Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM

50 posts, read 154,171 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to Texas from Minnesota. She is a nurse and I am a carpenter. I am planning on attending an HVAC school once in Texas, but not for sure.

How are the job outlooks for nurses/carpenters/hvac?

We were thinking the Greater Houston area, what would be a relatively safe, cheap area? rent in the 5-600 range?

I've heard lots of stories about Texans feeling a little hostile towards Minnesotans any truth behind these rumors?

Can anyone give me just a general idea what Houston life is like compared to the Twin Cities, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to but it would be great...

ANY info about the move, the state, the area, just pretty much everything would be greatly appreciated. Facts, opinions are both welcome...

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM

423 posts, read 824,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker0217 View Post
How are the job outlooks for nurses/carpenters/hvac?
Always better in bigger cities. Since your girlfriend has an occupation that's currently in high demand I'm pretty sure she won't have any problems finding a job.

Quote:
We were thinking the Greater Houston area, what would be a relatively safe, cheap area? rent in the 5-600 range?
Unfortunately it would have to be either safe or cheap. Can't have both. Not in Houston.

Quote:
I've heard lots of stories about Texans feeling a little hostile towards Minnesotans any truth behind these rumors?
Um... I'm sure there are some folks who may dislike Yankees in general, if you're not planning on moving to the rural towns in East Texas I think you'll be okay, but Minnesotans in particular, I've never even heard of it.

Quote:
Can anyone give me just a general idea what Houston life is like compared to the Twin Cities, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to but it would be great...
You basically going from a place that's very very cold to a place that's very very hot and humid. Then again I've only been to Minneapolis once, 10 years ago, and large urban agglomerations look pretty much the same to me.

PS. Are you considering Houston only or other cities as well?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 PM

We're considering Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus as well.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Wouldn't someone from Minnesota be more akin to a Midwesterner than a "Yankee?"

Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM

I have relatives that have moved to Tennessee and Kentucky, and all of their friends and co-workers call us "Yankee's" because we're from a Northern state, but yeah we generally consider ourselves Midwesterners. What exactly do Southerners mean when they refer to us as "Yankees," is it a derogatory word?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,746,787 times
My wife and I moved to Texas from Alaska, although I'm originally from Oregon. I've never heard anyone from Texas use the term Yankee. That seems more like a term they might use in the deep South. I've always thought of it as more of a legacy of the civil war and segregation era. Everyone north of the Mason-Dixon line is a Yankee, even if you're from Oregon or California as they were part of the union.

In any event, if you're moving to one of the fast-growing suburban parts of Texas around Houston, Dallas or Austin then all your neighbors will be from elsewhere anyway. No one is going to notice or care that you are not born and raised in Texas once you get your license plates swapped. On my block here in an upscale suburb of Waco I have neighbors who are from Virginia, Tennessee, California, Korea, India, Michigan, Iowa, and Argentina as well as a few locals from Dallas and Houston who went to Baylor and ended up staying here. Strangely I can't think of a single neighbor who actually grew up here. The reverse would be true though in the more downscale neighborhoods. I have friends in Katy (upscale suburb west of Houston) and every one of their neighbors seems to be from out of state. That's just how it is in the fast growing areas of the state.

Of course if you move out to some fleabitten backwater town in east Texas that would be different. And if you move to San Antonio you won't be a Yankee, you'll be an Anglo (assuming you aren't Hispanic).

Old 01-30-2010, 08:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
In Houston, that price point is going to hurt you. Don't think you can get something in a decent area for $500-600 anymore. Good Luck though.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 PM

what would an apartment in a decent area price at? and what are the decent areas? we're going down in march to secure an apartment, but when your reading about them you get all these neighborhood names and have no idea which one you should be moving into.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
Quote:
We're considering Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus as well.
Suggest checking those three cities in their respective CD Texas forums.

IMO, San Antonio would be a good choice for nurses, but carpenters not so good as there is lots of cheap labor available. Now, HVAC would be in demand here.

Here are some HVAC trade schools in Texas:

Texas HVAC Training Schools Directory

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Wouldn't someone from Minnesota be more akin to a Midwesterner than a "Yankee?"
Yes, but many in Texas consider a Yankee as someone born North of I-20 (I-10 in Port Arthur).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas