Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:15 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,277,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
No, it's not that small. Waco is actually represented by more Democratic politicians than Republican. Waco is a multi-ethnic city with large black and Hispanic populations.

It would be more accurate to state that the dominant White/Anglo/Baptist majority population within Waco is largely conservative or libertarian. And the suburbs (like most suburbs in Texas) are especially so.
People always assume Waco is extremely conservative, when really the city isn't that conservative compared to its suburbs. Waco is a city stuck in a conservative county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,001,291 times
Even relative to other old Texas courthouses, the courthouse in Waco is pretty cool, with its rotunda with stained glass. I've never seen another like it amongst the many Texas courthouses I've seen and been in.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM

52,735 posts, read 48,075,782 times
I always enjoy driving into Waco from either direction on I-35. There's no way for me to adequately describe why, but it's a mighty fine place. Central Texas is always an entertaining trip. What I like is crossing the Brazos River in the southbound lanes and taking in good views of downtown and the Baylor campus.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 700,874 times
Lived in Waco for 3 years and couldn't stand it. Very few good restaurants (Baris, Diamondback's, Dubl-R, Kitok's, DeMaria's, Jasper's, Poppa Rollo's, Gratziano's, Ninfa's) but even they were closed alot of the times it would make sense to eat (Sundays and evenings). The campus is nice, but way too many steeples. The people are generally nice, but a bit too crazy for my tastes. I am very surprised a town halfway between Austin and DFW, situated on a lake, could develop the way it did. I suspect alot of that has to do with Baylor (which has more crazies in adminstration that most schools).

Last edited by gdu; 08-05-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 01:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,277,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdu View Post
Lived in Waco for 3 years and couldn't stand it. Very few good restaurants (Baris, Diamondback's, Dubl-R, Kitok's, DeMaria's, Jasper's, Poppa Rollo's, Gratziano's, Ninfa's) but even they were closed alot of the times it would make sense to eat (Sundays and evenings). The campus is nice, but way too many steeples. The people are generally nice, but a bit too crazy for my tastes. I am very surprised a town halfway between Austin and DFW, situated on a lake, could develop the way it did. I suspect alot of that has to do with Baylor (which has more crazies in adminstration that most schools).
Waco use to be bigger than both Austin and Dallas. Waco was posed as being a major city once.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,803,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Waco use to be bigger than both Austin and Dallas. Waco was posed as being a major city once.
Appearantly, they had a very big Tornado in 1953 that altered history for them so my grandmother says. Appearantly my Great Uncle also died in it.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:31 PM

5,505 posts, read 7,800,222 times
Actually Lake Waco is an artificial lake just like every single other lake in Texas with the sole exception being Caddo Lake on th LA boarder. Lake Waco was a Corps of Engineers project and the dam was built maybe half a century after the town. The main reason why Waco was founded was because it was one of the first crossing points of the Brazos River during the days of the cattle drives.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
gdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Appearantly, they had a very big Tornado in 1953 that altered history for them so my grandmother says. Appearantly my Great Uncle also died in it.
It was that and alot of other things. I have read all about it and you can tell by looking at downtown. I can't think of a lamer Texas city of the same size. The city is just so weird. It has no middle class. You are either a doctor/professor at Waco or a laborer. There are few banks and only a handful of office buildings. Very odd.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM

5,505 posts, read 7,800,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdu View Post
It was that and alot of other things. I have read all about it and you can tell by looking at downtown. I can't think of a lamer Texas city of the same size. The city is just so weird. It has no middle class. You are either a doctor/professor at Waco or a laborer. There are few banks and only a handful of office buildings. Very odd.
That's because the center of commerce has moved south to the area around the intersection of Bosque and Valley Mills Dr. Although downtown Waco is being revitalized slowly and business are moving back into the downtown area. It is quite a bit more lively than it was 6 years ago when I moved here and will probably be much more improved in 10 more years if current trends continue.

No middle class? Most of Waco is middle class. Especially the suburbs. After Baylor the largest employers are the two big hospitals and L3 communications which is a big defense contractor. Those are mostly middle class jobs.

Although it is probably true that most of the younger middle class families have moved towards the suburbs for the schools.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
gdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
That's because the center of commerce has moved south to the area around the intersection of Bosque and Valley Mills Dr. Although downtown Waco is being revitalized slowly and business are moving back into the downtown area. It is quite a bit more lively than it was 6 years ago when I moved here and will probably be much more improved in 10 more years if current trends continue.

No middle class? Most of Waco is middle class. Especially the suburbs. After Baylor the largest employers are the two big hospitals and L3 communications which is a big defense contractor. Those are mostly middle class jobs.

Although it is probably true that most of the younger middle class families have moved towards the suburbs for the schools.
Waco has the smallest middle class of any city I've ever been to.

And calling Bosque and Valley Mills the center of commerce is laughable to. I guess there are two office buildings there so it qualifies, but there is also a CVS and a boot store on the other 2 corners. Some "commerce center."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas