Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times

Advertisements

KERA will be hosting a debate for Republican candidates on January 14th. Perry and Hutchison received invitations, but Medina did not. She has met the selection criteria (http://texasdebates.org/criteria.php - broken link) outlined by KERA. While I am not a proponent of Medina I think it is unfair for them to exclude her. Please contact KERA to let them know she should be included. You can call 214-871-1390 or send an email to swalker@kera.org

This is the email I sent:
I am writing in hopes that KERA will include Debra Medina in the January 14th debate. She has fulfilled the selection criteria:

#1 She is eligible and met all legal criteria.

#2 She actively campaigns across the state. She operates her campaign headquarters in Wharton, TX. She maintains a staff made up of both volunteers and paid employees. She has received news coverage including the Dallas Morning News, Austin-American Statesman, and San Antonio Express News among others over the last month.

#3 She received 7% in a poll conducted by University of Texas and Texas Tribune in November.

I will not be supporting Medina in her bid for Governor, but it would be unfair of KERA not to include her in this debate. I trust that KERA will continue to be the highly respected station by allowing Debra Medina to participate.

Last edited by Bo; 01-05-2010 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: updated title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
It probably has something to do with the Rasumussen Poll that came out in November where she garnered 4% support.

Barring a complete and utter meltdown by both Perry AND Hutchison, Ms. Medina doesn't stand a snowball's chance of winning the primary.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It probably has something to do with the Rasumussen Poll that came out in November where she garnered 4% support.

Barring a complete and utter meltdown by both Perry AND Hutchison, Ms. Medina doesn't stand a snowball's chance of winning the primary.
Like I mentioned she garnered 7% in the UT/Texas Tribune poll. KERA only requires a candidate receive at least 6% in an official poll. To deny her entrance to the debate would show favoritism.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
KERA will be hosting a debate for Republican candidates on January 14th. Perry and Hutchison received invitations, but Medina did not. She has met the selection criteria (http://texasdebates.org/criteria.php - broken link) outlined by KERA. While I am not a proponent of Medina I think it is unfair for them to exclude her. Please contact KERA to let them know she should be included. You can call 214-871-1390 or send an email to swalker@kera.org

This is the email I sent:
I am writing in hopes that KERA will include Debra Medina in the January 14th debate. She has fulfilled the selection criteria:

#1 She is eligible and met all legal criteria.

#2 She actively campaigns across the state. She operates her campaign headquarters in Wharton, TX. She maintains a staff made up of both volunteers and paid employees. She has received news coverage including the Dallas Morning News, Austin-American Statesman, and San Antonio Express News among others over the last month.

#3 She received 7% in a poll conducted by University of Texas and Texas Tribune in November.

I will not be supporting Medina in her bid for Governor, but it would be unfair of KERA not to include her in this debate. I trust that KERA will continue to be the highly respected station by allowing Debra Medina to participate.

done. I'm sure that I will not vote for her but I saw her paid advertisement and liked her story of being a normal citizen who happens to be running for office.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Just wondering why folks are "sure they won't be voting for her"? Are they more than happy with the entrenched politicians we now have and the status quo we seem to get from such professional politicians.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Just wondering why folks are "sure they won't be voting for her"? Are they more than happy with the entrenched politicians we now have and the status quo we seem to get from such professional politicians.
I said that b/c I will ONLY vote Democratic, maybe a populist like Kinky Friedman, but NEVER a Republican. these texas republicans tend to be racist and homophobic.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM

That's a wide brush you paint with. Pretty narrow minded! Dammed shame you limit yourself so!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Ha ha ... never mind. I just went a read a sampling of your posts to get a handle on your hateful, smartazz retort to my rather innocent musing. ... seems you calling the Repubs racists and homophobes is very similar to some of your diatribes. Full of racial slurs and hate. That is a very black heart you have ... I'm glad I teach my kids discernment. They know there is good and bad persons in ALL types of fellow humans. They have also learned not to pigeonhole ANY group of people as they themselves will suffer from thinking "small".

I did find it interesting that you value your political agendas more important than alleviating human suffering. (You lamented the fact you wish you could give more to the American Cancer Society but that agendas such as Prop 8 were more important ... tsk tsk). Your posting positions are very clear to me now ... and quite predictable!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Ha ha ... never mind. I just went a read a sampling of your posts to get a handle on your hateful, smartazz retort to my rather innocent musing. ... seems you calling the Repubs racists and homophobes is very similar to some of your diatribes. Full of racial slurs and hate. That is a very black heart you have ... I'm glad I teach my kids discernment. They know there is good and bad persons in ALL types of fellow humans. They have also learned not to pigeonhole ANY group of people as they themselves will suffer from thinking "small".

I did find it interesting that you value your political agendas more important than alleviating human suffering. (You lamented the fact you wish you could give more to the American Cancer Society but that agendas such as Prop 8 were more important ... tsk tsk). Your posting positions are very clear to me now ... and quite predictable!
i don't appreciate your personal attacks. when you walk in my shoes, then you can be in judgment of me. If your rights were being trampled on, you might feel differently. Let me be clear when I say that denial of basic civil rights in a country that prides itself on freedom IS "human suffering", not an "agenda" as you put it. Funny how you accuse me of racial slurs, but you're the one saying that I have a "black" heart. god forbid that "white" would signify anything bad in your mind. I've known some decent CA republicans in my life, but most of the texas ones that i've encountered tend to be a little retarded.

Last edited by wehotex; 01-03-2010 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM

I am glad to announce KERA has decided to include Medina in the debate!

TRAIL BLAZERS Blog | The Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas