Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you think property taxes in Texas have the highest rate (can select multiple choices but sele
Lack of personal income tax to all income including a tiny dividends/interest 22 48.89%
Lack of any personal income tax coupled with no estate tax (contrast to tennesee) 17 37.78%
Robin Hood school financing system 9 20.00%
Lower home values 9 20.00%
Lack of statewide property tax system to administor 3 6.67%
Not everybody paying their fair share (non disclosure state) 10 22.22%
Not everybody paying their fair share (misused ag exemptions/utility for example) 6 13.33%
Corporations not paying fair share (loopholes, lobbied exemptions, non-disclosure difficult to assess properties) 10 22.22%
Government spending in local counties/cities and greed 5 11.11%
Lack of state aid 3 6.67%
Lack of state aid coupled with unfunded mundates by the state , shifting locality to counties/cities 2 4.44%
Sales tax not high enough although high almost like aka Tennesee (7.x vs. 9.x) 1 2.22%
High demand for services, schools, libraries, gold courses by residents 5 11.11%
Other issues, such as municipal utility districts and other special districts that arise 8 17.78%
Overassement by assessors/multiple districts and lack of a property tax cap more beneficial to homeowners or more generous homestead options/phase in 5 11.11%
State government spending/hoarding 2 4.44%
Higher property values particular in metro areas as opposed to rural or country areas 2 4.44%
Texas used to the system and not particular questioning it (no income tax) 6 13.33%
Lack of corporate income tax (although gross receipts insituted) 4 8.89%
Other please state in a few sentences 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:19 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,550 times

Advertisements

Texas property taxes, a complex subject , few don't have the right

answer but I want to poll readers, I have done some research on this

topic
and know some of the answers which keep getting crazier, but what do

you think or at least perceive as why property taxes are high, highest in the

nation as a matter of fact although the dollar amount may be a bit lower to

due lower priced homes (more on that latter , its a catch).

I will do a poll, it may surprise you the options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
I don't understand this. I've paid property taxes in Austin and still pay property taxes on natural gas wells I own in Denton Co. I can tell you that property taxes in TX are a lot lower than they are in my neighboring state of New Jersey. OTOH, I do pay lower residential property tax in New Castle County, Delaware than I did in Travis County, TX.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:24 PM

192 posts, read 595,139 times
Because there is no state income tax.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I wonder about that. Delaware has only a moderate state income tax and no sales tax at all, plus ridiculously low property taxes. The state does make money on some other things, like real estate title transfer fees and incorporation fees, but I'm not sure that you can say that higher property taxes are all down to no state income tax in Texas.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I'd rather be taxed on property (I have a choice to buy cheaper and smaller property) than fork over income taxes any day.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM

That doesn't make sense to me. Would you really choose to buy a tiny, too-small house in order to avoid property taxes? And would you say you'd rather pay sales tax because you can choose not to buy stuff, as opposed to being taxed on your income? State income taxes are deductible on your federal income tax. Wise up! And in Delaware, at least, the state income tax isn't much of a burden (nor was it in Colorado when I lived there).

Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Yes, I would. I would much rather have a federally imposed sales tax (on top of local taxes) than a progressive income tax system. Plus, with the ability to vote on bonds and having my vote count for more, I can have more control over where my property taxes go and how they are used.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I wonder about that. Delaware has only a moderate state income tax and no sales tax at all, plus ridiculously low property taxes. The state does make money on some other things, like real estate title transfer fees and incorporation fees, but I'm not sure that you can say that higher property taxes are all down to no state income tax in Texas.

I recently listed a poll list the top 5 options, or pick other and list reason in post,

there is a lot more to the story.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:01 PM

192 posts, read 595,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Yes, but Delaware's population is considerably smaller. I would think that would play into it somewhere.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,274 times
In the last tough economy in the 80's. Your above average new house in Texas was 75k. I believe the homestead exemption back then was 15k though I'm open to being corrected if that wasnt the case.
Back then Texas truly was a tax bargain. Most people were paying property tax on 60k assessed value.

Contrast that today where the average house assesed value is around 150k in Texas. Thats close to 3 times as much assesed home value as people were paying on just 25 years ago. Also the tax rate itself has increased quite a bit over those years. I wouldnt be shocked if people are paying 4 times as much property tax as they were 25 years ago in a pure dollar value.

If this recession deepens is the Texas property tax rate tenable or is it going to cause a total collapse of Texas housing? Will the ever growing numbers of people forced to rely on unemployment have the money to pay their exceptionally high property tax at the end of the year?

Given this scenario I think 'Property taxes are so high because: Texas hasnt experienced a deep recession in recent years'. Could be added to your choices.

No one knows if the current tax structure is tenable in a deep recession. We'll find out more information at the end of year, beginning of next year. If theres a massive spike in foreclosures next year, and it starts to devastate real estate values. Something that will cause even more waves of foreclosures as people go underwater. Then I think Texas will be forced to recognize its current tax burden on homeowners is untenable. The state, if its realistic, will have to recognize that a state income tax is necessary at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: