Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Texan who lives in Houston I HATE HATE HATE summer, the humidity is horrible!! I have never gotten used to it. Winter is my favorite time even though it's not cold here, but this year actually had some cold weather and I LOVED it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Its an evil heat in most of Texas during the summer like something is trying to rip your soul out of its body, like being microwaved by some sadist. You never get used to it and the best you can hope for is to endure it properly.
Great description of Texas heat. I must say though that since November, the weather has been wonderful, no need for A/C and very little need for the heater. That constitutes over five months of delightful weather. If only every year were so great. I'm praying for a cool summer, but I don't think such a thing is possible but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM

123 posts, read 359,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love north carolina View Post
i'm a native texan who lives in houston i hate hate hate summer, the humidity is horrible!! I have never gotten used to it. Winter is my favorite time even though it's not cold here, but this year actually had some cold weather and i loved it.
amen!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Great description of Texas heat. I must say though that since November, the weather has been wonderful, no need for A/C and very little need for the heater. That constitutes over five months of delightful weather. If only every year were so great. I'm praying for a cool summer, but I don't think such a thing is possible but who knows? Stranger things have happened.
It's been a full 6 months for me. My A/C wasn't on at all in Nov, and judging by my electric usage it was off for probably about the last week in Oct. Haven't had to turn it on yet, but this Thurs-Friday is supposed to reach 90 in Austin. So it may be time! Would be awesome if I could make it to May 1, though. Will definitely keep the fans going and windows open as long as I can.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Reb: I get "all stirred up and excited" when severe weather occurs, but not in a good way. What happened to Yazoo City, MS last week didn't help. I participate in the SKYWARN Net as a ham radio operator, so I'm rather tuned into it (pun intended).
I didn't know you were a SKYWARN "spotter"! I applaude to the nth degree all of y'all who volunteer your own time and money to get out "into the field" and report severe weather situations. I have a cousin (HAM operator like you) who does the same.

I used to "chase storms" a bit, but never got my radio license to become an official part of that team.

I can tell you for sure that during the "Terrible Tuesday" episode (i.e. the Red River Tornado outbreak on April 10, 1979) a lot of credit goes to guys like you who kept the rest of the communities informed as to what was going on.

Sometimes when radar is down or "attenuated", it is those actually out there reporting in to the local media and "net" that are the only "eyes" available!

In fact, I can still remember almost verbatim the words spoken by the local TV newscaster who warned people in town to take cover. Something like:

"Right now there is a tornado on the ground in Wichita Falls, Texas, according to the latest information we have received from the National Weather Service, the Texas Department of Public Safety and SKYWARN spotters..."

And the official broadcast which went out to the media was along the lines of:

IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
EBS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVIVCE HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WARNING FOR WICHITA COUNTY OF TEXAS AND THE CITY OF WICHITA FALLS.

AT 6:00 PM RADAR INDICATED A DEVELOPING TORNADO SOUTHWEST OF WICHITA FALLS. SKYWARN SPOTTERS ARE REPORTING A TORNADO ON THE GROUND IN THE SAME LOCATION.

PEOPLE IN THE CITY OF WICHITA FALLS SHOULD TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY.

No telling how many lives were saved because of that advance warning....

Quote:
We certainly agree on the ice storms! I simply stay home when it's icy. I hate the feeling of being disconnected from the road.
LOL Ain't THAT the damn truth! One time I remember sliding on the ice and KNOWING I was going to hit the car in front of me. All I could do was sit there and think...oh hell, I am going to hit and NOTHING I can do about it" LOL

Quote:
I like hot, dry weather! (To a point, of course, not like Yuma, AZ in summer!)
Well, at least during hot HUMID weather, we can go pick some okra to fry up later!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
It's been a full 6 months for me. My A/C wasn't on at all in Nov, and judging by my electric usage it was off for probably about the last week in Oct. Haven't had to turn it on yet, but this Thurs-Friday is supposed to reach 90 in Austin. So it may be time! Would be awesome if I could make it to May 1, though. Will definitely keep the fans going and windows open as long as I can.
Isn't it wonderful? I've never turned on my air before May and the earliest in May was last year sometime during the first week. It was so blasted humid, I couldn't stand it. Usually, it goes on around the third week in May and I dread listening to that thing for the following five months. Oh well, I'd dread it more if I didn't have it. Texas summers really "bite."

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Its an evil heat in most of Texas during the summer like something is trying to rip your soul out of its body, like being microwaved by some sadist. You never get used to it and the best you can hope for is to endure it properly.
LOL!!! Very true.

I always hated it when we lived in Midland and it would be 105 degrees and windy. You would think the wind would help cool you off a little, BUT NO. It's like God has a giant blow dryer pointed in your face. Your eyeballs would be crunchy! Horrible.

I have missed Texas winters since we moved to Oklahoma. I don't know if I will ever get used to the extended cold. I can say that I am as far north as I ever want to be. I can't imagine living somewhere like Wisconsin. I have however really enjoyed the fact that here in OKC we do actually have four seasons. Fall and spring here are wonderful.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You're lucky, my AC has been running since March, but I am VERY hot natured.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 AM

45 posts, read 128,975 times
I live in the Panhandle. I don't like Spring, because of the tornados and the WIND. I HATE THE WIND. HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE! It is supposed to be 50 mph today and tomorrow. HATE, HATE, HATE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas