Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
AlGreen and Billy H....speaking of "yall", yall...(*getting a kick out of my own wit here! *grins*)...here is an interesting little map based upon the frequency of it:

File:You all and Y'all.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is one for the use of "coke" as the generic name for a soft-drink:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

Al? It is interesting you mention "ice-box"...as I have to say, I grew up calling a refrigerator an "ice-box". Hell, I still DO! LOL
Husband's grandmother used to crack me up because she said "sody-pop." She was originally from Iowa.

My mother used the term "ice-box" and I remember calling it that back when I was little, late 60s/early 70s.

I wonder what the "other" terms for Coke/soda/pop are according to the makers of the map?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Husband's grandmother used to crack me up because she said "sody-pop." She was originally from Iowa.

My mother used the term "ice-box" and I remember calling it that back when I was little, late 60s/early 70s.

I wonder what the "other" terms for Coke/soda/pop are according to the makers of the map?
they probably call it "carbonated beverage" out in california lol

Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM

624 posts, read 906,732 times
In SA I did hear the term coke used often and used it myself, to me it meant the dark colored soft drinks Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper. I had never seen the map for the use of y'all thanks TexasReb and was a little surprised to see Maryland and Delaware also in the darker shade but not Missouri. I think it's funny how people remember things their grandparents said differently, my grandmother would always say davenport for couch.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
In SA I did hear the term coke used often and used it myself, to me it meant the dark colored soft drinks Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper. I had never seen the map for the use of y'all thanks TexasReb and was a little surprised to see Maryland and Delaware also in the darker shade but not Missouri. I think it's funny how people remember things their grandparents said differently, my grandmother would always say davenport for couch.
That one kinda surprised me too. Here are the actual statistical results of that particular survey out of the Harvard dialect study:

More than half using “y’all”: 1. Mississippi – 85.47% 2. Louisiana – 79.30% 3. Texas – 73.09% 4. Alabama – 72.81% 5. South Carolina – 71.83% 6. Georgia – 71.15% 7. Arkansas – 69.17% 8. North Carolina – 66.13% 9. Tennessee – 62.15%

Less than half using “y’all”: 1. Oklahoma – 46.35% 2. Virginia – 44.03% 3. Florida – 41.49% 4. Kentucky – 39.00% 5. West Virginia – 28.35% 6. Delaware – 20.93% 7. Maryland – 20.52% 8. Missouri – 13.44%

No other state registered over 8 percent...

One thing to note though, is that while the above stats only measure the use of "y'all"...the map itself combined *both* "Y'all and You-All" in its shading. So perhaps that explains it a bit.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
That one kinda surprised me too. Here are the actual statistical results of that particular survey out of the Harvard dialect study:

More than half using “y’all”: 1. Mississippi – 85.47% 2. Louisiana – 79.30% 3. Texas – 73.09% 4. Alabama – 72.81% 5. South Carolina – 71.83% 6. Georgia – 71.15% 7. Arkansas – 69.17% 8. North Carolina – 66.13% 9. Tennessee – 62.15%

Less than half using “y’all”: 1. Oklahoma – 46.35% 2. Virginia – 44.03% 3. Florida – 41.49% 4. Kentucky – 39.00% 5. West Virginia – 28.35% 6. Delaware – 20.93% 7. Maryland – 20.52% 8. Missouri – 13.44%

One thing to note though, is that while the above stats only measure the use of "y'all"...the map itself combined *both* "Y'all and You-All" in its shading. So perhaps that explains it a bit.
Wow Missouri's percent is less than Maryland and Delaware, I guess I was wrong. I have driven through that state several times since childhood from Joplin to St Louis and most of it is very rural. I have friend born and raised in Toronto (still lives there) and we had him saying y'all within a week, he laughed a said it was to catching but a useful term.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:

More than half using ?y?all?: 1. Mississippi ? 85.47% 2. Louisiana ? 79.30% 3. Texas ? 73.09% 4. Alabama ? 72.81% 5. South Carolina ? 71.83% 6. Georgia ? 71.15% 7. Arkansas ? 69.17% 8. North Carolina ? 66.13% 9. Tennessee ? 62.15%

Less than half using ?y?all?: 1. Oklahoma ? 46.35% 2. Virginia ? 44.03% 3. Florida ? 41.49% 4. Kentucky ? 39.00% 5. West Virginia ? 28.35% 6. Delaware ? 20.93% 7. Maryland ? 20.52% 8. Missouri ? 13.44%

interesting. it appears that it's only in the deep south states and adjoining areas that "y'all" is used by more than 50% of the population.

i think we've found our new definition of the REAL SOUTH lol

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Wow Missouri's percent is less than Maryland and Delaware, I guess I was wrong. I have driven through that state several times since childhood from Joplin to St Louis and most of it is very rural. I have friend born and raised in Toronto (still lives there) and we had him saying y'all within a week, he laughed a said it was to catching but a useful term.
*grinning a bit in recollection* When my ex-wife and I divorced, she got main custody of the kids and moved back Up North (Kansas) where she was originally from. She and I remained good friends so there was never any issue about contact and visitation with the children.

Anyway, my daughter told me (she as about 7 at the time) when she first entered her new school, some of the other kids would make fun of her for her use of "y'all." Well, she stood up pretty as you please, and said "Well, it doesn't make any sense to say "you guys" when you are talking to girls, does it?" The other kids agreed and, for a while, "y'all" became kinda "chic" on a Kansas playground! LOL

Another time, my son was taking an elective class called Career Develpment his freshman year in High Schoo. The "final exam" was the teacher giving him a contrived "job interview.". One of the questions was along the lines of "What if your car is not working and you need a way to work?

My son said "I would call one of 'y'all" to see if you could come get me."

He got a B in the final, and he asked the teacher why. The latter said (paraphrased) "Because you used the slang 'y'all'. You have to remember you are not in Texas anymore, and that word makes you sound backward and Southern."

I blew my damn stack...so help me! LOL I told him to put his mother on the phone so I could get some info on who to contact in the school district to raise all kinds of holy hell. I ranted and raved for 30 minutes or so. I threatened to speak to everybody from the local school district to the Governer.

In later years, when my son and I would laugh about it, he said from HIS perspective after describing the situation, all he could hear was loud incoherent squawks coming out the phone. When his mother (we later laughed about it too), hung up, she turned to him and said "Son, don't EVER tell your dad that somebody said anything bad about Texas or the South when I am in the house..."

Oh well, just a note of amusing local color from years gone by!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Good for you, Reb. The contraction "y'all" is simply the most efficient way to convey the meaning.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Good for you, Reb. The contraction "y'all" is simply the most efficient way to convey the meaning.
Exactly it works for males and females alike, "you guys" is for males.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
*grinning a bit in recollection* When my ex-wife and I divorced, she got main custody of the kids and moved back Up North (Kansas) where she was originally from. She and I remained good friends so there was never any issue about contact and visitation with the children.

Anyway, my daughter told me (she as about 7 at the time) when she first entered her new school, some of the other kids would make fun of her for her use of "y'all." Well, she stood up pretty as you please, and said "Well, it doesn't make any sense to say "you guys" when you are talking to girls, does it?" The other kids agreed and, for a while, "y'all" became kinda "chic" on a Kansas playground! LOL

Another time, my son was taking an elective class called Career Develpment his freshman year in High Schoo. The "final exam" was the teacher giving him a contrived "job interview.". One of the questions was along the lines of "What if your car is not working and you need a way to work?

My son said "I would call one of 'y'all" to see if you could come get me."

He got a B in the final, and he asked the teacher why. The latter said (paraphrased) "Because you used the slang 'y'all'. You have to remember you are not in Texas anymore, and that word makes you sound backward and Southern."

I blew my damn stack...so help me! LOL I told him to put his mother on the phone so I could get some info on who to contact in the school district to raise all kinds of holy hell. I ranted and raved for 30 minutes or so. I threatened to speak to everybody from the local school district to the Governer.

In later years, when my son and I would laugh about it, he said from HIS perspective after describing the situation, all he could hear was loud incoherent squawks coming out the phone. When his mother (we later laughed about it too), hung up, she turned to him and said "Son, don't EVER tell your dad that somebody said anything bad about Texas or the South when I am in the house..."

Oh well, just a note of amusing local color from years gone by!
>>>>>

<<<<<

Preach it, Brother!

Only thing better would have been looking that "teacher" in the eye and telling him off! I wouldn't expect anything less from a fellow Southerner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas