpedling with the standard fallback position about the how great the weather is in CA. Honey, good weather doesn't keep a roof on my head or food in my belly especially when you're being taxed into oblivion. Well, that's my take on it at any rate.
I have a friend from Texas who spent some time in California. He described Cali as being a "mini-America." There are large groups of people who have moved to Cali from all over the country and all over the world really. You can find a lot of people in Cali from Texas, New York, the Midwest, Southeast, Porto Rico, Mexico, and even Asia.

I think the same thing is happening to Texas especially over last ten years. It's turning into a "mini-America." On top of a huge influx of people from all over the country, University of Houston has become the most racially diverse major research university in the country, the city of Houston now has the second large foreign born Asian community in the U.S. (I'm not sure if that is by numbers or percentage), and Latinos are expected to pass Whites as the majority in the state between 2012 and 2015.

For the most part people in Texas are excited about the growth and diversity and are very welcoming of new comers from all over the nation and the world. Texans are also usually excepting of new comer thoughts and opinions on how to improve our state because God knows that in spite of strong and growing economy there are a lot of social and infrastructure issues that many people would like to see the state address. But what Texans don't like is people coming here telling them how much better it was where they came from or how Texas should be more like fill-in-the-blank. That's a good way to alienate yourself and have everyone hate you.

As far overpriced real estate, high cost of living, a state government on the brink of bankruptcy, and the highest state tax in the nation, most Californians are coming to here get away from that as apposed to bringing the bad policies to Texas that put California in the position its in.

So I think Texas is becoming like California in that it's turning into one of the most diverse states in the the nation. Very soon, if not already, Texas will will be known as a place where people from all over the country and all over the world move to start a new life just like California, and I think that is something to be excited about. As for Texas turning into a state that has high cost of living, high taxes, sloppy and irresponsible state government spending and policies, and electing our own version of "The Governator," I don't see that happening for a long time .

Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
When I have visited California I thought the people there were rude, impatient, and pushy. I see more and more of that here now, plus the anti-smoking Nazi attitude of many Californians as well. I personally would not like to see Texas turn into California version 2.0. Some suburbs north of Dallas and Austin are on their way already!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Well maybe I'm just too used to Houston then. I think that's just mentality of a big city, unfortunately, and the cities suburbs. And besides that, there's more than just Californians moving to Austin and Dallas.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
As for Texas turning into a state that has high cost of living, high taxes, sloppy and irresponsible state government spending and policies, and electing our own version of "The Governator," I don't see that happening for a long time .
Unfortunately, I've been seeing a lot of the attitudes that, accurately or not, are perceived as being "California Nanny-State Attitudes" taking hold here in terms of, oh, such things as the smoking ban and the overturning of the compromise that allowed people who liked to smoke to go out and do so while at the same time allowas just one example. There's way too much of the "We know better than you about what you should be doing (read: everyone should make the same choices that I do and should be forced to do so because I know best) and we'll do our best to get the laws changed so that our way is the way things are here," for my comfort, knowing what Texas is really all about and how that's just not it.

I also think that quite a few people who are escaping California don't really realize the connection between the politics and that attitude in California, and the way things are in California right now, and so they want to replicate what is comfortable to them by pushing for that here, which is exactly the things that led to the current situation.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
The only thing I don't like about Texas is the piggish drug laws. That's one advantage of California, but with 100 disadvantages, I'll stay here. I'm a libertarian and believe in smaller government, which California doesn't. I have a bumper sticker that says "Libertarian -- more freedom, less government". I've gotten some compliments and no complaints.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM

277 posts, read 577,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, it doesn't work like that.
Granted I was only there for 5 days this summer, but I didn't run into a single rude New Yorker. I'd put money down that an honest answer from you is that you've never been there either.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
One of the reasons California became California-like is because so many people from other places came here and and demanded certan changes. When people invade a state from other places it will change. Texas will change due to the influx of people from everywhere, not just California. And the changes won't be BECAUSE of Californians but for the same reasons they occured in California....because the people will demand it.

Now you see lots of people coming to Texas and pretty soon they will demand certain changes, but by then they will be Texans so there will be nobody else to blame. And then, as always, people will become unhappy with Texas and move elsewhere. Probably to California. Lather, rinse, repeat.

There is no way in hell things will stay the same and never change. Y'all know that right?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
One of the reasons California became California-like is because so many people from other places came here and and demanded certan changes. When people invade a state from other places it will change. Texas will change due to the influx of people from everywhere, not just California. And the changes won't be BECAUSE of Californians but for the same reasons they occured in California....because the people will demand it.

Now you see lots of people coming to Texas and pretty soon they will demand certain changes, but by then they will be Texans so there will be nobody else to blame. And then, as always, people will become unhappy with Texas and move elsewhere. Probably to California. Lather, rinse, repeat.

There is no way in hell things will stay the same and never change. Y'all know that right?
Not so in South Carolina and the southeast in general. SC is seriously stuck in the past. I used to live there and now I wonder what mental illness prevented me from moving out sooner.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Now you see lots of people coming to Texas and pretty soon they will demand certain changes, but by then they will be Texans so there will be nobody else to blame.
Not exactly. When people from California or anywhere move en masse to an area and promptly start trying to change it to be exactly like the place they're from, they do not qualify as "Texans" or "Coloradans"? or "New Yorkers" or whatever state they've decided to make over into a replica of the one they came from. Just as, if people from Texas started moving en masse to California and started demanding that the laws and stores change so that California was becoming more like Texas than California, they wouldn't be "Californians".

As for "certain changes", when you start trying to change the laws of the place you moved to to suit yourself, rather than the people who were already there, and especially when this means taking away rights of the people who were already there, there's a problem, and it's not with the people who were already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas